pop-pop hour: A possibility?

I know that frequently the network lounge is empty and most people don't have hours on thier hands to wait for a game. That is why am proposing pop-pop hour. The concept is simple. You are encouraged to get into the pop-pop tracker at, say 8:00-9:00 in your time zone. Everyone else in that time zone would also be on. Then you would have someone to play. If this happens in many parts of the world, then you could log onto the pop-pop tracker at almost any time and find another person (who would be on because of pop-pop hour). Any thoughts, suggestions?

------------------
Clones are people two.
If UPS and Fed-Ex merged, would they be Fed-Up?
Play a network game of pop-pop before nobody plays and interest goes pop-pop!

Originally posted by Thunderforge:
I know that frequently the network lounge is empty...

Really? Almost every time I take a look there's at least one other person to play with; at least, if I'm willing to wait 15 minutes or so. If you just poke yr head in, see nobody, and leave... yes, the tracker does tend to seem empty. But people are often in and out, so I counsel patience! Also, you can IM folks and ask em to play--I'm always willing to play a game or two, for example. There's spots on my pop-pop players list/rankings for IM screennames, too, if you want to ask those people: so far Lumisa, Hyko and Eno have their SNs listed. (If you want to be on the list let me know!)

...and most people don't have hours on thier hands to wait for a game.

Um... looks shifty Hehe, some of us have no life. But you're right: some poppers have school and work and children and suchlike, so a designated time might make sense.

------------------
'When ambiguity is outlawed, only outlaws will be ambiguous.'
(url="http://"http://squibix.net")Squibix Web(/url)

If the lounge is empty, stay in it and wait. Don't just leave, or how will anyone ever meet someone else?!

You can keep pop-pop backgrounded (the music will not play then, if you have music on) but the sounds of someone hosting a game still will, so you can switch back when you hear that. (And/Or just host a game yourself) You can then get on with work/fun or whatever you were doing on the computer before you decided to play pop-pop while you wait. This way, other people are also tempted to at least try hosting a game, if they see someone is there, and not just leave immediately. Above all, try not to just check the web-tracker, which in my view should be banned for exactly the above reasons.

You can also suffix '-afk' to your name if you want to stay in the tracker but are not going to be around for a game.

There are almost always people around during evenings, about 7-9pm (Europe time, i.e. GMT, GMT+1, GMT+2). Most of us EU people do tend to have something approximating a life (in my own case, I guess it is quite a loose approximation, but...) therefore we are working during the day, and will generally only be on in the evenings. Oh, to be a student again 😉

(This message has been edited by Crono (edited 04-09-2003).)

I suppose that you are all correct. I should just wait a little longer. By the way Crono, what does afk stand for? I loathe AOL talk and don't have IM, so that's probably why I have no clue. And why would you want to stay in the tracker but not be around for a game?

------------------
Clones are people two.
If UPS and Fed-Ex merged, would they be Fed-Up?
Play a network game of pop-pop before nobody plays and interest goes pop-pop!

Originally posted by Thunderforge:
**I suppose that you are all correct. I should just wait a little longer. By the way Crono, what does afk stand for? I loathe AOL talk and don't have IM, so that's probably why I have no clue. And why would you want to stay in the tracker but not be around for a game?

I've never used AOL-AIM so I didn't realise it came from there. afk stands for 'away from keyboard', and you may want to indicate that you are up for a game, but won't be around for a little while - e.g. because you are making dinner etc.

------------------