Limax's Graphic Challenge

Pat, you seem a bit eager to promote POV-ray on these boards. I believe I can make a better-looking ship in StrataVision 3D 4.0 (a 1995 program) than you can in the latest version of POV Ray. I challenge you to match my work in quality and complexity.

The Way this challenge will work, I start off with a picture. You then match it, and post another picture for someone else to match, ad infinitum.

Anyone is welcome to participate in this Contest, just state what Program you used when you post your picture.

Let's start with something simple and work our way up:
Posted Image

------------------
See I'm the king of the swingers, the Jungle V.I.P.,
But I've reached the top and had to stop,
And that's what's
botherin' me.

My old contest with you was still going on, before it was terminated.

Unfortunately my server no longer accepts images.

------------------
There are only 3 kinds of people: those who can count, and those who can't.
opinion change 9/24/02: Human society is a complex metaphor for slavery.

I suppose you'll be recycling everything over slug? Or isn't that the ship I saw a while ago.. or some minor variation.

------------------

Joveia, if you want to participate I'd be happy to host img's on my server for you.

Limax: I don't actually use POV, just recommend it( so much for practicing what you preach, heh )

I use Strata StudioPro 2.5.3.

------------------
look! its a signature!

(revised comment)

Pat, I would, but all of my images have been done a while ago and I simply can back myself up with any new talent right now. Somewhat dumb, considering I spend so much time playing Deus Ex or other games.

If it's ok I'll tell you which one is 'better'. Naturally slugs challenge isn't really fair, since I imagine both of you will want to crank out better images all the time.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Joveia (edited 11-24-2002).)

Originally posted by Limax:
The Way this challenge will work, I start off with a picture. You then match it, and post another picture for someone else to match, ad infinitum.

Can I recommend something? Thin out the body a bit more. It seems a bit bulkier than it has to be. I meant - the middle of the ship in the 2nd segment. Lots of space is used up there, and I know most of my designs follow this rule, which is the (same) 3 segment block - command, adjoining, and engine. I generally use this for most stuff and it looks nice. You're way of doing things is so that you have 3 segments all joined up with no noticeable difference in the middle? I can't say there's a logical reason for my design considering we aren't space age yet, on this scale, but I know that I always try and save space in my ships that isn't being used for 'grey stuff' or whatever I call it.

The reason I posted is that I seem to be having a little too less sleep and a little too much sugar, if you're wondering why I seem to have a lack of erm, life.

------------------

Originally posted by Joveia:
**I suppose you'll be recycling everything over slug? Or isn't that the ship I saw a while ago.. or some minor variation.

No, this contest won't be using pre-made images. We actually make the ships for each submission after seeing the other person's.
If I might add, if you don't wish to participate, please refrain from making snyde comments.

------------------
And that's what's
botherin' me.

**No, this contest won't be using pre-made images. We actually make the ships for each submission after seeing the other person's.
If I might add, if you don't wish to participate, please refrain from making snyde comments.

If I may, can I point out my comment wasn't snyde at all, and that I think you are feeling a little overprotective of your work?

------------------

**Pat, you seem a bit eager to promote POV-ray on these boards. I believe I can make a better-looking ship in StrataVision 3D 4.0 (a 1995 program) than you can in the latest version of POV Ray. I challenge you to match my work in quality and complexity.

Heh, I promote POV. But that's only because I like entering in vertex positions and vertex normals manually. It's somewhat masochistic, so I can't expect others to do the same. I can't say much for the complexity of my shapes (and my ships need some retexturing as well), but then again, that's a good thing in some respects. Since my ships hardly even reach 200 triangles, they'd work rather well in a game that rendered ships in-game.

I'm not actually entering this (at least, not yet), but here's a demonstration of my work:
Posted Image
I think I designed that... 2 years ago? Of course, I was never able to create it to model the drawing exactly until I started using POV.

------------------

• Dark Side: Gates gives $100m to fight HIV, $421m to fight Linux, Thomas C. Greene, The Register, 11.13. $100m over 10 years to fight AIDS in India; $421m over three to fight Linux. Priorities.

(This message has been edited by Pallas Athene (edited 11-24-2002).)

That ship looks awfully close to one StarLance ship you posted...

It all depends on the person(and how much time they have) rather then the program. I suppose there are some things programs without elemental features, but most things can be overcome with lots of time and tedious work. So you probably can to great things in Pov-ray, it'll just take 500 years.

I stick to strata.

------------------
"...For what we see now is only a shadow of things to come..."

Err...

------------------
Freedom is ignorance.
Slavery is power.
Knowledge is nothing.

Originally posted by Skyfox:
**That ship looks awfully close to one StarLance ship you posted...

It all depends on the person(and how much time they have) rather then the program. I suppose there are some things programs without elemental features, but most things can be overcome with lots of time and tedious work. So you probably can to great things in Pov-ray, it'll just take 500 years.

I stick to strata.

There is essentially only one feature that POV lacks: the ability to manipulate your model graphically. Since it doesn't render your model in realtime, it's impossible to drag a shape to the position you want it.

The implication is that a POV-based model will not stay as true to the original concept - which is not the case at all. If I were to show you the Strata-based model, the POV-based model, and the concept drawing for my Pfhor Destroyer, you would see that the Strata model kind of sucks, and the POV model is indistinguishable from the design.

Arguably, if I had spent a lot more time on the Strata model, I would have been more successful. So I suppose your statement holds - given lots of time and tedious work, I could have overcome the limitations. Of Strata.

------------------

• Dark Side: Gates gives $100m to fight HIV, $421m to fight Linux, Thomas C. Greene, The Register, 11.13. $100m over 10 years to fight AIDS in India; $421m over three to fight Linux. Priorities.

I would have lightwave by now if I went to school. The problem is they discount you only with a signature from a instructor in the arts of graphics. So basically it's still on the shelf at 3000 dollars or something. I think that is rather overpriced, but yet, the market seems to like it so... cleverly overpriced.

------------------
Freedom is ignorance.
Slavery is power.
Knowledge is nothing.

Joveia

I'm lucky I caught that - in the time between my noticing it and my posting it, your posts went up to 1339.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Pallas Athene (edited 11-27-2002).)

Originally posted by Pallas Athene:
**I'm lucky I caught that - in the time between my noticing it and my posting it, your posts went up to 1339.

Yes, but I believe a topic has been posted about it somewhere else, so if I made a topic about it it would be unoriginal??? One of the more common occurrences among people who have apparently no life.

(no offense.)

Limax has gone hasn't he?

------------------
Boo.

**Limax has gone hasn't he?

Dunno.

------------------
And that's what's
botherin' me.

**Dunno.

Very clever (as if to infer that while you have been back, yet someone could misinterpret it)

------------------
There are only 3 kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Society is always at loggerheads with improvement.

**Very clever (as if to infer that while you have been back, yet someone could misinterpret it)

Shut up, Joveia.

------------------
And that's what's
botherin' me.

Nothing except what I would expect.

Your unconscious is as irresponsible as usual, I see.

------------------
There are only 3 kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Society is always at loggerheads with improvement.

Er... subconscious?

------------------