EVN: Gundam Wing Plug-In Progress Log

I guess I'll start one

Well, I'll include my comments/screenshots/descriptions about the game little by little. But don't expect a lot right now since I'm pretty busy during the weekdays, not much is going to be updated until I can get to work on this during the weekends.

Plug-in started October 15, 2006
PROGRESS DONE
-Basically the beginning titles
-The storyline (may need revisions)
-In planet graphics (IE. Shipyard, outfits. Have most of these setup somewhat)

CURRENT PROGRESS
-In game graphics (very slowly)
-Fixing storyline
-Deciding whole game setup

THINGS NEEDING SUGGESTIONS
-What should be the starting Gundam/Mobile Suit/Ship?
-Make the CPU hard? (most CPU in EVN are pretty ridiculously easy)
-Should I include regular ships? (They do have some in the shows, but I don't know if it's needed. Might allow some variety though)
-Have an extra bar that needs recharging? (For weapons that require energy. It's like the Vell-os but instead of wasting fuel) may not add if it causes complications

Many of the pictures or information you may see are probably not the revised/finished versions. Such as in some of the pictures I took off the Internet (IE. Title Screen), the Logo from the original distributor is still there. In the finalized version, these things will of course be subject to change. For now, I'm basically creating the bones of the project, and working fast, but not too fast to recklessly mess it up.

Enjoy (For now some of the intro screens MAY LOOK CHEESY BUT LIKE I SAID, ITS JUST A ROUGH DRAFT)

Storyline/Literal/In-game graphical information will be coming after revisions are made

Posted Image

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by HELLARISES : 16 October 2006 - 09:14 PM

@hellarises, on Oct 17 2006, 12:11 PM, said in EVN: Gundam Wing Plug-In Progress Log:

-What should be the starting Gundam/Mobile Suit/Ship?

What does the main character of the original series start with? If it's one of those mythical über-powered ones with hidden abilities like most anime series, then you should probably start with one of the weaker ones instead.

-Make the CPU hard? (most CPU in EVN are pretty ridiculously easy)

Make a different set of shďp resources for the AI to use, with better shields, weapons, et cetera.

-Have an extra bar that needs recharging? (For weapons that require energy. It's like the Vell-os but instead of wasting fuel) may not add if it causes complications

You can't do this without modifying the game engine. Mind you, there's a very complicated workaround that would let you use the shield bar as a weapon-energy meter, and then you could make all other weapons shield-ignoring so that you don't lose "energy" every time you get hit. There's a few problems with this workaround, firstly that the weapon wouldn't stop firing when you were out of shields, and secondly that you'd be essentially doing away with shields.

It makes more sense just to use the energy bar that's already there.

P.S. If you have large images you want to show off, I suggest in future you simply add a link using the (url) tag, rather than embedding them in the page with the (img) tag. That way, if people on slow connections don't want to view them, they don't have to. Plus, large images distort the shape of the thread somewhat. They look pretty nice, though. 🙂

@belthazar, on Oct 16 2006, 11:47 PM, said in EVN: Gundam Wing Plug-In Progress Log:

What does the main character of the original series start with? If it's one of those mythical über-powered ones with hidden abilities like most anime series, then you should probably start with one of the weaker ones instead.

Well my original plan was depending on what you do in the first phase of the game, which ultimately leads you to one of the Gundams. So I'm wondering what can the player use meanwhile.

@belthazar, on Oct 16 2006, 11:47 PM, said in EVN: Gundam Wing Plug-In Progress Log:

Make a different set of shďp resources for the AI to use, with better shields, weapons, et cetera.

There isn't a way to enhance/alter the way the AI fights? Because there will be completely different weapons in my game, which will require the AI/Player to fight hand to hand (beam swords)

You can't do this without modifying the game engine. Mind you, there's a very complicated workaround that would let you use the shield bar as a weapon-energy meter, and then you could make all other weapons shield-ignoring so that you don't lose "energy" every time you get hit. There's a few problems with this workaround, firstly that the weapon wouldn't stop firing when you were out of shields, and secondly that you'd be essentially doing away with shields.

It makes more sense just to use the energy bar that's already there.

You are talking about the Fuel Bar right?

But yeh, I realized it was going to be complex after I posted, so I edited it. The only problem I see with using the Energy bar in my game, is that it's going to be massively used (IF I decide to include energy levels from weapons) and if they're being used too much, there won't be enough energy to jump out.

P.S. If you have large images you want to show off, I suggest in future you simply add a link using the (url) tag, rather than embedding them in the page with the (img) tag. That way, if people on slow connections don't want to view them, they don't have to. Plus, large images distort the shape of the thread somewhat. They look pretty nice, though. 🙂

Will do, but Photobucket loads very slow too when you link them through. And I don't want to use imageshack because Photobucket has a much nicer system/layout/etc.

@hellarises, on Oct 17 2006, 03:17 PM, said in EVN: Gundam Wing Plug-In Progress Log:

So I'm wondering what can the player use meanwhile.

Some sort of personnel shuttle. Or a light cargo shuttle. Rather like the default scenario, actually. Basically, the idea of the low-powered starting ship is that it's something which gets you from place to place, but not much else.

There isn't a way to enhance/alter the way the AI fights?

Other than making use of the flags in the përs, düde and gövt resources, no. Not entirely certain why it needs altering, though.

You are talking about the Fuel Bar right?

Yes, only Nova technically has no fuel bar (it's called the energy bar).

The only problem I see with using the Energy bar in my game, is that it's going to be massively used ... and if they're being used too much, there won't be enough energy to jump out.

I'd imagine you'd have exactly the same problem in the series itself. Don't they ever use the weapons so much the Gundam stops moving?

Will do, but Photobucket loads very slow too when you link them through.

Well, yeah. And embedding them directly doesn't help matters much either. I suggest linking to the image itself, though, rather than the Photobucket page which contains the image.

Do you have the modeling skills/resources to create spďns of gundam suits for this plug? Or are we talking 2D graphics spun around?

@hamster, on Oct 17 2006, 10:33 AM, said in EVN: Gundam Wing Plug-In Progress Log:

Do you have the modeling skills/resources to create spďns of gundam suits for this plug? Or are we talking 2D graphics spun around?

Not really, but I've had good success with creating complex from scratch models for games like Warcraft 3 TFT and Starcraft.

Are there any tools that are good for making the sprites?

Sounds interesting. But for what I assume is the loading screen, I would suggest creating your own logo for EVN, instead of using photoshop and cutting it out. To me it just looks a little odd, cuase one is all cartoon-like and the other is all realistic-like with correct shadows and reflections. I hope I'm making sense....

@chronodrago, on Oct 22 2006, 10:05 PM, said in EVN: Gundam Wing Plug-In Progress Log:

Sounds interesting. But for what I assume is the loading screen, I would suggest creating your own logo for EVN, instead of using photoshop and cutting it out. To me it just looks a little odd, cuase one is all cartoon-like and the other is all realistic-like with correct shadows and reflections. I hope I'm making sense....

You mean making your own gundam logo to use as PICT ID 131? (The loading screen)

@jacabyte, on Oct 23 2006, 09:27 AM, said in EVN: Gundam Wing Plug-In Progress Log:

You mean making your own gundam logo to use as PICT ID 131? (The loading screen)

In a way, all im saying is to not like photoshop peices of the loading screen from the stock Nova, and put it on top of the gundam screen.