SPOB Flag Question

What happens if I do THIS?

I'm working on SPOBs in EVN:UGF, and I started working on the few Kyrzakagalan planets. It occurred to me to ask, what is the effect of turning on the "SPOB is inhabited" flag, but leaving the "player can land here" flag off?

The planet would appear inhabited on radar and players would be able to hail it. They just can't land.

Oookay. Upon trying to land, would we get the "planet's environment is inhospitable" message, or "landing clearance denied"?

Why not try it and find out? I'm afraid to, myself. It might blow up my computer or something.

😉

Inhospitable.

So, it could then conceivably be useful if your plug-in includes an alien species who live in conditions unsuitable for humans. Otherwise, if you want to keep the player from landing, a sufficently high legal status requirement should do it, or you could set the government’s ‘Require’ bits to a condition that will never be satisfied.

An inhabited but unlandable spob will also appear as uninhabited on the radar, and will give no response to hails. Furthermore, on the hyperspace map the spob will not be listed as a port in that system, nor will it be considered when tallying the commodities and services available in that system for display on the map, nor will the spob count as inhabited for purposes of coloring the system on the map, nor will it be possible to select the spob by pressing the Land key. Overall, in-game the spob flagged as inhabited but unlandable will be indistinguishable from one flagged as uninhabited and unlandable.

And now for something completely different.

There is a way to make a spob count toward the commodities, services, and inhabitedness of the system, able to be selected by the Land key, appear colored as inhabited on radar, and show up in the list of ports in the system, all while still giving the “Inhospitable” landing message and not letting the player land. Along with that, the planet cannot be selected by a number key (meaning only by the Land key) and never displays its graphic in the system. That last point can be adjusted by putting a regular unlandable spob in the same spot, to show its graphic. However, the real killer on this is that when you try to hail the planet, the game crashes with the following message:

Posted Image

For reference, this all happens when a spöb is put in a system that has a higher resource ID than another system that also contains that spöb, and both systems are visible.

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 02 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

I think StarSword's idea is how the two Wraith planets are set up, aren't they?

Just checked, and while Hot'A'Tanius is inhabited, it's also unlandable (since it's a gas giant with no mining platforms or whatever). I also distinctly remember seeing Hot'A'Tanius gray on the radar screen.

ATMOS probably worked it that way so the Wraith national borders would show up.

@starsword, on 03 August 2011 - 11:36 AM, said in SPOB Flag Question:

Just checked, and while Hot'A'Tanius is inhabited, it's also unlandable (since it's a gas giant with no mining platforms or whatever). I also distinctly remember seeing Hot'A'Tanius gray on the radar screen.

ATMOS probably worked it that way so the Wraith national borders would show up.

Good call. A system with no inhabited spob will not contribute to the Map Borders. A system with at least one inhabited spob, even if it is unlandable, will contribute to the map border using the color of the syst govt, regardless of the govt of any spobs there.