Homemade Sound Effects!

Take 'em or make 'em

This topic is for sound effects that you've made at home. I will start off by posting some I've already posted in another thread.

To start, some beam weapon effects. If you wish to use any of these in a plugin, ask me. All contributions are welcome. Share your sound effects!

EDIT: ATTACHMENTS REMOVED BY GEEK

This post has been edited by Geek : 24 September 2007 - 04:53 PM

More beam weapon effects:

Now, some gun effects. These sounds could work for railgun/chaingun weapons.

One more that didn't fit in the previous post:

EDIT: And some more I just made...

Two more gun sounds, and an energy blaster sound:

All for now. Comments? Additions? Requests to use my sounds? Post them all.

EDIT: I see my files are being downloaded. Please post comments.

This post has been edited by Geek : 24 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

Hey everyone, I just figured out an easy method for anyone who has a PPC Mac to extract all sounds from any EV sound file. Interested?

This post has been edited by Geek : 18 September 2007 - 04:57 PM

@geek, on Sep 18 2007, 05:49 PM, said in Homemade Sound Effects!:

Hey everyone, I just figured out an easy method for anyone who has a PPC Mac to extract all sounds from any EV sound file. Interested?

Um... YES! awaits eagerly

So easy...

Get Sound App PPC. (Google it) It will launch in Mac OS 9, or you can run it in the Classic Environment in OSX.

Start a new playlist. (Command-N)

Use the Add Command (Command-D)

Find and open your EV sound file. (it will open. SoundApp sees it like a package of sounds)

Hit "Convert All", and SoundApp will save the sounds according to preset preferences.

You're done. All your sounds are in your new SoundApp Converted ƒ Folder.

I am neither a sound engineer nor a musician, so take my words with a large grain of salt.

Many of your sounds, between Beam 1 and Gun 3, are on the quiet side. You seemed to realize this when you made the latter sounds though.

Gun 2, to me, shows some promise. I can imagine it as an energy weapon; it has a low pitch that seems to aim to be, but just barely misses being, sinister. I wonder what it might sound like if you raise the volume and lower the pitch slightly.

Beam 8 has a similar effect, for me.

There is one mistake you keep making for the "Gun" series of sounds... Weapons like the Storm and Hail Chaingun are the uncommon. In most cases, Nova creates one shot at a time, yet your "Gun" sounds are tailored to multiple shot weapons. While Nova can create many shots in a single frame, Nova can only show 128 shots on screen at a single time, so the use of this feature is uncommon (A maximum limit of 128 shots sound high, but when you have epic battles with multiple carrier-based fighter squadrons throwing their weight around, those 128 shots disappear fast. That's without automatic weapons.). Basically, single shot weapons are more likely to turn up.

I provided those samples with multiple shots, so you could hear rapid-fire. I can provide them as single shots on request. Understood about the quiet, it's how the recordings came out. I can amplify them.

For you, Eugene. Edited versions of Beam 8 and Gun 2. Amplifications and shortenings of other recordings to come later.

How about some missile sounds?

Oh... Oh, those are nice.

@eugene-chin, on Sep 19 2007, 01:55 PM, said in Homemade Sound Effects!:

Oh... Oh, those are nice.

Glad you like it.

You all know the familiar sound of a Heavy Rocket from EVC... what would it sound like if it passed you or was about to hit you? Find out now.

This post has been edited by Geek : 24 September 2007 - 04:55 PM

Now that my EVNEW problem is sorted out (hope that never happens again AND I'm keeping a backup file) I'd like to hire you, Geek, to do my sounds! The pay is... umm.... just like the Marine Platoon desc. Read it 😄

I'll consider it. I'm busy making sounds for the EV tribute animation, but I think I can fill two orders...

Wow. The rocket flyby sounds great. Keep up the good work!

The missile sounds were nice, haven't heard the rockets, everything else seemed rather meh, no offense. The guns all sounded like a bunch of repeated clicks. Though the blaster sound might be workable into something else with some amplification, pitch and tempo changes, and maybe a few other things. I might mess with it in Audacity and see what I can get.

All opinions are welcome, especially from the ASW legends. 🙂 I think I'm doing okay as a beginner. Go right ahead and play with my sounds in Audacity, as I am doing. Feel free to post what you end up with...

EDIT: Just to clarify, these sounds posted are samples, and are by no means necessarily my final product. I accept all suggestion and criticism, and will improve my sounds. As I stated before, the reason my gun sounds are repeating is to show what it could sound like repeating. If any of those sounds are requested for a plugin, or if a lot of people ask, I will provide single-shot versions of those sounds, with any other corrections necessary.

This post has been edited by Geek : 19 September 2007 - 04:25 PM

I will soon be posting edited versions of my previous beam and gun sounds. Work on blaster sounds has been slow, as I find those hard to make.

Liked my rocket sounds? How about the EVC Missile?

This post has been edited by Geek : 24 September 2007 - 04:55 PM