Need help with planet graphics because I don't have PS!

To add a ring that you have created separately:
This should be relatively easy if you know GIMP well enough (which I don't, so this is approximate, but I have seen the features) - put the ring in the backmost layer, the planet in the next, then copy the back layer into the front and apply alpha to the frontmost layer on one half, so the ring appears to go behind the planet on one side, then save as a single, nonlayered image.

@nonconventionally-creative, on Jun 17 2008, 06:15 PM, said in Need help with planet graphics because I don't have PS!:

To add a ring that you have created separately:
This should be relatively easy if you know GIMP well enough (which I don't, so this is approximate, but I have seen the features) - put the ring in the backmost layer, the planet in the next, then copy the back layer into the front and apply alpha to the frontmost layer on one half, so the ring appears to go behind the planet on one side, then save as a single, nonlayered image.

Yeah I did that:
Attached File FaustusWithRing.jpg (70.43K)
Number of downloads: 11
Now I just gotta figure out shadows and lighting... 😉

Do you have any idea how much material would be required to build that ring? Just saying.
Try rendering the ring first from the same angle of light.
As far as a shadow of the ring on the planet, It would probably be best to avoid the issue entirely by playing with the angles.

@nonconventionally-creative, on Jun 17 2008, 08:45 PM, said in Need help with planet graphics because I don't have PS!:

Do you have any idea how much material would be required to build that ring? Just saying.
Try rendering the ring first from the same angle of light.
As far as a shadow of the ring on the planet, It would probably be best to avoid the issue entirely by playing with the angles.

As you said, 1. the ring is much too large to even be plausible and 2. I'll just situtate it so that it doens't really cast any shadows... 😉

I'll post back here with the end results. (smaller ring and fixed lighting 🙂 )

@eirikr, on Jun 18 2008, 06:56 AM, said in Need help with planet graphics because I don't have PS!:

As you said, 1. the ring is much too large to even be plausible and 2. I'll just situtate it so that it doens't really cast any shadows... 😉

I'll post back here with the end results. (smaller ring and fixed lighting 🙂 )

You could also use the 'burn' (or GIMP equivilent) to darken the ring.

Ick... GIMP doesn't really handle burn well, I'm afraid.

Ok here is what I have come up with so far. What do you think?

Attached File AppiusCyriacusWthRing_copy.png (70.16K)
Number of downloads: 23

Wow... You've outdone yourself, I'd say. Thumbs up! 🙂

Thanks!!! It took time but I think it looks relatively good.
Ok now for the hard part.

For the plug-in I'm creating, the rings around planets are very essential. I basically building on the mystery of the ring on Kontik. So my plan is to make the rings a device to transport ships (maybe even fleets) from one system to another. Basically just use the worm hole idea but change the graphics. If you look closely at the picture, the ring isn't touching the supports connected to the planet. This is because it is held in place by electro magnetism. Similar to the electromagnetic trains in Japan. Therefore the ring is free to spin. I think it would look cool, if when you use the ring (basically a wormhole) to get to the connecting system, it begins to spin and light up.

I can do the animation in Blender, but just for the ring. The planet graphic is 2D and added after render.
So I have 2 options.

1. Figure out how to use a 2D picture in Blender or
2. Render all 32 frames of the animation and then edit every frame inserting the planet Graphic.

I would really like it if there was a way to do option 1 because I want to create about 3-5 of these planets with rings. Therefore I would have to manually edit about 96 - 160 frames.... :blink: That would be a lot!!!

Anyway, tell me what you think!!
Any Ideas?
Tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Can you just create a sphere and texture the sphere?

That might not work.

I'm thinking if you rendered it with a max emittance white sphere standing in for the planet on a white background, you could render the animation, figure out what size it needs to be to fit the planet, tile the animation, tile the planet, select and cut the white part away on the animation tiling, and then past it over the planet one, it just might work. Though I'd imagine getting the planet to line up with the white spot where it's supposed to be might be a pain.

@keldor-sarn, on Jun 18 2008, 11:25 PM, said in Need help with planet graphics because I don't have PS!:

I'm thinking if you rendered it with a max emittance white sphere standing in for the planet on a white background, you could render the animation, figure out what size it needs to be to fit the planet, tile the animation, tile the planet, select and cut the white part away on the animation tiling, and then past it over the planet one, it just might work. Though I'd imagine getting the planet to line up with the white spot where it's supposed to be might be a pain.

So I tried rendering the animation and then editing every frame of the sequence but then the planet wasn't in the exact same position every frame so it moved around when I made the rlëD out of it. 😞 Oh well. I think I might get the planet to be just the right size to go in the ring and then make it into it's own rlëD, then make the ring a separate rlëD. Then I just put them in the same place in the system..... :huh: who knows, it might work. haha 🆒

That will work, if you make the planet RleD an un-selectable planet by making it nav default 16 or something like that, and center the rings exactly at 0,0. I don't know, it's harder to put down what I'm thinking into words than to actually show you what I'm thinking. I can't do that, unfortunately. <_<

I could send you the graphics or the resources and you could mess around with them if you want... :huh:

Well, no. I think I should let you do all this by yourself. But I think this might work: In GIMP, take the planet with it's ring and import them into the same file. Instead of moving the planet, move the ring so it aligns with the planet however you want it. Voila, the ring is now centered where you want it to be for the RleD. Remember the amount that you moved the ring by. Now move (or offset) the other frames in the ring animation sequence by the same amount. They shouldn't jiggle or wobble any more.

@eirikr, on Jun 18 2008, 01:01 PM, said in Need help with planet graphics because I don't have PS!:

Ok here is what I have come up with so far. What do you think?

Very cool. You're getting good at these planet graphics. 😉

@king_of_manticores, on Jun 19 2008, 02:27 PM, said in Need help with planet graphics because I don't have PS!:

Very cool. You're getting good at these planet graphics. 😉

Hey thanks! I think the ring is a little too dark, so I'm going to lighten that up a little. Anything else I should do while I'm at it?

I've got a few "ok" graphics done but nothing I'm impressed with.

Those are some of the best planets I've seen! You should be impressed with them.

Here's an idea for the ring teleporter rings, why don't you make it that the aliens are from another galexy, and 'plugged' the rings by shoving planets through them (Kontik, Kel'ar'ey). This would explain the black ring in one of the polaris systems (can't recall the planet's name or system.). Kontik however malfunctioned and at random times a burst would shoot out and grab the ships in the system and teleport them into the other galexy.

Thanks for the ideas however I think I have my idea pretty much all figured out. I just need to figure out how to animate the planet to do this.