make item invisible to outfitters

weapon bought with ship but no where else

I am pretty sure this topic has come up before. It seems like the kind of thing that would. I built a ship with a weapon but I don't want that weapon to be available at outfitters. I know I can set a bit for Availability. There is also Governments (I could create one).

Are there any other options?

An outfit with an impossible Availability condition (such as O1, E1, or B10000) will, I believe, never be purchasable. If you flag it to show up only if Availability is met, then it will not appear. But just in case there’s some unexpected behavior with referencing out-of-bounds values for test expressions, most scenarios use b9999 as the “never available” bit.

There are also Require bits.

I don’t know what you mean by “There is also Governments”.

You could also use an Availability string of “~P0”, which means the item can only be bought if the game is unregistered. Since you’re putting this in a plug-in, and the game won’t load with plug-ins if it’s unregistered, that’ll work for your purposes.

In my testing, any non-empty and unparsable string returns false, so “!” or “This is a poorly-designed logic parser.” as the Availability will make the item never available. I would not count on this behavior remaining consistent in future versions, however.

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 09 February 2011 - 12:27 AM

@vast-deathmaster, on 08 February 2011 - 11:45 PM, said in make item invisible to outfitters:

I am pretty sure this topic has come up before. It seems like the kind of thing that would. I built a ship with a weapon but I don't want that weapon to be available at outfitters. I know I can set a bit for Availability. There is also Governments (I could create one).

Are there any other options?

You can also use the Require mask, or set it to a techlevel that you designate as "tech that isn't supposed to be bought" - for example, stock Nova uses techLevel 999 IIRC for stuff like the Vell-os abilities.

You can also set the Random factor to 0.

Note that if the player owns a copy of the outfit, then it will show up in every outfitter with the proper TechLevel. You can give it a TechLevel that no spöb has. But it will still be sellable on worlds that “buy everything”, unless you also give it the “Cannot be sold” flag.

I feel silly for not thinking of this earlier (as in years earlier) but you can make an item never buyable (or make just about anything else never possible) by using a logically-impossible-to-satisfy condition like “b1 & !b1”.

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 09 February 2011 - 11:49 PM

@qaanol, on 09 February 2011 - 11:48 PM, said in make item invisible to outfitters:

I feel silly for not thinking of this earlier (as in years earlier) but you can make an item never buyable (or make just about anything else never possible) by using a logically-impossible-to-satisfy condition like “b1 & !b1”.

That would do it. I could use that to make a number of ships and outfits unbuyable. Like the Kyrzakagalan ships for instance. (Of course, they kinda suck anyway.)