I need a bit of help...

I need li'l help with EVN. Having no EV-related technical experience, I wouldn't know where to start with making a plugin. Even if I had most of ships, storyline, and sound effects already finished.

If someone does have experience, then I would be willing to make a team in porting unfinished SETR to the EVN engine.

------------------
There are only 3 kinds of people: those who can count, and those who can't.

I tinkered a bit with EV-Edit and the Nova dat. I wanted to see if the new data still had similar formats to the old data. So I went into Res-Edit and redefined the type as the old EV format (on duplicates). I put the aliases in and all and booted EV-Edit, but no luck> I wanted to see if there was a way to convert the ship sprites into pict files, just like EV-Edit does, but it wouldn't work. One could take Hera and import a sprite from a file. When you define the specs of the sprite - the size of the cells, you could take a screenshot of the whole layout of the sprite, but I'm pretty sure that unless you have a pict file already, you can't import anyway. Well, enough talking in circles, I hope I said something valuable.

------------------
"You will find that your device is highly non-functional...." - Bad Guy

Well, I guess all of us will be learning something new.

------------------

How can you change a resource file (such as shďp) into a pict file. If you could take the SMIV resources and convert them into picts then you would have no problems. It would just be a matter of transferring it all into ship resources, although I don't know if the EVO ship resources are the same as the EVN ship resources. If they are then it is a simple matter of using Ev-Edit to import the picts, turn them into data which is recognizable by Nova, and then transfer the spins. You could simply take the ship and spin files and, through res-edit, put them into a blank EVN plug.

Sounds so simple, doesn't it? 😉

------------------
"You will find that your device is highly non-functional...." - Bad Guy

I'm not interested in SMIVs. I think the subject of Ares files was discussed alot before. Not sure whether they figured out a way.

------------------

I've taken a crash course into Nova, by creating my own ship! Hoo-nez, it's quite nice.

------------------

Uh, Joveia?
You can't even finish the Ares version of SETR and yet you want to port it to EV:N!?
Compared to Ares, making a plug for EV:N is much harder. Even if you have all the information, you have to implement it.

I predict it to fail.

------------------
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/benedwards/.cv/benedwards/Public/Ares1.2/StarsAreFire%3AC4.sit-binhex.hqx")The Stars Are Fire(/url)-A TC for Ares

How pessimistic 🙂 Unfortunate that Joveia wants to port it to EVN instead of finishing it though, because I dont have or plan to get EV:N 😕

------------------
" 'Tis a dangerous thing to engage the authority of scripture in disputes about the natural world, in opposition to reason; lest time, which brings all things to light, should discover that to be evidently false which we had made scripture to assert....We are not to suppose that any truth concerning the natural world can be an enemy to religion; for truth cannot be an enemy to truth, God is not divided against himself" Thomas Burnett, 17th century clergyman and geologist.

Skyfox, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

------------------

Originally posted by Skyfox:
**Uh, Joveia?
You can't even finish the Ares version of SETR and yet you want to port it to EV:N!?
Compared to Ares, making a plug for EV:N is much harder. Even if you have all the information, you have to implement it.

I predict it to fail.

actually programming in ares is a lot harder then EV:N unless your just doing dumb cheat plugs. Ares programming seems simple until you do it, then you hit a wall real fast. Because the ares engine wasnt meant for editing the bugs in hera prevent full implementation of many features, forcing one to find ways around them. EVN is a solid engine that was designed with editing as a prime concept, so is very easy to edit.

------------------
It's Difficult To Comprehend How Insane Some People Can Be. Especially When You're Insane.
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number;=60&SUBMIT;=Go")visit the just games forum or die!(/url)

On the other hand, Ares's engine is far more suited to complexities, and if you learn how to use it right, you don't even have to stick to space in the setting for a game.
And, for those who know Ares well, you can find a way around almost any one of its limitations (with a few vital exceptions)

------------------
"Welcome to our Pirate outpost. Please enjoy your stay, and realize that any irregular actions can and will be used against you in the afterlife."

No, what Skyfox failed to realise is that I never stopped SETR. I just moved on to better things. So if I didn't stop it, then it can't have 'failed' right? Oh, the biggest problem with this is finishing it before 2005...

------------------

Originally posted by Pallas Athene:
**...you don't even have to stick to space in the setting for a game...

Really.

Now how the heck do you do that? I assume you mean changing the background from stars to dirt or water...

------------------
" 'Tis a dangerous thing to engage the authority of scripture in disputes about the natural world, in opposition to reason; lest time, which brings all things to light, should discover that to be evidently false which we had made scripture to assert....We are not to suppose that any truth concerning the natural world can be an enemy to religion; for truth cannot be an enemy to truth, God is not divided against himself" Thomas Burnett, 17th century clergyman and geologist.

Originally posted by Joveia:
**No, what Skyfox failed to realise is that I never stopped SETR. I just moved on to better things. So if I didn't stop it, then it can't have 'failed' right? Oh, the biggest problem with this is finishing it before 2005...

Originally posted by Joveia:
**...SETR cancelled...

You are funny Joveia, you contradict what you say.

------------------
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/benedwards/.cv/benedwards/Public/Ares1.2/StarsAreFire%3AC4.sit-binhex.hqx")The Stars Are Fire(/url)-A TC for Ares

(This message has been edited by Skyfox (edited 06-06-2002).)

I said I moved on to better things. I believe I've indicated elsewhere, but obviously not here, but I'll say it here. I've cancelled SETR because it wasn't suitable for EVN. So there, it's no contradication. I've just 'moved on', but shouldn't I suppose, have used 'SETR cancelled.'

Your willingness to argue with me on this is somewhat confusing. Quite clearly, if I say I never stopped working on a plugin, then I haven't.

------------------

This is a very confusing and useless argument.

------------------
Fear Me!
(AoEp)The lo : ar you on a clan? Col. Patrick : ya, eastlegion; hence the (EL) tag
(AoEp)The lo : can you wait a sec. please Col. Patrick : sure (AoEp)The lo : wich is your mag nick? Col. Patrick : Patrick (AoEp)The lo : are you the second of the ladder? Col. Patrick : yep Col. Patrick : thats me (AoEp)The lo : oh Col. Patrick : heh (AoEp)The lo : oh i can´t play with you cya!

I guess I made myself clear, then. As soon as I register EVN, I'll turn this into a log and also upload various little tidbits.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Joveia (edited 06-09-2002).)

Originally posted by Patrick:
**Now how the heck do you do that? I assume you mean changing the background from stars to dirt or water...

Yes, although you have to add in appropriate physics as well.

------------------
"Welcome to our Pirate outpost. Please enjoy your stay, and realize that any irregular actions can and will be used against you in the afterlife."

I see. Care to enlighten me on how you "modify the physics" and change the background? I have looked around in the resource files before and not found the data for the parallax stars.

------------------
"It could be argued that MacOS X is less of an operating system and more of a screen saver (puts up pretty images for you to stare at while preventing you from actually getting work done)."
-mcb

There are no sprite objects

Non-collidable sprite objects, with activation actions set to decrease speed, BTW.

------------------