pers resource

help plz

Hey guys,
Does anyone know of a tutorial for making a pers resource? More specifically...what is and how do you set the communications quote and hail quote?

The hail quote and communication quote are two text strings; the first one is shown at the bottom of the screen (just like a nav buoy) when the përs is in the system and specific circumstances (dependant on the përs) are met. The second one is displayed when you hail the përs and greet him.

You set a quote to a përs by entering a one-based index (instead of -1) in the relevant field of the përs resource, this index will then be used to pull the string at that index from the STR# resource with ID 7101 and 7100, respectively (if it's 1, the first string in the STR# is used, if it's 2 the second, and so on).

Now it's usually suboptimal to completely replace these resources with your own, different only with one more string and everything else is just a copy of the original, the best way is to create a new 'STR ' (no sharp) that will patch the comm or hail quote list. As is told in Appendix III of the Holy Nova Bible, the patching ranges are 5000+ and 15000+, respectively. So as there are 42 hail quotes in the stock Nova scenario, you would create a STR containing the hail quote in the range 5042-5511 (inclusive) so as not to override some existing one, and you would put the corresponding 43-512 value in the Hail Quote field of the përs resource; same goes for CommQuote.

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 20 June 2006 - 12:58 PM

@zacha-pedro, on Jun 21 2006, 03:56 AM, said in pers resource:

You set a quote to a përs by entering a one-based index (instead of -1) in the relevant field of the përs resource

Avoid placing a zero in either of these fields - though it would have no effect on Mac Nova or PC Nova 1.0.9, it causes PC Nova 1.0.6 to crash without a word when the përs enters the player's current system, or when the player hails the përs. Same goes if you set these fields to a higher number than there are entries in the relevant str#/str resource.

@zacha-pedro, on Jun 21 2006, 05:56 AM, said in pers resource:

As is told in Appendix III of the Holy Nova Bible, the patching ranges are 5000+ and 15000+, respectively.

For some reason the second group actually starts at 15001.

Ah kewl, is this the same for when the person is angry at you?

And for a syst resource, how do u connect that system to another? Is it the same category as hyperlink? So i would just stick in the ID number of a system such as Sol....right?

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 21 June 2006 - 10:52 AM

Whats the difference between str and str(sharp)? Which one is used for pers resources? And does anyone know a good place where i can find a detail description on everything in a pers resource?

A 'STR#' resource stores a list of strings; a 'STR ' resource stores one. There is only one hail quote, just that when it's an angry one it's only displayed when the përs is angry at you (which is specified by some flag).

As for a full description of the përs resource, you can't beat the Holy Nova Bible.

@zacha-pedro, on Jun 22 2006, 07:40 PM, said in pers resource:

A 'STR#' resource stores a list of strings; a 'STR ' resource stores one.

Specifically, the str resource is used for patching specific entries in the str# resources, or adding new entries onto the end, without having to replace the entire str# resource (which can cause conflicts with other plugins). That's also explained in the Nova Bible.

At least, that's what 'STR ' resources are used for in Nova

@zacha-pedro, on Jun 22 2006, 02:40 AM, said in pers resource:

A 'STR#' resource stores a list of strings; a 'STR ' resource stores one. There is only one hail quote, just that when it's an angry one it's only displayed when the përs is angry at you (which is specified by some flag).

What flag would that be?

From the Holy Nova Bible:

Flags			 Some control bits
	 (...)
	 0x0004	   HailQuote only shown when ship has a grudge against the
					player
	 0x0008	   HailQuote only shown when ship likes player
	 0x0010	   Only show HailQuote when ship begins to attack the player
	 0x0020	   Only show HailQuote when ship is disabled
	 (...)
	 0x0080	   Only show quote once
	 (...)
	 0x0400	   Don’t show quote when ship’s LinkMission is not available

Notice 0x0020 doesn't work.

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 29 June 2006 - 01:08 PM

Ok...i see which one, but the nova bible doesnt always work to well for me becuase im using windows. So if i check 0x004 flag, it will only show when hes angry, but is it possible to have 2 hail quotes for one pers? Like one for when angry and one for when neutral/other.

Nope. There's only one hail quote, and you only get to choose when it's shown.

You should make sure the Bible works for you, it's plain and simply the reference for Nova plug-in making. Try opening it with WordPad, or something to get it working correctly.

Oh i can read it alright, and i only use it for descriptions, but other than that the flags and stuff like that are of no use to me.

What precisely do you mean by "the flags and stuff" being of no use? Are you having problems correlating what you read in the Nova Bible with what you find in EVNEW? Because EVNEW just represents the Bible in a slightly different (but equivalent) manner.

This post has been edited by Belthazar : 29 June 2006 - 07:42 PM

the flag identification (0x004) <--- things like that
I have no use for them becuase they are not needed in EVNEW
Other things that use flags like that are confusing becuase they arent always check-boxes in EVNEW.

The flags correspond to the check boxes. If you think of the flags as a binary number (which they essentially are; it's why the flags all go 1, 2, 4, 😎 then 0x40 corresponds to 01000000, which (if you turn your head to one side when looking at the përs dialogue box) is how the check boxes are set. Just because you don't need to know the hexadecimal flag numbers in EVNEW, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to understand what they mean.

Some flag-related or number-related things are done using a drop-down menu in EVNEW, which is all the more reason to familiarise yourself with the process.

Oh, so thats what the bits were!!! I never knew but i did try to find out. I just didnt know where to start