Multiple unfolding sprites

One for hyperspace and one for firing.

Hey everyone. I was wondering if it was possible to make a ship that unfolds for hyperspace and also unfolds for firing weapons but it would be a different type of unfolding for each. Let me explain.

The ship would have engine pods that close when entering hyperspace (I know, they should open but I want it like this) and open when exiting hyperspace. So when just flying around, the engine pods are out. That's easy enough but it also has weapon pods that I want to expand when firing. Can I have a ship that behaves like this? If it is possible, how would I go about doing that? How would I set up the sprite, RLE, and shan resource? Thanks everyone!

Oh and I guess having the ship able to bank is out of the question right? Haha

I do realise this would be a HUGE sprite file.

Nope, sorry. I think you might be able to use the same animation for both hyperspace and weapon unfolding but you can't have two different animations.

Alright. I figured as much. I guess I'll just have the weapon pods unfold when it exits hyperspace. Thanks man.

You might be able to use the weapon glow sprite to display your weapon pods, but you'll have to deal with additive color. That can be hard on the brain.

Yeah I guess I'm going to just have to deal with it. I am setting up the render to have six extra frames of animating the engine and weapon pods. It should still look cool. A bummer I can't do banking though. Thanks for the help guys.

By any chance are you modeling a Puddlejumper from Stargate Atlantis? It also has engine pods that unfold during subspace flight and a set of covers over its main missile armament that open when firing.

@scienceguy8, on Mar 24 2007, 06:26 PM, said in Multiple unfolding sprites:

By any chance are you modeling a Puddlejumper from Stargate Atlantis?

Haha. High five to you. That's exactly what I'm making. I didn't model it though. I downloaded the model from SciFiMeshes. I gave up on the separate unfolding sprites but I'm actually rendering what I'm using right now. It should be pretty cool. I see you are part of a Stargate TC plug. Excellent, man.