Half Arsed TC

(Redactified)

What?

Sounds awesome. 🙂

It does sound like a project where you have a very clear idea of what you want to create, which is important. I do have to ask though why you need 'Programmers for basic syst and spob creation'. Trust me, there's no programming involved in any of that! Any layperson can learn to edit any and every resource used by Nova without being able to program at the start or having learned by the end. 😉

Graphics are un-important!?

Finally. 😄

I do like the idea of a giant flying rectangle that shoots oddly shaped circles of doom......

@pac, on Jan 1 2007, 07:59 AM, said in Half Arsed TC:

It does sound like a project where you have a very clear idea of what you want to create, which is important. I do have to ask though why you need 'Programmers for basic syst and spob creation'. Trust me, there's no programming involved in any of that! Any layperson can learn to edit any and every resource used by Nova without being able to program at the start or having learned by the end. 😉

Ah, yes. I use "programmers" as a lose term to describe implementing special settings on the various resources in a plug-in or TC. I can't do that kind of thing myself, as the system is very complex (Scan masks, mission bits and other operations, such as ensuring that a mission is available only once).

I appreciate all the support, and I look forward to starting production on this very soon.

Stay tuned for more updates, and I'm still looking to fill the spots I mentioned in my first post.

I'll play this. The writing was what always hooked me to the game 😉

@nfreader, on Jan 2 2007, 04:12 AM, said in Half Arsed TC:

Ah, yes. I use "programmers" as a lose term to describe implementing special settings on the various resources in a plug-in or TC. I can't do that kind of thing myself, as the system is very complex (Scan masks, mission bits and other operations, such as ensuring that a mission is available only once).

The system is simple really - trust me, if I can master it, it must be simple. 🙂 It may seem intimidating at first, but honestly, with the tools you have available today, anyone willing to invest the time (which you will need to invest anyway to achieve your goal) can figure it out.

(nostalgia)Of course, when I started out, we didn't even have resource templates for ResEdit or a bible! So we had to edit raw hex data manually, in an effort to figure out what effect doing so had!(/nostalgia)

I really think that you'll have to master the important resources yourself, as this is the core of the work of a scenario. Even if you can find someone to do it for you (which I think will be quite difficult), if you are not aware of all the limitations of the engine, you will end up finding yourself - unknowingly - asking your resource-editor-person to do the impossible.

Good luck - and don't let Nova Control Bits scare you!

By the same token, if you don't know the limits of the engine, you may throw away ideas that Nova IS capable of, and settle on something much more simplistic.

Yeah, what Pac said. Except I've never moved beyond the "seem intimidating" part. Every fiber of my being tells me it's simple, and need only a couple of hours to work it out. I've been at that stage for over a year, possibly two. So, good luck.

I just started messing with the laser cannon.

Problem after problem -- and the one that took the cake...

...whenever I fire it, it turns the entire idiot game on 2x, for the duration of the shot. 😕

I've tried to like Nova's engine, but it isn't helping me at all.

- Bob

Consul Bob, I think corrupt snd resources can cause that on certain occasions.

UE Admiral, it helps to start out small (maybe modifying another simple plug to do something else or adding an outfit) and then it will all just fall into place and make sense. I started plugging when I found out that some plugin wasn't compatible with another one, so I tried to make them work together by changing RIDs around. Pretty soon, I figured out about the relationships between many of the game's resources, and I started making my own stuff. The plugin with my own stuff (mostly ships) was never finished, but I learned a lot about Nova from it, and who knows, maybe the stuff I had planned for it will make it into one of my other plugs someday. 😉

You're missing the x2 Warp Up sound (ID 129).

Interesting.

AbsoluteMinimum's like that, I imagine. I'll add in a warp sound sometime soon.

- Bob

Just so you know, nfreader, this was the mindset I had when I started Noir...

@nfreader, on Dec 29 2006, 09:15 AM, said in Half Arsed TC:

Writing Standards
HATC's strength will be in it's writing. Long, developed story-lines, clever descriptions, witty remarks, intelligent quips on the current political climate and breaking of the 4th wall will all be featured in HATC.

Contains slight chuckle

Anyway, it's an intriguing concept. I especially like the idea of political quips, doubly so considering how simple the in-game political structure is. Perhaps I'm interested in helping.

We already have 2 programmers. I'm basically waiting on the writers/artists now before I can do anything.

I guess I could make some ships that consist of solid-colored triangles and squares.

This post has been edited by LNSU : 31 January 2007 - 08:14 PM

OOH! can I be a writer? I'm trying to get a position as one somewhere, let me show you guys a story I just wrote for a Star Wars TC. The Rebel Upbrising one a few box-things away. This is pretty much the Star Wars guy's property now, since I said he could use it, so please don't just fix this one up. I'll do some new ones. Oh, and the Aurorans are not non-human, they're Japanese

"As you sit at the bar, sipping your Corellian Whiskey, you feel a furry tap on your shoulder, (let's assume you KNOW Shyriiwook) and, turning around, you are face-to-face with a 600-pound Wookie. He looks at you, as if he is checking your identity, and then he gestures for you to follow and stalks off. You finish your drink and head to the booth that he is not occupying. In his curious language of moans, growls, and barks, he informs you that his name is Lunlocca, and he has a job requiring your... special talents. There is some Glitterstim spice on <travel stellar> that needs to be taken to <return stellar>. This job is paying very well, a lordly 100,000 credits! (or equivalent)"

This would probably be the beginning of a pirate storyline, found in the bar of a certain world.
You can use it if you want, or if you have a situation, I can probably do better.

That's also just a generic, with no background information.

You'll have to ask nfreader. Ask him on aim, its nfreader

Right now me and bob have nothing much to work on until we have a story. As for pirate missions, we were just planning a few bounty missions, and only 2 storylines, but you'll have to discuss with nfreader on that.

Screw that

This post has been edited by Anaxagoras : 08 February 2007 - 04:14 PM

@lnsu, on Feb 8 2007, 10:08 AM, said in Half Arsed TC:

You'll have to ask nfreader. Ask him on aim, its nfreader

Right now me and bob have nothing much to work on until we have a story. As for pirate missions, we were just planning a few bounty missions, and only 2 storylines, but you'll have to discuss with nfreader on that.

um.. I don't have aim.