Rle8

How to make them

Ok, so I've pretty much read everything i could find, and i still can't find out how to make Rle8s with mission computer. Help would be appreciated.

Moving this over to the Developer's Corner, which is the best place for development-related questions...

There's not really a good reason to make rle8s anymore. WinNova never used them, and I think the latest version of MacNova might be reducing support as well. The rleDs are all you need.

This post has been edited by Lindley : 11 October 2009 - 07:31 AM

With MissionComputer, you can make rlë8s much the same way as you make rlëDs. Just open your graphics in the Make RLE utility (available from the Utilities menu), and check rlë8 instead of rlëD.

But as Lindley says, there's no good reason to use rlë8s at all, as they're just a lower quality version of the rlëD, and it isn't clear that anyone is still running EV Nova on a computer that will even look for rlë8s any more.

Ok, Even with RleDs The Results turn out incredebly blurry, and cause nova to crash, so, how do you make RleDs, That actually work?

rleDs work fine. Must be a problem with your input images.

QUOTE (Xanderoth @ Oct 12 2009, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, Even with RleDs The Results turn out incredebly blurry, and cause nova to crash, so, how do you make RleDs, That actually work?

How are you creating the images you use to make the rlëDs?

Two of the most common errors are making the mask grayscale rather than pure black and white, and using images set to a resolution other than 72 dpi. Could either of these be your problem? The results of the latter do often involve blurriness, though I'm not sure how any rlëD, flawed or otherwise, could cause the game to crash.

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Oct 12 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two of the most common errors are making the mask grayscale rather than pure black and white

And by that he means 1 bit per pixel. Even if it looks black & white, you could have strange artifacts in the game if you don't ensure this. In Photoshop, change the Mode to "Bitmap".

This post has been edited by Lindley : 12 October 2009 - 04:47 PM

So, Do both images have to be one bit, and What programs can convert a thing to one bit?

Actually, only the mask needs to be one-bit (black and white.) The image itself needs to be 8-bit, and in a non-lossy format like PNG or PICT. You can adjust the color depth in any image manipulation program, such as The GIMP, PhotoShop, or PaintShop.

I would also give you the same advice as Lindley gave you: don't bother. rle8s are ignored entirely by WinNova, and the odds of someone running a 256 color monitor these days are not high. If they have the hardware to run Nova at all, they probably have a monitor capable of running the appropriate color depth. They are not required for Nova to run or to produce sprites at all. You will not get any error messages from not having one. They take up resource and file space needlessly. If you have someone who really needs the rle8 sprites, let them e-mail you and request it that way.