Help with str#'s

help needed for hails and responses

Hi,

I've recently been working on making a Borg nova plug-in, as you may have read in my previous topic. Anyway I've having trouble with the str# resource. I've made the government and ships and all that but when I can't seem to create hail and response str#'s. I've read the EV Bible as well as what mission computer has to say on the subject but to no avail. I have the str#'s created but everytime I hail a ship and click on "greetings" it just says "no response dectected" or "no response on this channel", etc.

The goverment ID is 197 and so far I've tried str IDs: 8498, 7585, 7500, 11773-11782, and 11970-11979. All the messages I've used are just plain text (IE "we are the borg."). I have 10 message strings in 8498, 7585 and 7500 and 1 string in 11773-11782 and 11970-11979. I came with all of these IDs from the various things I read. I did find though that mission computer and EV Bible say different things, when it comes to what ID# to use so i really have no clue what to do and which is right.

I have also tried using the "use this STR#" in the dude resource but that had the same result.

I would GREATLY appreciate ANY help with this! I've only pulled out one clump of hair so far on this and I'm hoping I can resolve it before I create more odd looking bald patches 😉

Thanks again!

Geoff

From gövt ID 197, subtract 128 to get government index 69. Add that to the base number of 7000, and I believe the STR# resource you're looking for is ID 7069 (just as the Federation, gövt ID 128, uses STR# ID 7000).

thanks for the response David.

I tried what you said but it didn't work. I have gotten it work somewhat though. I set the str# to 7501 and set it in the dude resource. I had the "disable roadside assistance and beg for mercy" option selected so I tried turning it off. Once I did that then it seemed to work just fine.

Just for fun I tried duplicating the str#, change the tect a bit, set it to 7069, and turned on the "generic gov" in the dude with the "use set str#" option to see what happened. It seems that they both worked. Well having both options on worked anyway. But the goverment stuff wasn't what i had in the str# instead it was just stuff like "howdy" and "hi there", etc.

So I'm now at a loss to understand why the hails change to "no response" or "no response on this channel" stuff when the "disable roadside assistance and beg for mercy" is on and also why the generic government hails aren't what I have them set to be.

ANY help would be VERY greatly appreciated! And thanks again for the help 😄

Geoff

I assume the düde is indeed set to belong to gövt ID 197, and the government isn't set to 'never respond' or anything like that?

yes it is set to gov 197 and no the "never respond" is not selected.

It's weird too as I can hail them, but when I choose "greetings" it says "no response" or "no response on this channel", etc.

I'm using Mission Computer 4.0.7 to make the plug-in I believe if that's relivant.

And you don't have another plug-in installed which contains a STR# resource ID 7069?

no I am not running any other plug-ins at all, for the reason you just stated 😉

Thanks;

Geoff

Can you post screenshots of your gövt and düde resources?

sure no prob;

let me know if there is anything you need to see and I'll post some more screens. Also sorry it's so small, it's just easier for me to upload as I'm only on dial-up when I'm at home. If you need a larger pict I can re do it.

This post has been edited by Arringfray : 11 April 2010 - 09:33 AM

First of all, turn on 'generic government hails' in your düde resource. At the moment you're specifically telling it not to use your custom strings.

Then try turning off 'Disable the Request Asssistance/Beg for Mercy button when hailed' in your gövt resource. The Nova Bible says this option has the subsidiary effect of making the government 'not talkative', which might be your problem.

I turned on the "generic government hails" and turned off the "use this str#" but the ships don't say what I put into str# 7069. Instead they say "greetings" or "nice to meet you" or "howdy".

It does seem to work if I use the "use this str#" option so maybe I'll just go that route although it would be nicer to use the generic gov hails, but beggers can't be choosers 😄

I don't like having to keep the 'Disable the Request Asssistance/Beg for Mercy button" option off as I wanted to try and make them as borg'esk as possible. So is there any other way I can block this? Or maybe even make it so they will always refuse to help or show mercy? will making the players starting recorded in the negative do acheve this but also not make them attack because of the legal status?

This post has been edited by Arringfray : 11 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

Well, as long as you don't check 'Government's warships will accept bribes', begging for mercy will be useless, which seems reasonably Borgesque to me. Alternatively, you could simply check 'Never responds' so that they won't even bother to talk to you.

I'd go with the latter suggestion. The Borg don't answer your hails, they hail YOU.

ya I think I've decided to just go with the "wont respond" option. It seems to be the easiest and it does seem borgish.

I can also make some fleets that enter a system with a specific borg hail. that would be kinda neat.

Anyway thanks a LOT guys for all the help with this! Now if I can just get the scan mask thing resolved in my other topic I would be all set 😉

Geoff

One more suggestion: to add onto the idea of giving fleets a comm string to send the player when they enter the system, you can also make përs Cubes that will fly around on their own and can also hail the player. Plus, I think the string for flët resources appears when they're about to jump in, not when they hail the player. I don't think fleets hail the player at all.

QUOTE (darthkev @ Apr 12 2010, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One more suggestion: to add onto the idea of giving fleets a comm string to send the player when they enter the system, you can also make përs Cubes that will fly around on their own and can also hail the player. Plus, I think the string for flët resources appears when they're about to jump in, not when they hail the player. I don't think fleets hail the player at all.

I think that's right. I was taking a break and played Polycon for a little while yesterday, and as I was trundling along in a personnel transport a Meridian strike group arrived in a Polyconian system. The reinforcement fleet that responded happened to be the Paraxes Fleet. I didn't stick around for the fireworks display, but as I was running for hyperspace, I saw a hail on the bottom of the screen as the Polyconians arrived.