pop-pop Masters Series

What’s happened to the guilds? Is the Lilly made of tin or is everyone just on holiday?

A few weeks ago I sent an email to the guys at ambrosia suggesting a pop-pop ‘Masters Series’ based on it’s tennis counterpart. Unfortunately I have as yet heard nothing back. The competition would be coordinated and managed via a dedicated web space.

If possible and assuming it is of interest, I would like ambrosia to be a part of it. As extra encouragement to register, registered users could gain a bonus point/bonus points, which could give them the edge in a tiebreaker situation. The scoring and play-off formats would be similar to those of the tennis masters series, to avoid problems with score verification each player would be asked to mail a .jpg end-game screen shot to the adjudicator i.e. me or my second in command.

I was hoping Ambrosia would donate a T-Shirt or at a push a license for one of their other games (rather than Pop-Pop otherwise what's the incentive to register prior to the tournament?). There have been a few loose tournaments but none of them have a prize. Ambrosia if you’re listening, what do you think?

Anybody else that would like to take part please post a reply here. If enough people want it, and we can rustle up some sort of prize we’ll get a proper global tournament off the ground.

------------------
“War does not
determine who is right,
war determines who is
left.”

Is this a 'master' tournament?
Or are you letting the hoard of us pro's in to be picked off ? 😄

Custard Shark

------------------

WWJD?

(This message has been edited by Custard Shark (edited 08-20-2002).)
I'll get it right soon...

(This message has been edited by Custard Shark (edited 08-20-2002).)

(quote)Originally posted by Custard Shark:
**Is this a 'master' tournament?
Or are you letting the hoard of us pro's in to be picked off ? 😄

------------------
“War does not
determine who is right,
war determines who is
left.”
**

Sounds like a good tournament! I'll be in it for sure.

{MG} Riffz

Quote

Originally posted by ~C~Cheez:
**Sounds like a good tournament! I'll be in it for sure.

{MG} Riffz**

I doubt that Ambrosia would be willing to do it, basically because they won't want to just give a serial to their programs any time Joe Shmoe wants to make a tournament. But either way, I'd be willing to join, would there have to be some sort of admission to get in? Like beating someone or can anybody just join?

------------------

I'd like to take part in a tournament-type thing, although my hours of waking are somewhat different from those of anyone living in America...

------------------

Ditto to Banana's call. It's worse for me, I'm even 3 hours ahead of him!

------------------
Hi. I'm Dingo. Can I have your baby?

I don’t think the time issue will be too much of a problem (apart from people who only have access from work), I’ve played all of you guys bar Gul Banana and I’m based in England. The tournament would run over several weeks and I’m sure when the competition gets going most of us won’t mind the odd late night. In order to facilitate times etc, a spread sheet will be created and entrants will be asked to state their preferred hours of play (GMT) on the online entry form, every effort will be made to facilitate convenient timing.

------------------
“War does not
determine who is right,
war determines who is
left.”

As for qualifying, each entrant must take a simple online pop-quiz to check that the can at least beat the computer on easy mode (i.e. what is Ducky’s secret, what is Mr Man’s fav film etc ). Then they must play as many other players within their time window (or myself – as I will not participate so as to remain impartial) and a score average will be calculated. 😄

------------------
“War does not
determine who is right,
war determines who is
left.”

Who knows, they did offer to do a beat Ambrosia day with a free license for the winner (did that ever happen?), even if a license is too much a t-shirt isn’t going to break the bank, and after all this is promoting their game. So guys what do you think? Alternatively if anybody out there wants some cheap online advertising (no I don’t want pop-ups on the site), maybe they could put up a prize. Watch this space

------------------
“War does not
determine who is right,
war determines who is
left.”

I don’t think the time issue will be too much of a problem (apart from people who only have access from work), I’ve played all of you guys bar Gul Banana and I’m based in England. The tournament would run over several weeks and I’m sure when the competition gets going most of us won’t mind the odd late night. In order to facilitate times etc, a spread sheet will be created and entrants will be asked to state their preferred hours of play (GMT) on the online entry form, every effort will be made to facilitate convenient timing.

------------------
“War does not
determine who is right,
war determines who is
left.”

Quote

Originally posted by Duckman:
**Who knows, they did offer to do a beat Ambrosia day with a free license for the winner (did that ever happen?), even if a license is too much a t-shirt isn’t going to break the bank, and after all this is promoting their game. So guys what do you think? Alternatively if anybody out there wants some cheap online advertising (no I don’t want pop-ups on the site), maybe they could put up a prize. Watch this space

**

That never did happen, and they chose to do it themselves. They most likely won't just sponsor something and give out a prize when anyone asks. And several weeks!?

------------------

Quote

Originally posted by Synotic:
**

Quote

Originally posted by Duckman:
**Who knows, they did offer to do a beat Ambrosia day with a free license for the winner (did that ever happen?), even if a license is too much a t-shirt isn’t going to break the bank, and after all this is promoting their game. So guys what do you think? Alternatively if anybody out there wants some cheap online advertising (no I don’t want pop-ups on the site), maybe they could put up a prize. Watch this space

**

That never did happen, and they chose to do it themselves. They most likely won't just sponsor something and give out a prize when anyone asks. And several weeks!?

**

Andrew is a bury person I am sure. I would recommend registering pop-pop, the other Andrew spent 3 years on the game and I think it is fair he gets his rewards for all his programming.

------------------
One step beyond!
pop-pop web board moderator.
+----------------+

And it's a such a fun game, you might as well just pay for it, eh?
🙂

------------------

Quote

Originally posted by Duckman:
As for qualifying, each entrant must take a simple online pop-quiz to check that the can at least beat the computer on easy mode (i.e. what is Ducky’s secret, what is Mr Man’s fav film etc ).

Eh? I've beaten the computer in the versus mode on easy and normal levels (I don't always win hard mode yet) and I've no idea what Mr Man's favourite film is. It just said something like "Congratulations, you are the PopMaster", have I missed something?

------------------
r<2+ T<4* cSEL dMS hEn/CB<BL A4 S+*<++ C$++L/mP W- a-- Vh+seT+ (Cantab) 1.1.4

Sorry, double-post.

(This message has been edited by ascii (edited 08-24-2002).)

To Duckman: After you've won the tournament a couple of times, you have to win on Three Rounds Expert for all the rest...

To ascii: Win on those aforementioned settings, and you'll get a very pleasant surprise 🙂

------------------

hehe, i never played the tournament on anything but 3/exp 😃

------------------

Well, as you may have guessed my bias is towards registered users, the guys at Ambrosia deserve to get paid for their efforts – hence the idea of having to complete the game to qualify. On Demo mode you only get four or five rounds – no license, no answers. If it encouraged enough people to pay-up it would be worth them offering some incentive, maybe if they see a high enough level of interest on the board they might decide to offer a prize of sorts. Unfortunately there hasn’t been the kind of up-take I would have hoped for. In the mean time myself and Riffz have started the {PM} Pop-Masters clan and will be recruiting members over the next few weeks via the tracker, with a battle of the guilds to follow at a later date. Keep posting here if you want to see the tournament become a reality or alternatively, see you on the tracker.

P.S. Anyone know where I can get pop-edit – tried version tracker and Mac game files but no joy?

------------------
“War does not
determine who is right,
war determines who is
left.”

Ha! Just found it on the web board - custom levels here we come... 😄

------------------
“War does not
determine who is right,
war determines who is
left.”

Log in to reply