Remeniscance

It's now been four or five years since I discovered a little game on a disc of MacAddict. I read about it before, somplete with cheesy-looking screenshots, and decided to give it a shot (at my age, I was almost solely interested on the "Fun and Games" folders on the CDs). I was going into 9th grade, and bored, when I installed Ares.
The cheesy music and title screen floored me. I sat back at the menu and watched the demo play - 'cool!' I thought to myself as Space Race: The Musical unfolded on my screen. I clicked play, and the rest is history.
I joined the webboards, acted like a tard for the first hundred posts, then decided to clean up my act .
I rememebr walking home from school (a good 5 miles, so I had some thinking time) and thinking of what to post next in the Ares RPG, or what hack to make with ResEdit and release to the files section (this was long before Hera). I remember, at first, getting my butt kicked off GameRanger (back when there were about a dozen Ares games going on at any given instant), playing nice and getting back on, and becoming a moderator for the Ares boards while the community was at it's peak.
Everything seems to have fallen apart since then, but I couldn't help but remenisce about the "good old days" when I just downloaded Ares on my laptop, in college. I remember these characters who helped shape the boards. The old crew:
- Slug
- Sundered Angel
- Sargatanus (or Admiral Sargatanus - s######)
- Laguna
- Fleet Admiral Darkk
- Pallas Athene
- Commander Cicion (now Taeskor Cicion)
- Garbage man
- Patrick
- Mag Steelglass
- Joveia
- El Spamo
- Captain Pharris
- Zeta (or omnizeta)
- EMINEM
- Pyro

------------------
If you want to win anything-a race, your self, your life-you have to go a little berserk.

(This message has been edited by Slug (edited 11-21-2003).)

Hmm... can't help but thinking there must be a few names missing from your list. At the very least, some of the earlier mods should probably be there
- Cotton Mouse
- Vegeta
- Pax

Another person I seem to remember was Boba Fett, although I can't for the life of me remember anything other than his name and his Homeworld-loving-acquaintance Xyrus.

Don't remember Garbage Man myself... and it's interesting that EMINEM made the list. I suppose he certainly helped shape the boards, although not necessarily for the better.

------------------
(~%) ssh localhost
The authenticity of host 'localhost (127.0.0.1)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 93:33:b4:fc:b8:03:b4:45:15:31:99:1a:a3:1f:a5:ac.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?

Ah, those were the days. I was in seventh grade myself when I discovered Ares and shortly thereafter the forums. Some of those names sure do bring me back, Slug ol' pal. Brings me back to the first big RPG-at least, the first I was part of anyway- The Ring. Now that was an epic battle. shortly thereafter was the opening of the ol Bar, too. Ah, good stuff.

------------------
-Traek Cicion, barkeep extraordinaire
"PS: If nothing's working around here, it's because I'm laughing so hard."
-Durandal

I miss the first RPG. People REPLIED to that one. People PARTICIPATED in that one.

------------------
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois
Onii7/Frinkruds and his funky forums
macgamer.net

I never participated; all I heard was that it was big and had problems with superweapons.

But maybe it's time to free ourselves from strict confines of the Ares universe... I mean, there's something to be said for a gigantic space opera.

------------------
(~%) ssh localhost

Originally posted by Fleet Admiral Darkk:
**I miss the first RPG. People REPLIED to that one. People PARTICIPATED in that one.

People had fun in that one.

------------------
"What we do not know, we cannot begin to understand."

Originally posted by Pallas Athene:
**Hmm... can't help but thinking there must be a few names missing from your list. At the very least, some of the earlier mods should probably be there
- Cotton Mouse
- Vegeta
- Pax

Another person I seem to remember was Boba Fett, although I can't for the life of me remember anything other than his name and his Homeworld-loving-acquaintance Xyrus.

Don't remember Garbage Man myself... and it's interesting that EMINEM made the list. I suppose he certainly helped shape the boards, although not necessarily for the better.

Of course, I knew I would leave some names out. I think EMINEM contributed positively to the boards - every community needs a village idiot.

------------------
If you want to win anything-a race, your self, your life-you have to go a little berserk.

I think we have more than our fair share of village idiots in Trash Talk 😉 EMINEM was probably more of a village leper - throw him coins, but don't let him touch you 😛

Now that I think of it, Newt was also a mod, correct? But I suppose the list hardly matters, as most have departed.

------------------
(~%) ssh localhost

Originally posted by Pallas Athene:
**Now that I think of it, Newt was also a mod, correct? But I suppose the list hardly matters, as most have departed.

Crikey, I had forgotten all about him. That was a while ago.

------------------

Well, I sort of remember it as follows:
Early mods: Pax, Vegeta, the Admiral himself
Middle mods: Newt, Slug, Cotton Mouse
Late mods: SA, Laguna, Sargatanus

...and now I'm hoping I haven't left anyone out 😉
(Note that I'm more judging by time at which the person in question left modship)

By the time of the UEC RPG, I think that the Early mods had already left, but I still remember Newt being around, albeit in a much more limited role. Now that I think of it, who was in the Axis anyway? I can't remember all of them, as the site disappeared not long after I arrived.

------------------
(~%) ssh localhost

I think Newt vanished before Pax and Vegeta's legacies ended. I don't remember them actually posting (more than once in a random "wow, I remember this place" post) but I recall Pax and Vegeta had their names on something (chronicles? newswire? trash talk?) for quite some time late 2000. I don't really remember Newt at all.

------------------
"What we do not know, we cannot begin to understand."

Hmm... it's possible that I'm confusing Newt with El Spamo, but I had thought Newt stayed on longer. Is there a moderator graveyard somewhere we could check?

Given that he didn't post any later than Jan. 01, I suppose you must be right. Who am I thinking of, then? All I remember for certain was that he was from Alaska and was into the RPGs. And now that I check El Spamo's profile, I suppose "Fairbanks, Alaska" suggests I'm thinking of him.

I suppose now I have to wonder why I confused those two in particular...

------------------
(~%) ssh localhost

(This message has been edited by Pallas Athene (edited 11-24-2003).)