Submunitions Experiment

confirmation needed

The team and I have been experimenting with weapon specs to make some interesting new styles of weapons for HOTSs. I'm not going to give out too many details just yet, but we do need confirmation on something we've noticed and want to make sure we're not seeing things wrong.

This is regarding the flag 'submunitions fire at nearest target'. When turned on, submunitions seem to fly off toward the supermunition's target, whatever the direction, kind of as if the supermunition had a turret mounted on it which fired the submunition. However, when the flag is turned off, it seems submunitions still go after the supermunition's target, except they fly off in the direction the supermunition was moving.

Example 1: a missile with the 'SFNT' flag moving at 2:00 dies and fires submunitions. The target is at 9:00. The submunitions start moving at 9:00 instead of inheriting the supermunition's 2:00 direction.

Example 2: a missile without the 'SFNT' flag moving at 2:00 dies and fires submunitions. Those submunitions start moving at 2:00 and then turn to face the target, regardless of the target's direction relative to the supermunition.

Can anyone confirm that this is true? It's what we've observed, but we want to cement our conclusions.

Also, as an aside, we found a way for AI to use broadside turrets. The downside is the broadsides need to be PD turrets and, as they're PD turrets, they will only fire at ships vulnerable to PD weapons. It's possible this has been discovered in the past, but we haven't seen any mention of it and figured we'd share.

This post has been edited by darthkev : 30 April 2010 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (darthkev @ Apr 30 2010, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The team and I have been experimenting with weapon specs to make some interesting new styles of weapons for HOTSs. I'm not going to give out too many details just yet, but we do need confirmation on something we've noticed and want to make sure we're not seeing things wrong.

This is regarding the flag 'submunitions fire at nearest target'. When turned on, submunitions seem to fly off toward the supermunition's target, whatever the direction, kind of as if the supermunition had a turret mounted on it which fired the submunition. However, when the flag is turned off, it seems submunitions still go after the supermunition's target, except they fly off in the direction the supermunition was moving.

Example 1: a missile with the 'SFNT' flag moving at 2:00 dies and fires submunitions. The target is at 9:00. The submunitions start moving at 9:00 instead of inheriting the supermunition's 2:00 direction.

Example 2: a missile without the 'SFNT' flag moving at 2:00 dies and fires submunitions. Those submunitions start moving at 2:00 and then turn to face the target, regardless of the target's direction relative to the supermunition.

Can anyone confirm that this is true? It's what we've observed, but we want to cement our conclusions.

Zacha Pedro already has. As usual, his explanation is much clearer than the EVN Bible's.

Ah, thanks StarSword.