Fuel filter render

decreases jump time

Here's my first take on a fuel filter, which makes hyperjumping less expensive in terms of days used...

I still need to work in the details like some text, textures and maybe some more parts on it (like plastic tubes from the front and end.
Posted Image

Improved version:
Posted Image

Nice work. First glance told me it had something to do with the engines; you could make it a little more broad, maybe filtering the fuel gives you an extra jumps worth?

:blink: ... uhhh... Wow. Incredible!

I updated the second render... Added a bit of ambient occlusion to bring out those edges and shadows... Looks good, if I may say so myself 😉

Very nice.

Just two small questions:

Where is the green light coming from?
Under it?

What is it reflecting at the moment?

This post has been edited by Modesty Blaise : 16 August 2007 - 10:42 AM

@modesty-blaise, on Aug 16 2007, 08:39 AM, said in Fuel filter render:

Where is the green light coming from?
Under it?

From the looks of things, it appears to be coming from that ring on the end.

Looks, good, Reinier. Can't wait to see what else you got! 🆒

The light is located under the main tube in the middle, i added it for some extra ambiance and shadows...

I'm not sure what you mean by your second question, since a light can't reflect things I feel you mean something else 🙂

I'm not quite sure what a fuel filter would do to make hyperspace travel faster. It seems that it would give you extra jumps though. Cool picture btw.

Maybe it filters impurities allowing your engines to work more efficiently. You can get around almost everything if you're clever. 🙂

There is a relatively limited space to be clever. Besides, its unnecessary in this case. He has a fuel filter, it looks like a fuel filter, so why not do the obvious thing in this case? Add extra jumps. A better graphic to display faster travel could be a different outfit.

All you logical nay-sayers. Won't say the sky is blue without ten different pieces of proof, and pieces of information to confirm the proof's reliability. It's a fuel filter. It makes you jump faster. I might put in an extra jump and maybe about a 10 point addition to top speed.

Well said zapp. Maybe next time he can make a logical nay-sayer filter. 😉

@reinierk, on Aug 16 2007, 06:36 PM, said in Fuel filter render:

he light is located under the main tube in the middle, i added it for some extra ambiance and shadows...

Then I don't get how light from it can get to the top of the fuel filter.
Right now it seems like it's light is passing right through any geometry and hitting every surface it can hit. Like if the light does not cast shadows.

@reinierk, on Aug 16 2007, 06:36 PM, said in Fuel filter render:

I'm not sure what you mean by your second question, since a light can't reflect things I feel you mean something else 🙂

I meant:
What does the yellow part reflect?

This post has been edited by Modesty Blaise : 17 August 2007 - 02:45 AM

@zapp, on Aug 16 2007, 09:22 PM, said in Fuel filter render:

All you logical nay-sayers. Won't say the sky is blue without ten different pieces of proof, and pieces of information to confirm the proof's reliability. It's a fuel filter. It makes you jump faster. I might put in an extra jump and maybe about a 10 point addition to top speed.

So, absurdity is now a counter argument? I'm not saying he "can't," do it, he could, and if he wants, he will. But it would be nice if it made a bit more sense. If I see the sky is blue, the sky is blue, I don't need anymore proof than that. Do you know of any logical naysayer that need 5 pieces of proof of the sky being blue and an additional information to confirm this? No answer necessary unless the point isn't taken. :laugh: 😛 😉

I have. A number of editors on Wikipedia are like that.

Wikipedia needs it. Aren't schools banning it?

I love Wikipedia. Stupid schools. Wikipedia has NEVER lied to me.

@zapp, on Aug 16 2007, 10:22 PM, said in Fuel filter render:

**Speaking from the perspective of a nay-sayer, I'm looking at these graphics in terms of how quickly and readily they display what they are and what they do. Saying something is a fuel filter could suggest any number of things. On the other end, he could just as easily write some sci-fi babble like "hyper-space tunnel flux capacitator" and at least they'd know it has something to do with hyperspace.

It's like anything else. When you are selling something you want buyers to know what it is as quickly and simply as possible.

_bomb

@reinierk, on Aug 16 2007, 07:30 AM, said in Fuel filter render:

Improved version:
Posted Image

**Very nice model. I'd like to see a bit more disparity between textures on the different pieces.

And I think the tubes bother me a bit because they look (at least to me) like they are thin plastic. Since whatever is going through them probably involves explosive fuel, it might be better to have stronger insultation or tubing going into and out of the device. It'd be a shame to be halfway to your destination and have the fuel burn right through the tubes and into the engine. 🙂

_bomb