Limax's Graphic Challenge

Yes Limax I acknowledge I have been posting to the exact opposite of your interests (or atleast that is what you're interpeting, I would hope) but can you seriously blame me? I myself would consider reaction to us/each other to be inevitable as such.

------------------
There are only 3 kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Society is always at loggerheads with improvement.

(This message has been edited by Joveia (edited 12-01-2002).)

Originally posted by Joveia:
**Yes Limax I acknowledge I have been posting to the exact opposite of your interests (or atleast that is what you're interpeting, I would hope) but can you seriously blame me? I myself would consider reaction to us/each other to be inevitable as such.

You must be very insecure.
Stop whining and shut up. If you have a problem with my posts and "our relationship", ignore me. It's healthier.

------------------
See I'm the king of the swingers, the Jungle V.I.P.,
But I've reached the top and had to stop,
And that's what's
botherin' me.

Originally posted by Limax:
**You must be very insecure.
Stop whining and shut up. If you have a problem with my posts and "our relationship", ignore me. It's healthier.

I do my best.

------------------
Society is always at loggerheads with improvement.

Hmmph.

If movies are allowed, (url="http://"http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg913h/UESGMovie.mov")http://www.prism.gat...h/UESGMovie.mov(/url)
A little quality was lost in the compression, but it still looks pretty damn good.
The blue things were Pallas's, but the really nifty ring and wormhole construct, as well as the spiral-y entrance of the Jjaro ship, are mine.

If they AREN'T allowed, I'll try and make a nice image for you.

------------------
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois

I'm currently in the midst of redoing the UESG Cruiser. I currently don't have any textures, and there's still some smoothing/interior decorating/armament that needs to be done, but I figured I'd post an interim version here-
Posted Image

------------------

• Dark Side: Gates gives $100m to fight HIV, $421m to fight Linux, Thomas C. Greene, The Register, 11.13. $100m over 10 years to fight AIDS in India; $421m over three to fight Linux. Priorities.

(This message has been edited by Pallas Athene (edited 12-07-2002).)

Another revision made. I overwrote the old file, so the image above points to it.

Still to come:
- LasCutter and two Kinlasers (On top, and in each nacelle, respectively)
- More texturing (Specifically, for the blazon and the interior)
- More interior design (including a "Remember the Marathon" poster, a copy of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress , by Robert A. Heinlein, and three leather comfy chairs)

------------------

• Dark Side: Gates gives $100m to fight HIV, $421m to fight Linux, Thomas C. Greene, The Register, 11.13. $100m over 10 years to fight AIDS in India; $421m over three to fight Linux. Priorities.

Originally posted by Pallas Athene:
**I'm currently in the midst of redoing the UESG Cruiser. I currently don't have any textures, and there's still some smoothing/interior decorating/armament that needs to be done, but I figured I'd post an interim version here-
Posted Image

Eliminate the blue connection things from the ship to the engines, and put them next to each other. Then widen the engines a bit.

------------------
Founder of the Democratarian party! Pro-freedom, anti-Hitler!

No.

They'll probably get a better texture at some point, but the design has remained unchanged for a year and a half, and it's not changing now. Besides, those aren't engines, they're nacelles. And the whole point of the nacelles is to keep things away from the fuselage - specifically, the kinlasers and the foldspace projectors.

------------------

**No.

They'll probably get a better texture at some point, but the design has remained unchanged for a year and a half, and it's not changing now. Besides, those aren't engines, they're nacelles. And the whole point of the nacelles is to keep things away from the fuselage - specifically, the kinlasers and the foldspace projectors.

Well, I'd better not attack your work in the future.

------------------
Founder of the Democratarian party! Pro-freedom, anti-Hitler!

(This message has been edited by Joveia (edited 12-14-2002).)

Another revision, and this time it's from an angle that doesn't show the offending blue connexions. The exterior is complete with all of the weaponry (and I've decided not to retexture the blazon sections). I might finish up the interior at some point, but it would really be more useful to make the Frigate or the Bomber, or some projectile weaponry.

------------------

**Another revision, and this time it's from an angle that doesn't show the offending blue connexions. The exterior is complete with all of the weaponry (and I've decided not to retexture the blazon sections). I might finish up the interior at some point, but it would really be more useful to make the Frigate or the Bomber, or some projectile weaponry.

Although the exterior colourings are nice, the whole forward compartment looks a bit too blockish. I like to create 2 vastly different plane-shaped polygons (i.e. no curves) and then mesh them together. People contribute oh-so-much talent for what is really such a simple process. I created I think the carrier and ESF frigate mostly that way, and most of my 'good' designs are accidents by playing with the different objects.

Oh, I also copy and paste an identical object, turn on it's head, and then intersect it. Surprising the results are they.

I guess this may not be possible in POV-ray though.

Originally posted by Joveia:
Although the exterior colourings are nice, the whole forward compartment looks a bit too blockish.

It's actually not as blockish as it looks - you're getting a bad angle of it in that respect. The front and the back both curve upwards, but said curves are obscured in this picture. Perhaps I'll render another angle of it...

(edit)
Posted Image
(/edit)

I guess this may not be possible in POV-ray though.

I don't really know. As I have said, my methods are to draw a ship, then model it perfectly with triangles. POV is capable of some complex stuff, but I've never had any reason to get into it.

Oh, and I whipped up a model for the (url="http://"http://idisk.mac.com/sfiera/Public/wcfm.png")WCFM(/url) last night. Doesn't apply to the Graphical challenge (it's a weapon), but still looks nice.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Pallas Athene (edited 12-15-2002).)

Is your designs based off'f anything? Like a picture of a marathon ship from Craig mullins artwork (though I know of no such thing.) Because if it isn't, fair's bet that you should just design from what you think is right, and not necessarily pay attention to 'typical' ideas of boxy human ships with warp nacelles, or equivalents. Indeed, my idea of a spaceship is one large, meshed together object. It is reasonable to assume if we can build aerodynamic aircraft - not the LEAST bit boxy - then we can do the same with spaceships. Considering the 50 billion dollars technology, building 'boxy' to be more 'utilitarian' and save 'expenses' (either time or money) is completely wrongheaded by all accounts. The future human spacecraft will not be the least boxy.

------------------
There are only 3 kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't.

Well, in the original Marathon, just about everything was boxy. Admittedly, this was a limitation of the 2.5D engine they were using, but I actually like the look. I only call those things Nacelles because I don't have a better word for them. I suppose "weapons pod" could work, since that's the other function.

The UESG was never really into "form" either, as we know from terminal information. The CRISTs looked like giant space potatoes*, and the Marathon itself was a converted moon - Deimos Rising in a literal sense**.

Also, the boxiness adds contrast. All of the races in M:Inv have their own distinct appearances. Pfhor are pointy, Nar spherical, Jjaro spindly, S'pht smooth... one would expect at least one of the races to be boxy.

*Start peelin'!
**A "Remember the Marathon" poster is two-sided propoganda. To a Terran, it's encouragement to fight the Pfhor. To a Martian, it serves as a reminder of the UESC's abuses. They were never all that nice to Mars...

------------------

Jjaro look like modern art table lamps.
They're actually mathematical functions that are duplicated and rotated repeatedly.
Well, sets of those.

The movie above went down as I went over my server alocation.
Besides, we're redoing all the movies anyway.

------------------
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois

(This message has been edited by Fleet Admiral Darkk (edited 12-16-2002).)