A poll for people developing TCs and/or large plugins

Poll: How much do you work on your TC? (25 member(s) have cast votes)
How many hours do you work on your TC?
8-10 hours a day
(1 votes [4.00%])
Percentage of vote: 4.00%
5-8 hours a day
(1 votes [4.00%])
Percentage of vote: 4.00%
3-4 hours a day
(2 votes [8.00%])
Percentage of vote: 8.00%
1 or 2 hours a day
(3 votes [12.00%])
Percentage of vote: 12.00%
1-5 hours a week
(3 votes [12.00%])
Percentage of vote: 12.00%
Whenever I find time
(15 votes [60.00%])
Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Thought this might be interesting, as it's pretty astounding how much work many people put into large projects like TCs.

good idea, i just want to let u know that mine is a large plugin not a TC.

I've been working anywhere from 6-10 hours a day on average, and although I was working on my concept around a year ago I've been actually putting stuff together for around 6 months.

I used to work more, a lot more, but since the direction shifted and it outgrew itself, heh...

Tough for me to answer… I haven't spent many hours on ARPIA2 this month, but back when I was writing/coding, I could easily spend two hours a day. Once, I even spent about eight hours on it. All in all, in the two years and three quarters that I've been working on the Arpia plugs, I must have spent a few hundred hours on it(maybe even thousands, couldn't truly say).

This post has been edited by Pace : 20 June 2006 - 03:40 PM

I voted 1 to 5 hours a week, though maybe I should've voted for whenever I find time. I've worked sometimes for a whole day on mine and sometimes not even once in a week. All in all, now I'm working about 1 hours per day, chipping away at the few hundreds descs I have to write.

As for how long I've been wokring on it, I voted 3 months. It's already been since the end of march. I guess I have at least a hundred of hours spent on my TC right now,but most certainly more than that. But I don't think anyone who likes their project counts the time it takes them. It doesn't matter to us, all we want is to get it done as nicely as possible and fully functionnal.

Hopefully, an alpha release is coming up(I won't say "soon" due to the new meaning it took with ARPIA 😛 😉 ), a first result of all the work I did and, even better, new graphics, another result of the work of nice peoples helping me out.

@mumbling-psycho, on Jun 20 2006, 04:59 PM, said in A poll for people developing TCs and/or large plugins:

But I don't think anyone who likes their project counts the time it takes them.

Not for me. I don't set a timer or anything, but I keep relative track of how long I'm working on something. To me it isn't related to whether or not I like the project.

Not for me. I don't set a timer or anything, but I keep relative track of how long I'm working on something. To me it isn't related to whether or not I like the project.

I know what you're saying, I, too, have a rather good idea of how long I've been working on it, but it doesn't really matter that much to me. I meant that often, when people are bored or annoyed with something taking a while, they can complain about the time it's been taking. When such things happen, sometimes we go as far as to count precisely how long it has been bothering us. That is hardly the case with projects we like. Usually, when you like something you're doing, time seems to go by faster than you realise and one tends to forget about exactly how long they've been at it.

I started mine about 3 years ago. However, there have been long stretches when I've done absolutely nothing.

When I'm active on it, I spend maybe 6 or 7 hours per week on it.

My largest current project just had its first birthday, and I didn't even get it a cake. (Come to think of it, I did get it a pie.)

Holy crap, I've really been reglecting Dogfighter Elite...

It might have been interesting if this poll had had an "I don't have any major projects" option. I'm somewhat curious as to whether any of the regulars here aren't working on anything.

Anyway, I've been actively working on my current project for about a month, very sporadically. Most of my progress so far was during a couple afternoons in late May, when I wrote up a description of the universe, factions, and basic plot.

Edwards

I guess I'd call what I'm working on a fairly big plug-in. It's really another main story line, plus a new galaxy way off to the left on the map, a lot of unused space over there in the "high" negative x coordinates. I've only finished 30 of the 120 new systems and nearly 40 of the 140(?) new stellars. I've been working for nearly a month, about 20 hours a week (work usually starting at midnight since I can't sleep).

I have the story completely mapped out, but I've been slow to convert it to the missions and descs. I was planning on releasing a sample version earlier, but opted to just keep working. I'll probably just make the ship and outfits I'm using right now available to everyone in a day or two. The Harbinger is a fine vessel.

This post has been edited by Ragnar0k : 21 June 2006 - 02:19 AM

When I'm actively working on Starfleet Adventures, I put in, on the average, 3-4 hours a day. I've been working on it, off and on, since the fall of 2002. (Is that right? EVN came out in March of 2003, right?) Since releasing the last public alpha back in November, I haven't touched it due to having a number of other projects and activities in my life, but I do intend to get back to working on it in the near future (by near I mean I'll start working on it again before November).

Well, i just started actually making plugins this year and actively partcipating in the web board. I just hatched my idea for my major plugin, hopefully it will work right =D, and i will be working on it as often as i can at home, that is once i get home. Hopefully my mom wont boot me off too often just becuase she doesnt want me on the computer =/.

How do you create a poll?

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 21 June 2006 - 11:16 AM

I need to do more serious work on CTC. Lately all I've done is planning and idea creation, not making. But I guess thats better than nothing.

@chronodrago, on Jun 21 2006, 09:01 AM, said in A poll for people developing TCs and/or large plugins:

Well, i just started actually making plugins this year and actively partcipating in the web board. I just hatched my idea for my major plugin, hopefully it will work right =D, and i will be working on it as often as i can at home, that is once i get home. Hopefully my mom wont boot me off too often just becuase she doesnt want me on the computer =/.

How do you create a poll?

When you start a thread, scroll down. There should be a couple text boxes and buttons that let you fill in a poll question and options.

@lord-rama, on Jun 21 2006, 01:49 PM, said in A poll for people developing TCs and/or large plugins:

When you start a thread, scroll down. There should be a couple text boxes and buttons that let you fill in a poll question and options.

Im still not seeing it, and i clicked new topic but i dont c any extra boxes other than post options which has emoticons, signature, and email notification. And post icons, but i dont c how i use one to create a poll.

@chronodrago, on Jun 22 2006, 01:38 AM, said in A poll for people developing TCs and/or large plugins:

Im still not seeing it, and i clicked new topic but i dont c any extra boxes other than post options which has emoticons, signature, and email notification. And post icons, but i dont c how i use one to create a poll.

Create a new topic. Above the input area there will be a button: "manage this topics poll", or something to that order.

Poll Options : Click here to manage this topic's poll

The button is the text. If you still can't find it I or someone else will post a picture of the new topic page, I guess.

(Edit): It doesn't appear to let me ahve multiple spaces side by side.

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 27 June 2006 - 03:35 PM