Nova Engine Question

Does the gravity generated in the game by the game engine affect things like missiles and shots?

Not that I've noticed, but it's very easy to test. Make a spöb with a very strong gravity well, make a very slow weapon, and fire it near the spöb. If it's pulled toward the spöb, then gravity affects weapons.

I'm 99% sure they aren't; that would take a ton more physics calculations than are done already.

@jacabyte, on Jan 3 2011, 01:35 AM, said in Nova Engine Question:

I'm 99% sure they aren't; that would take a ton more physics calculations than are done already.

It would?

Going by some back-of-envelope calculations, it would be very simple to model the effect of gravity on projectiles - the inverse square distance from the projectiles to the spöb in question, multiplied by a constant for the strength of the spöb's gravity and with some direction injected. With a bit of SSE vectorisation squirted in there for good measure, I make that 20 instructions for the gravity calculations.

Hardly a huge investment.

Oh. Eheh...

...All right. That's cool.

Did we ever get an answer to this question? It'd be useful knowledge.

@templar98921, on 19 January 2011 - 05:45 AM, said in Nova Engine Question:

Did we ever get an answer to this question? It'd be useful knowledge.

I believe Jacabyte said that it was 99% chance they weren't, but I'll eventually test this, since it would be interesting in Airborne, given wind currents and such.