Question about VisBits

@otter, on Sep 13 2007, 03:51 PM, said in Question about VisBits:

6. I'm grumpy, Guy is unquestionable, and the universe is incomprehensible.

Hm, sorry. All I know is ARPIA has a system where the main spob switches between multiple different versions from day to day with no problems. The player never needs to be forcibly moved from one instance of the system to another. I'm sure the outcome you're wanting is supposed to work one way or another. Nova can detect the two different versions of the spob and makes the switch automatically. Are your nav defs identically ordered in each copy of the system? If you post the plug I'll take a look at it.

@cosmic_nusiance, on Sep 13 2007, 05:58 PM, said in Question about VisBits:

Try q25000 & b4 & n129. It's the &s that made the deference for me.

Didn't we go over this once before? No wait, that was Archon. In any case, read the ncb section in the bible carefully 😉

If Arpia did it, then you should be asking Pace, Otter.

He's asking everybody. Just because someone did it successfully doesn't mean he's the ONLY one who can.

Well, when someone did it successfully that means they already know the problem therefore asking them is more likely to yield results. I find that if you have an example to copy, it makes life easier. Especially homework 😉

I'm just saying, I don't think he should SPECIFICALLY ask any single person.

@otter, on Sep 13 2007, 02:30 PM, said in Question about VisBits:

Well, I've pulled out the N129. As I rather expected, everything works fine - except that the player is left stuck in a system that doesn't even contain their destination.
I'm gonna put it back in now.

I had a look at this in your plug and tried removing the N129 myself. I found that while you do stay in the same system initially, if you land and take off again you end up in the new system. What if you were to set b4 at the end of the previous mission?

@guy, on Sep 14 2007, 05:56 AM, said in Question about VisBits:

I had a look at this in your plug and tried removing the N129 myself. I found that while you do stay in the same system initially, if you land and take off again you end up in the new system. What if you were to set b4 at the end of the previous mission?

worth a shot. I'll see how it goes.

That's got it. I don't know how or why, but apparently changing the VisBits around at the end of a mission is fine, while switching them in the middle makes things go all pear-shaped.
There are a few other things dependant on bit 4 that I'll have to remap to a new NCB, but this has pretty much got it.
Thanks for finally squashing that bug.
Your line in the credits now reads
Thanks to Guy, holder of the ceremonial golden flyswatter.

This post has been edited by Otter : 14 September 2007 - 05:27 AM

Ha ha, cheers 🙂