planets with beams = bad?

I remember seeing in the nova bible and in evnew that giving a planet/space station a beam weapon as its stellar defense weapon 'bad' (whether it be a glitch, a graphics problem, a crash, or your computer inexplicably exploding) things would happen. I know that in the updated version it just limits the range but what would happen if you took an out-of-date copy of nova and did something like this? I just want to know because I thought of it fairly recently and was just curious. And on to something completely different!

Anyone remember EVC? Anyone remember all weird mysterious stuff that happened? Well I was thinking of making a quasi TC explaining all that for the nova port version. The player is PI that whose current client is a secret organization, and he has to do a lot of missions (duh) and gather information on all kinds of strange things that happened in Escape velocity prior to this plug; like what happened to all those kestrels from the shipyard description, why does George's World have so many earthquakes, where did the aliens come from, stuff like that. I know the short answer to all those questions are, the pirates did, plate tectonics, why does it matter, but please use your imaginations, anyway if anyone has any ideas regarding either of these topics please post a reply

where did the aliens come from

Space?

No, I know I'm not being helpful. Good luck with the plug-in! FYI: TC = a whole lotta work. Starting with something simpler may be a good idea. What you're suggesting sounds doable, though.

QUOTE (n64mon @ Oct 14 2009, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Space?

No, I know I'm not being helpful. Good luck with the plug-in! FYI: TC = a whole lotta work. Starting with something simpler may be a good idea. What you're suggesting sounds doable, though.

I'm already working on a TC I know how much work it is and I have done a whole lot of smaller things (I just never uploaded them because they sucked :D), but if I ever got around to making that it would be a secondary thing for sure

You can test it for yourself, or you can take my word for it: spobs with beams = engine crashes. Spobs must have as a defense an unguided projectile with unlimited ammunition. Anything else makes Nova go wonky.

QUOTE (TheReclusiveOne @ Oct 13 2009, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember seeing in the nova bible and in evnew that giving a planet/space station a beam weapon as its stellar defense weapon 'bad' (whether it be a glitch, a graphics problem, a crash, or your computer inexplicably exploding) things would happen.

Planets with beams simply aren't supported. I assume Matt decided that it would be more trouble than it was worth to make the engine understand them properly.

QUOTE (TheReclusiveOne @ Oct 13 2009, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... what happened to all those kestrels from the shipyard description, why does George's World have so many earthquakes, where did the aliens come from, stuff like that.

The Kestrels actually show up now and then, as you have a small chance of running across that very derelict freighter and selling the parts contained onboard to some shady characters. George's World is a joke which turned out to be a bit more obscure than was probably intended: the George in question is George Lucas, an the earthquakes come from a THX sound system with the bass turned up way too high. 🙂 (The system's name, THX-1138, is taken from the title of Lucas's first film.)

As for the aliens, there were a few attempts to explain them in various ways, some of them rather interesting; unfortunately the ones which looked most interesting never got finished. The only thing on which people seem to agree is that their name should start with a V. I once had my own ideas for a plug-in, to be called Face of the Enemy , which would give the alien saga a rather startling conclusion/explanation, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I never noticed that kestrel mission before but I was thinking of ways of making it way more interesting