Your Personality

As we know, the races in Ares have personalities, and these personalities vary quite a bit. Outside of the internet, what race's psyche profile resembles your normal everday personality the most? (And don't all go and choose Aud!)

I would have to say I'm quite like the Ishiman. I'm quiet, don't talk much, don't really have any enemies, and I hope quite intelligent.

I think that's mostly like me. But then, there's one little "addition"; if you anger me, I go berserk (good thing it's hard to anger me 😉 ). I might be a little closer to the Obish in that sense.

------------------
"Once, just once, I'd like to be able to land somewhere and say, 'Behold, I am the Archangel Gabriel.'"
"I fail to see the humor in that situation, Doctor."
"Naturally. You could hardly claim to be an angel with those pointed ears, Mister Spock. But say you landed someplace with a pitchfork "

Hmmmm mmmmmm I know Elejeetian, I'm very quiet, I don't try and make friends, I always with for other peopel to do that for me. Not good but that is just me(of course no one sees me that way).

------------------
VOULEZ-VOUSCOUCHERAVECMOICESOIR?

I am human because hmmmm.... I am HUMAN! I thought most of us were human (exluding slug). How come people have to get all nerdy and try and relate themselves to a games host of races. Ares is cool but it isnt a lifestyle. Any thoughts?

------------------
Nada nada

(This message has been edited by 21st Century Drug Lords (edited 07-10-2001).)

Deffinately the Sals.

Hmm. Maybe the Obish - I make friends with a very select group, and have a group I dislike and would feed to the Cantharans at first opportunity.

------------------
Formerly-Rampant Human-Coded AI

Heh i think i'm going to have to go with the drug lord over there on this one.. :frown:

------------------
ramble on..
--Jimmy Page
(list)
(*)(1st Class Zacha Admiral and guitar legend throughout the sol system.)

Originally posted by 21st Century Drug Lords:
**I am human because hmmmm.... I am HUMAN! I thought most of us were human (exluding slug). How come people have to get all nerdy and try and relate themselves to a games host of races. Ares is cool but it isnt a lifestyle. Any thoughts?

Well if you look were i'm from, You'll see that i do not come from this world. But i'm most like the Elejeetins.

------------------
VOULEZ-VOUSCOUCHERAVECMOICESOIR?

Originally posted by 21st Century Drug Lords:
**I am human because hmmmm.... I am HUMAN! I thought most of us were human (exluding slug). How come people have to get all nerdy and try and relate themselves to a games host of races. Ares is cool but it isnt a lifestyle. Any thoughts?

Aren't you contradicting your own opinion by even acknowledging that Slug is a sal?

Hrm... I'd have to go with Obish as well, I guess.

------------------

Ahh, Obish is very popular it seems.

Ahh, from now on, I'd like a little more ranting in this topic. Being the only active topic (it seems) on the Ares briefing room, I think we need to expand our horizons here...

First off, I'd like to say that I've analyzed the problems facing the Ares webboards very thoroughly:

1. It's declining lack of active members
  2. Ares is becoming a little dated
  3. Very little replayability
  4. Inactive mods

Now, for number 1, it's a frequent misconception that we don't have many ares players. There are lots of people on GR who have ares, scroll through their names and about 30% of them do. This means a truly large amount of people know of ambrosia and in all likelihood the webboards. That people aren't posting means that they're either frightened of posting, or that they have nothing to post. People, have you looked at the topics over the past few weeks? Nothing practically related to Ares' fun gameplay, no wonder people aren't coming here to stay. What do they see? Stuff that doesn't concern them.

2, Ares is a little dated, but that's no bar to playing it. For plugin designers, that's no bar to making a plug either. You toil and sweat to make a plug, but you're work isn't wasted if no one appears to play ares. Port to EVN, you've done the hard work already.

3 Ares has little replayability... if all you do is play single players and multies. Sure, it's fun to have a multi game, but the tactics for races have no really big difference, and ships are more or less the same for every race, the only thing different is whether a pulse will do 50, 100, 200 damage. This can be fixed by going into Hera and making arcade games, or getting a TC. Since currently the only TC's are in people's personal computers, getting them will be a little difficult. I know for a fact that if someone I knew on the webboards asked me 'Can I beta test SETR?' I would email him the next beta.

4, now it's kind of disheartening to see our mods (with the exception of Laguna) take little or no interest in the Ares community. Right now, the Ares community isn't run by mods, it's run by it's collective members. I suppose the mods are too busy looking at EVN webboards or the image gallery to bother with this old board. With the exception of a few isolated posts, Sargatanus and Sundered Angel haven't been seen or heard for a while, when the classic definition of a moderator is someone who, as well as moderating, is here at the heart of the ares community. I find it pretty disappointing all-round, and I advise them to stop neglecting their duty by actually participating more and help liven it up around here.

Comments? (I'll probably get nailed to the wall for number 4 but I'm a martyr so there!)

(This message has been edited by Count Altair El Alemein (edited 07-11-2001).)

Some of us have lives outside of the Ares Web boards. I can't speak for any of the other mods (or other members who are expected to be active) but my life has been quite busy lately, and frequenting a web board has been pretty low on my priority list.

------------------
The Oracular Net would like to know your favorite color
(url="http://"http://www.axisnet.f2s.com")=Axis Software Integrated=(/url)

I must point out however that SA is on vacation somewhere at the moment. (Think he said New Zealand)

And I assume he isn't the only one on holiday.

------------------

Originally posted by Laguna:
**I must point out however that SA is on vacation somewhere at the moment. (Think he said New Zealand)

And I assume he isn't the only one on holiday.

He's got a tiny point, we would like to hear more from SA. 😛

------------------
"I'm a controversial figure. My friends either dislike me or hate me."

Ahh, well since we all had such a nice chat with each other today, some of the problems raised by question 4 have been dissolved.

NEW RANT TOPIC:

THAT THERE IS NOTHING TO POST ABOUT ON THE ARES WEBBOARDS:

As has been made clear to me, the main reason Sarg/SA (when he is here) don't post all that much is because there is nothing worthwhile to post about. This seems perfectly fine, we don't want mods spamming do we? But since there must be a cause for the webboard's less than successful post rate, I went to examine the EV webboards for a brief spell, and this is what I found:

1. Most of the EVO webboard topics are questions, and raise about 5 responses average.
  2. There is an inordinate amount of bars.

1, now, the wealth of a webboard is not it's veterans, such as myself, but it's newbies. Newbies give us things to talk about, they promote many topics on webboards, and eventually flower into regular commuters on boards. Now then, suppose I take away all the plugs in EVO. How many posts does the EVO board have now? About one page's worth, in fact, only abit more than ours. So accordingly, bringing out TC's, really good quality TC's, for Ares is what we need, because then newbies will ask questions and eventually become old timers. (The life cycle of a board's member).

2, well, the initial shock of having EVO has worn off, and now questions directly related to EVO are rare. We have suffered the same problem, and there solution is to set up lots of bars, to attract members and large post counts. This seems fairly sensible, though we use polls and idiotic topics like this one.

So it would seem there aren't enough newbies on the ares webboards. Why? Because newbies don't have anything to post about. Why? Because there is no worthwhile, directly related to ares topics there. Why? Because the old members have been old for too long and have grown sick of posting them. Why? (and it loops.)

Well, it would seem the problem is not them but us. Get new addons out, advertise them, make more polls and according to my analysis, more people will come and possibly become old timers.

(This message has been edited by Count Altair El Alemein (edited 07-12-2001).)

It seems that this topic would fit more appropriately in here. Sorry if this caused any confusion.

------------------
The Oracular Net would like to know your favorite color
(url="http://"http://www.axisnet.f2s.com")=Axis Software Integrated=(/url)

I don't think I'll get any more replies on this topic, anyway my last analysis was pretty much correct - a couple of people agreed with me on GR.

Originally posted by Count Altair El Alemein:
Now, for number 1, it's a frequent misconception that we don't have many ares players. There are lots of people on GR who have ares, scroll through their names and about 30% of them do. This means a truly large amount of people know of ambrosia and in all likelihood the webboards. That people aren't posting means that they're either frightened of posting, or that they have nothing to post. People, have you looked at the topics over the past few weeks? Nothing practically related to Ares' fun gameplay, no wonder people aren't coming here to stay. What do they see? Stuff that doesn't concern them.

Absolutely true. Right now we have an 11-member community scattered around 6 boards, making it just plain intimidating for newbies to come, sift throught everything, and post. I've been talking with Andrew Welch on this and he told me he's most likely to merge all the Ares boards into 2 boards, and maybe a chronicles.

2, Ares is a little dated, but that's no bar to playing it. For plugin designers, that's no bar to making a plug either. You toil and sweat to make a plug, but you're work isn't wasted if no one appears to play ares. Port to EVN, you've done the hard work already.

Ah, but it is a bar. Here are 5 reasons to make a plug for Nova instead for Ares:

1. Hardly anyone plays Ares anymore. If you have seen the latest plugins, they've had a few hundred downloads at most. Nova will be downloaded and played by many thousands of fans.
  2. It is much more difficult, as Hera is (in my opinion) buggier than EV-Edit
  3. Simply put, Ares has it's limitations. 256 colors, uneditable defaults, and non-flexible gameplay can only go so far. Nova seems limitless from what I've seen.
  4. More people will be around to appreciate a TC for EV3 than Ares.
  5. It is easier to make a great plugin for Nova than a good plugin for Ares.

3 Ares has little replayability... if all you do is play single players and multies. Sure, it's fun to have a multi game, but the tactics for races have no really big difference, and ships are more or less the same for every race, the only thing different is whether a pulse will do 50, 100, 200 damage. This can be fixed by going into Hera and making arcade games, or getting a TC. Since currently the only TC's are in people's personal computers, getting them will be a little difficult. I know for a fact that if someone I knew on the webboards asked me 'Can I beta test SETR?' I would email him the next beta.

No comment.

4, now it's kind of disheartening to see our mods (with the exception of Laguna) take little or no interest in the Ares community. Right now, the Ares community isn't run by mods, it's run by it's collective members. I suppose the mods are too busy looking at EVN webboards or the image gallery to bother with this old board. With the exception of a few isolated posts, Sargatanus and Sundered Angel haven't been seen or heard for a while, when the classic definition of a moderator is someone who, as well as moderating, is here at the heart of the ares community. I find it pretty disappointing all-round, and I advise them to stop neglecting their duty by actually participating more and help liven it up around here.

The sad part is, we don't really need them any more:

Noone is bothered enough to spam the Ares boards any more.
There are no more chronicles or newswires being released.
We haven't seen anything except previews for plugins that float in eternal beta for months.
There are, at most, two new topics a day on all of the Ares forums.
Andrew Welch has decided not to fill the 4th moderator slot.

------------------
Time is the best teacher, yet it kills all of it's students.

Uhh, I disagree about EVN having a better engine than Ares. In many respects, it's far more primative, especially in gameplay areas.
EVN's engine is very flexible in the RPG department, but as inflexable as it ever was in the combat department.
It can't do weapons with weapons, hull-penetrating weapons, or many cool things than can be done with Ares.

------------------
Formerly-Rampant Human-Coded AI

Darkk is right - Ares engine is a work of genius, except for a few defects which EVN unfortunately will override.

• No matter what one does, continuous lasers are ALWAYS turreted in Ares. Personally, I think it should be the other way round.
  • For a combat wargame thing, ares has an astonishly low ship limit
  • There 256 colours in ares, and thousands in EVN. I can't make all my races grey, and if I don't then I have to make my race texture fit in with ares colour table. This is too bad if you're race was originally designed NOT to be light blue/vomit green/bright orange.

I might have missed some - but that's basically it. In every other thing (excepting roleplaying etc..) her' is bett'r.

It lags behind in roleplaying, but with sufficient scripting it's possible to create an RPG. It would take a year or two to make a good one though.

If I can get the time, there's a project I have in mind that could be very useful in the department we're talking about here. But I'd need quite a large amount of REALBasic practice.

------------------
"Once, just once, I'd like to be able to land somewhere and say, 'Behold, I am the Archangel Gabriel.'"
"I fail to see the humor in that situation, Doctor."
"Naturally. You could hardly claim to be an angel with those pointed ears, Mister Spock. But say you landed someplace with a pitchfork "