Thanks for everything!

Hey everyone!

It has been a very long time since I stepped foot in these forums, and it's for a pretty good reason that I do now, I think.

I don't know how many of you are still here from 2003/2004 but if any of you are, I wanted to thank you.

I was only 15 at the time, and didn't know what I wanted to do, just that I loved EV. This led to me dabbling with 3D software, getting my hands into the resource forks and finding out what made the game tick.

Fast forward to now, after a lot of ups and downs, and I've just finished a Bachelor of Games design degree, spent the past few years honing my 3D skills around other assignments, and am now working in the industry as a 3D Artist. Funnily enough, making aircraft atm. Though I've also worked at another studio making swords, shields, helmets and, of course, crates! I deal with code, with audio and primarily modelling. All thanks to EV.

I just want to say a big thanks to the community here for helping back then; for being so helpful and patient and nurturing a young kids love of space and video games into a career. And a massive thanks to the actual devs of EV for making such a fantastic game that sparked a now lifelong obsession. 😄

For those who weren't around then, but are getting into it now. Keep it up! Keep experimenting with code, with modelling. Keep making things!

Happy to answer questions, if any of you have any!

Regards,
Virmor/Kamisama (wow those names... so much nostalgia)

I wasn't around back then, but I'll pipe in anyway. Glad to hear that EV impacted you so positively. All three EV games made me lose a lot of sleep, miss homework, and probably gave me a pretty severe Vitamin D deficiency. Even then, I knew it was bad for my grades and overall health, but I couldn't stop.

Ironically enough, now it's something I look back on and have fewer regrets about. It's made me curious about all kinds of things that I thought I'd have no interest in: math, programming, and it's turning me into a true learner.

I was just thinking the same thing ...

I was around in 2008 and wanted to write a cross-platform editor ... I was completely clueless at the time, but this was the place that got me started.

I eventually gave up on RezEditor because by the time I knew what I was doing, I realized the futility of writing yet another editor for a game that wasn't even open-source itself.

Nowadays, I'm busy maintaining the server code for an open-source project, The Mana World. EVN still holds a place in my heart, but if I ever came back, it would be in writing a replacement game engine, not an editor (it would use text files for configuration. Binary is evil when it's just a one-time cost of loading!). The programming part is certainly within my abilities now, and I know a lot more about sweet-talking artists and herding scripters than I used to.

But is it just a dream? There are plenty of people who could program a new game, it's just a matter of time, and I have years more work on TMWA until it's as sane as I would like it to be.