Black Hole Pirates

Progress log and feedback

First of all if you haven't played this plug get the beta here. This is going to be a fairly major plug. It'll add one new story line, with the focus being on fighting and piracy (duh). At this moment I don't feel inclined to reveal too much of the plot, though I will say it has highly cliched religious fanatic aliens bent on subjecting the human race. the Bureau's black ops department and a anti-terrorist organization. This plug will also have four endings. Eventually, I'm going to try to recruit someone to do fancy graphics. Right now I'm doing ships and weapons using placeholder graphics. Next will be planets (and their variations), then missions, then graphics. I'm not trying to recruit any help, so please don't offer. The point of this topic is to get people to play the current version of my plug (as well as future releases) and tell me how I can make it better (as well as point out spelling and grammar errors). So please download and review! 🙂

Note: the space bomber, javelin rockets, and space bombs will be removed in future versions.

Progress log:

dësc: ?%

Ships (including dëde, flët, and ship): 60%

Graphics: 0%

spöb and s˙st: 85%

Weapons: 100%
All that's left is a bit of testing

Outfits: 75%

Missions: 10%

Other stuff (përs, gövt, ďntf, ränk, snd, and crön): 50%

Yay! I'm done with weapons! I'm also close to completion of ships and spobs! w00t!

This post has been edited by gray_shirt_ninja : 08 July 2006 - 01:35 PM

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Jul 6 2006, 12:57 AM, said in Black Hole Pirates:

It'll add one new story line, with the focus being on fighting and piracy (duh). At this moment I don't feel inclined to reveal too much of the plot, though I will say it has highly cliched religious fanatic aliens bent on subjecting the human race.

Uh, I am confused. Does it have piracy as plot? You said thats the focus. Or does it have aliens as plot? Because if it has pirates as plot, that I can stand (even if Pirates are scum, especially ATMOS Associated Guild version. I mean all the dislikeable cliche attitudes). But if its plot is "highly cliched religious fanatic aliens" I think I'll pass. Im tired of absurd elements, because they disgust me or fail to even scare me (like the Darkwhatevertheywerecalled in E3). I have progressed to the point where I fight Aliens in Heart of Darkness. And I still dont like it, even if Tim is a master.

So no hard feelings- but I think I'll keep myself from playing the wackiest elements like this. I am pretty liberal on plot ideas, but...

Or, does it mean that them aliens will be in a later version, and this one doesnt have it? BTW, whats the difference between 0.1 and the first version in January?

This post has been edited by General Cade Smart : 06 July 2006 - 12:33 PM

0.1 has slightly more missions then 0.0. That's an interesting opinion about the aliens. The focus is piracy, but the aliens were going to show up at the very end to ruin your fun. I'll think about doing something different though. The aliens are going to have some cool weapons, so I'd need to figure out another way to get them in.

In my experience with games, avoiding aliens whenever possible is a good move.

What do people have against aliens?

Hmm, I guess we homo-sapiens must be xenophobic.

My problem is that people are always doing a terrible job with aliens. Take X3: Reunion for example, all of the different races are incredibly stupid. I think that a foreign creature is not to be imagined by the human mind, because we can't possibly understand what one might be like. We always making them closely resembling humans, which would be very unlikely.

And for some reason they all speak English. I'd be surprised if an alien (should they exist) even had the functioning body parts to be able to speak in a human sounding way.

Thus, why I disapprove of aliens in games. 'Less you can do 'em well.

@coraxus, on Jul 7 2006, 10:24 PM, said in Black Hole Pirates:

Hmm, I guess we homo-sapiens must be xenophobic.

That explains it. I'm a Pigeon. I don't care 😛

@wonderboy, on Jul 8 2006, 05:57 AM, said in Black Hole Pirates:

That explains it. I'm a Pigeon.

How do you have the sufficient intelligence to type that if you are a pigeon? 😛

Let's keep it on topic, please. Anyhow our monitor died so work on my plug is postponed 😞 I was just starting on missions too. I still have hopes of finishing everything but graphics by the end of the year though. But only if we get a new monitor.

@general-cade-smart, on Jul 8 2006, 05:17 AM, said in Black Hole Pirates:

How do you have the sufficient intelligence to type that if you are a pigeon? 😛

Just Because I am a Pigeon Doesn't mean that I am unintellegent. Ever heard of the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover"?

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Jul 8 2006, 02:33 PM, said in Black Hole Pirates:

Let's keep it on topic, please. Anyhow our monitor died so work on my plug is postponed 😞 I was just starting on missions too. I still have hopes of finishing everything but graphics by the end of the year though. But only if we get a new monitor.

Well, I hope you get a new monitor ASAP, or atleast your old one working.

@dr-neverhood, on Jul 7 2006, 10:40 PM, said in Black Hole Pirates:

My problem is that people are always doing a terrible job with aliens. Take X3: Reunion for example, all of the different races are incredibly stupid. I think that a foreign creature is not to be imagined by the human mind, because we can't possibly understand what one might be like. We always making them closely resembling humans, which would be very unlikely.

And for some reason they all speak English. I'd be surprised if an alien (should they exist) even had the functioning body parts to be able to speak in a human sounding way.

Thus, why I disapprove of aliens in games. 'Less you can do 'em well.

Ok, I understand that you disapprove of them in games, but look at Independance Day. They did a excelent job with the aliens, 'least in my oppinion. They nowhere resembled the human anatomy. Diden't speak english with out a mind controled human. So not all aliens are, hmmm, humanized?

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 08 July 2006 - 07:57 PM

I think you mean "humanoid", I know for example that a sentient race in the sci-fi series Andromeda called the Vedrans had four legs and two arms.

And the Shivans from Descent FreeSpace and Descent FreeSpace2 had 5 multiple purpose apendages. I will get a picture of a Shivan, even if its a screen shot, if I can. And I ment "humanized" To make something appear similar to a human.

Well we have a temporary monitor, so I can work on my plug, but now our internet doesn't work

Okay… now we have dial-up (thank goodness for spare phone cables and internal modems), so I should be able to regularly update.

This post has been edited by gray_shirt_ninja : 15 July 2006 - 12:38 AM