When crazy people play with weapons of mass destruction

To get a beam like on my pic I thought about a simple possible solution. But I haven't tried it out though.

Create an invisible beam and make it trigger the weapon animation of a particular ship which contains the beam (more exactly the beams color).
Should work I guess.

That would be a really cool trick except the visible beam wouldn't stop when it hits something.

@guy, on Sep 10 2008, 11:34 AM, said in When crazy people play with weapons of mass destruction:

That would be a really cool trick except the visible beam wouldn't stop when it hits something.

Haven't thought about that problem... you're right 😞

Hm, what if the beam we are talking about is the ultimate one-hit-destruction-beam?
In that case it would be ok since the beam would instantly pierce a ships shields/armor and destroy it.

True, though the hulk still remains for the full death delay and will prevent the real beam from getting past. But you wouldn't want an ultimate one-hit-destruction-beam anyway 😛

what if you make two gun exit points at the front of the ship, just a few pixels apart from each other, and have two beams which fire simultaneously (one from each gun exit point) and blend centers to provide the proper width?

Hey, beams didn't stop when they hit things in older engines. And just think of it as one of these punch-straight-through-your-ship weapons that leaves a smoldering hull breach in its path.

topic title said in When crazy people play with weapons of mass destruction:

...weapons of mass destruction

@mrxak, on Sep 15 2008, 09:08 AM, said:

...punch-straight-through-your-ship weapons that leaves a smoldering hull breach in its path.

He has a good point there

Edit: This may not be a big deal to anyone, but it seems that I haven't been on here long enough for me to have one quarter of a thousand posts. Maybe I should start doing homework at home or something.

This post has been edited by kingofvwcosmos : 15 September 2008 - 11:31 PM