Escape ship woes

Ok, so I though it was logical that any carried fighter could also function as an escape ship...

I went and flagged all those ships in my plug, but then noticed a problem.
Any items in the outfit fields in the ship resource don't get put on the escape ship.
Even worse, the OnPurchase, or OnCapture fields don't function when getting a new ship this way.

Unfortunately, I don't see any work around that will allow me to make the escape ship 'as it's supposed to be' when you use it. Any ideas?

If not, I have to eliminate that functionality, seeing as the rest of the pulg is too entrenched to change it around so fighters don't have any stock outfits.

It probably won't work, but what about the OnRetire of your old ship? No, that can't tell what type of ship you're escaping into but depending on exactly what you're doing it might be better than nothing. And it will get evaluated when you sell or capture. Er, never mind :rolleyes:

Hmm.

It seems to be possible, my brother created an über ship, in which he was emitted to a Viper. I cant do it here, but when I can, I'll post the specs of the ship and the carried Viper so that you can produce your plug-in.

(Old stuff was rubbish, dont worry).

This post has been edited by philipw : 25 August 2006 - 04:17 AM

@philipw, on Aug 25 2006, 09:13 AM, said in Escape ship woes:

It seems to be possible, my brother created an über ship, in which he was emitted to a Viper. I cant do it here, but when I can, I'll post the specs of the ship and the carried Viper so that you can produce your plug-in.

You're missing the problem.
The escape ship works... it just doesn't have any of the stock outfits it should, and you can't execute any set strings. The outfit thing is a problem because you can end up with the wrong ammoun of available space, or armor, or other attributes, if those items were to modify those stats.
The set strings are a problem, because without them you can't fix the first problem.

The Viper works fine, that's true. But that's because it doesn't have any stock outfits.

@ Guy,
OnRetire doesn't work for exactly the reasons you suspected.

This post has been edited by Desprez : 25 August 2006 - 04:31 PM

Isn't the point of an escape ship is to not attack someone becuase you are running away? And another thing, if you in an escape ship, the game will want you to buy a new ship so that you can get on with the game.

Note the italics...

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 25 August 2006 - 05:28 PM

chrono, The Escape Pod and an escape ship are not the same. The Escape Pod is a non-player flyable ship used by the game for escaping. An escape ship is just a regular ship resource that, when your current ship is exploding, you enter. Like a Fed Cruiser and a Fed Viper/Anaconda.

View PostDesprez, on Aug 26 2006, 11:29 AM, said:

Or, you saying that field works when getting an escape ship only when gaining ship 128?

You will notice that I never used the words "escape ship ". I said "escape pod ". If you use an escape pod outfit, then the OnPurchase field for shďp 128 willl be fired.

I can't think of any good solution to your problem, but it seems that if you used an time-advancing mission in the old ship's OnRetire field, and had a crön to check for the player owning the new ship (via contribute bit?), you could use that to grant outfits. That's probably too clunky a solution, though.

Edwards

@edwards, on Aug 26 2006, 09:16 PM, said in Escape ship woes:

but it seems that if you used an time-advancing mission in the old ship's OnRetire field, and had a crön to check for the player owning the new ship (via contribute bit?), you could use that to grant outfits. That's probably too clunky a solution, though.

It would have to check that you don't have (some outfit) too or it will fire every day.

Hmmm. I might make it so that only a small sub-set of fighters are suitable for escape ships. So only a few contribute bits are needed. Or I can make a few escape fighters have exactly the same stock outfits (and so then can use the same contribute bit).

I guess this would work by using a dummy identifying weapon too... but I have more free contribute bits than weap resources right now.

@edwards, on Aug 27 2006, 09:16 AM, said in Escape ship woes:

You will notice that I never used the words "escape ship ". I said "escape pod ". If you use an escape pod outfit, then the OnPurchase field for shďp 128 willl be fired.

Did I miss something here? :huh:

@guy, on Aug 26 2006, 06:06 PM, said in Escape ship woes:

Did I miss something here? :huh:

Yes: The other thread. Click on the little snapback arrow and things should make sense. He replied to a post of mine in the EV:Orion progress log, and I replied here to avoid clogging up another progress log with off-topic comments. Admittedly, I probably should have included the quote of myself in the quote of his post, but that takes a fair bit of work to set up.

@desprez, on Aug 26 2006, 03:41 PM, said in Escape ship woes:

It would have to check that you don't have (some outfit) too or it will fire every day.

Very important point, but a slightly exploit-prone solution. If you simply check for one or more of the outfits being missing, unless you have one that cannot be sold on each escape ship, it would be possible for the player to sell all of them, max out their free mass, and get the outfits back. Perhaps have the original ship also set a temporary bit OnRetire, that gets unset by the AddOutfits crön (and also by a higher-ID'd crön that has no other effect, in case the ship is retired normally)? You'd need to combine this with an outfit check to avoid problems if the player captured a fighter of the correct type, but otherwise it should work.

Edwards

@edwards, on Aug 27 2006, 01:37 AM, said in Escape ship woes:

Very important point, but a slightly exploit-prone solution. If you simply check for one or more of the outfits being missing, unless you have one that cannot be sold on each escape ship, it would be possible for the player to sell all of them, max out their free mass, and get the outfits back. Perhaps have the original ship also set a temporary bit OnRetire, that gets unset by the AddOutfits crön (and also by a higher-ID'd crön that has no other effect, in case the ship is retired normally)? You'd need to combine this with an outfit check to avoid problems if the player captured a fighter of the correct type, but otherwise it should work.

I was thinking of a dummy outfit. Alternately, there is currently an un-sellable, un-pruchaseable out fit on every ship that represents general charasterics of different ship sizes. So these are likely candidates.