Need help with plug-in I'm making for a friend...

Getting a mission from a ship...

I am trying to make it so I get a mission from a ship (per) which I have created in a specific system. I got the ship to appear with the right name and it sends a message to the player like I wanted but when I hail the ship I don't get the mission.

I am using Mission Computer.

I inserted the mission ID (128) into section that says to give this mission when hailed and I have the mission rarity set to 100% of the time. I also selected in the mission that it would be found by hailing a ship BUT it won't show. The mission has no expressions (Example: !b19). I have found that I can't change the beginning location to 'ship' on the second page (as there are only options for planets)...

Any thoughts? What could be wrong?

@1purevengeance1, on Apr 30 2008, 04:38 PM, said in Need help with plug-in I'm making for a friend...:

I have found that I can't change the beginning location to 'ship' on the second page (as there are only options for planets)...

The 'Offered at' field that MissionComputer 3.x places in the 'Route, Results, and Ships' panel is ignored if you've set it to be offered when hailing a ship, so that isn't the problem. (Perhaps I should alter MissionComputer's interface to give a clearer indication of this than the basic format does.)

Does the mission by any chance have anything like 'Offered only if player has sufficient cargo space' or 'Unavailable if the player's ship is a freighter' checked? Does it have a minimum legal record or combat rating?

I should also note that setting your mission ID to 128 means that it will replace the first mission in the game's default scenario - is that what you intended? If not, you should open the EV Nova data files, note the highest mission ID they use, and then give yours one higher than that.

@david-arthur, on Apr 30 2008, 05:36 PM, said in Need help with plug-in I'm making for a friend...:

The 'Offered at' field that MissionComputer 3.x places in the 'Route, Results, and Ships' panel is ignored if you've set it to be offered when hailing a ship, so that isn't the problem. (Perhaps I should alter MissionComputer's interface to give a clearer indication of this than the basic format does.)

Does the mission by any chance have anything like 'Offered only if player has sufficient cargo space' or 'Unavailable if the player's ship is a freighter' checked? Does it have a minimum legal record or combat rating?

I should also note that setting your mission ID to 128 means that it will replace the first mission in the game's default scenario - is that what you intended? If not, you should open the EV Nova data files, note the highest mission ID they use, and then give yours one higher than that.

Okay, so it isn't the first possibility. The mission does not have 'Offered only if player has sufficient cargo space' or 'Unavailable if the player's ship is freighter or warship' checked. The minimum legal record is set to 0 and I assume you start with a legal rating of 0 when you start a new pilot. (gov 128). Combat rating of 0 is required.

Yes, I meant to replace the first Nova mission. My friends are writing scenarios they want me to make a TC out of. It will only be as big as the missions and planets they decide should be there and I am putting it together. This is basically just a private plug that probably won't be very large and will have some poor 'first time' sci-fi writings in it, so it's just for the fun of making it for um 🙂 .

PS: I double checked what you said and none of your scenarios were the problem.

@1purevengeance1, on Apr 30 2008, 05:50 PM, said in Need help with plug-in I'm making for a friend...:

...I assume you start with a legal rating of 0 when you start a new pilot. (gov 128).

Yes, unless chär resource 128 says otherwise. If you aren't being shot at, then this probably isn't the issue.

In your përs resource, are any of the 'Don't offer mission if player's ship has an InherentAI value of:' boxes checked by any chance?

maybe you should post the plug so we could see and figure out whats wrong with it.

Have you created a new pilot? New pers resources won't show up in existing pilots because they are labeled "dead" in the pilot file.

@jacabyte, on Apr 30 2008, 07:30 PM, said in Need help with plug-in I'm making for a friend...:

Have you created a new pilot? New pers resources won't show up in existing pilots because they are labeled "dead" in the pilot file.

While this is a common problem, I don't think it's at issue in this case, since the original poster says the ship shows up properly. It's just the mission that doesn't appear, and I don't think the pilot file should have any impact on that.

@david-arthur, on Apr 30 2008, 06:27 PM, said in Need help with plug-in I'm making for a friend...:

Yes, unless chär resource 128 says otherwise. If you aren't being shot at, then this probably isn't the issue.

In your përs resource, are any of the 'Don't offer mission if player's ship has an InherentAI value of:' boxes checked by any chance?

None of those triggers (or whatever they are called) have been clicked.

PS: how would I go about showing you the file? The attachment system?

This post has been edited by 1purevengeance1 : 30 April 2008 - 07:31 PM

@1purevengeance1, on May 1 2008, 02:22 AM, said in Need help with plug-in I'm making for a friend...:

PS: how would I go about showing you the file? The attachment system?

Yes, or if it is too large you can host it somewhere.

The part that isn't graphics is only 44k... But when I browse and then select it to upload it says that "you haven't selected anything to upload"... I am not having much luck here :laugh:

You have to compress it before it can upload. Or something like that.

Ah'k thanks! I'l try again to upload it in a sec.

This post has been edited by 1purevengeance1 : 07 May 2008 - 08:33 PM

Here is the mission and stuff you'll need to see without seeing my plug...

Attached File What_s_wrong_here_.zip (17.12K)
Number of downloads: 5

Anyone know what's wrong?

So, has anyone been able to figure out what's wrong? I kinda wana do something now that it's the weekend... (not trying to nag)

I'm working on it, and I set it to offer at spob 128. Nothing. Put in descs. Added another mission. Yes! Mission offered!
Set it back to the pers. HOORAY!
Removed the extra mission: Yay!
Removed desc 4500: Still working. The only change is that I added desc 4000. That's your problem, then. Add a desc with ID 4000 and it's offered.

What extra mission are you talking about? Do you mean the Missions labeled "Test" which I used simply to test my skills with mission bits or what? And I need to use desc 4000? hmmm... I'll try that though that is random.

Thanks for your time.

The dësc used to offer the mission must have an ID of (4000 + mďsn ID - 128), which means that for mďsn 128 you need dësc 4000. If you don't have a dësc 4000 in your full plug-in (there certainly isn't one in your sample), then there's no description with which the përs can offer the mission, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the engine's response was indeed not to offer the mission.

I had the desc 4000 in my other part of the plug in (my graphics half) for some reason. I'm switching it back over to the other plug to see what happens. I doubt anything will change though.

EDIT: Okay, I tested it and there is no difference. As I haven't removed the Nova files and am just placing my plug in the plugins folder would it even matter if I had desc 4000 or not? Wouldn't it take the desc 4000 from Nova files?

PS: I have done missions before with no desc without Nova desc to refer to and it offered the mission as a blank text box and the standard yes and no answers at the bottom so I don't see there being a difference here...

This post has been edited by 1purevengeance1 : 11 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

All right, if there’s a dësc 4000 elsewhere in the installed data, then that can’t be the problem. Certainly it doesn’t matter which particular file it’s in.

I'll send the working version over, then.

I just checked and it worked, so let's hope for the best, then.

EDIT: I forgot to press 'Upload'. Oops.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Timmytiptoe : 12 May 2008 - 01:28 AM