Nova Theme

@anaxagoras, on Jun 5 2006, 06:47 PM, said in Nova Theme:

Did you see the word 'windowed' in my post? I know full-scren WinNova runs at 1024x768 by default and can't be changed; I read somewhere that it can be changed when windowed, and it came from someone with experience on the topic, whom I happened to trust, so I assumed they were right.

So, answer my question, and don't overlook the Word of the Day: Isn't windowed mode the only way you guys can view Nova at your native resolution? After all, it would explain why chronodrago found it easier to read the text when in windowed mode, right? Or are you off in your own little world going, "lol dis mac guy is so ghey he doesn't know what hes talkin bout windowed mode dont do nothing rofl!"?

Sorry if I came off as trollish, but you're coming off as being about as knowledgeable on your own system as I am, and I have NEVER played WinNova.

I hope you realise that your talikin to a ex-Mac guy here. Only reason I switched was because our Mac is so outdated and ran outa room on its harddrive. then suddenly programs started to fail. things like the internet stoped working. Stuffit is dead. The utility that mounts Diskimages (.dmg) also died. And other various inconviences that made it a useless chunk of metal and plastic. I take that back. It was a nice heavy paper weight. That was all it was good for. But that is irrelevant. I saw you post. I read your post. I understood your post. I usuually run in windowed mode. It is not changeable! Yes you can change your monitors resoultion. And yes you can run Nova in full screen mode. But you cannot select the desired resoultion in Nova on a Windows Machine!

On a PC I expect it is never bigger than 1024x768 but I'm not sure of this.

Correct. It is also never smaller. I have experimented with changing my screen resoultion. Nova resizes the monitor. Also, Windowed mode. That would make the text smaller now woulden't it? Yes it would, and thats what it does.

I may just be misunderstanding you(or you me). I know my thoughts are unorganized and scattered throughout this post and I know that means this post may be hard to understand. Pardon my FLAME.

@wonderboy, on Jun 5 2006, 07:09 PM, said in Nova Theme:

Only reason I switched was because our Mac is so outdated and ran outa room on its harddrive. then suddenly programs started to fail. things like the internet stoped working. Stuffit is dead. The utility that mounts Diskimages (.dmg) also died. And other various inconviences that made it a useless chunk of metal and plastic. I take that back. It was a nice heavy paper weight. That was all it was good for. But that is irrelevant. I saw you post. I read your post. I understood your post. I usuually run in windowed mode. It is not changeable! Yes you can change your monitors resoultion. And yes you can run Nova in full screen mode. But you cannot select the desired resoultion in Nova on a Windows Machine!
Correct. It is also never smaller. I have experimented with changing my screen resoultion. Nova resizes the monitor. Also, Windowed mode. That would make the text smaller now woulden't it? Yes it would, and thats what it does.

Lol, i like the way u described ure Mac, my mac was also a peice of junk and probably was older than ures. Mine ran on something like MS-Dos, u dont get much older than that. 😛
When u say Nova resizes the monitor for full screen as well as windowed mode. Does that mean that the full screen text is stretched? Becuase it always seems blurry, and i have a 19" LCD monitor that has like 800:1 contrast ratio, so it cant be te monitor.

It is stretched only compared to the windowed size. It is no larger that it was. Its just that because you have....I don't know where I'm going with this.... When monitor size is smaller than fullscreen Nova, Nova resizes you monitor so that Nova always uses the same number of pixels. The same is true with a monitor resoultion that is greater than Nova's screen size.

@wonderboy, on Jun 6 2006, 02:09 PM, said in Nova Theme:

Tell that to this guy. And no, if the resolution is lower then the text will be bigger, though no clearer.

@chronodrago, on Jun 5 2006, 10:24 PM, said in Nova Theme:

Lol, i like the way u described ure Mac, my mac was also a peice of junk and probably was older than ures. Mine ran on something like MS-Dos, u dont get much older than that. 😛

I'm very curious to know how you pulled that off. Considering the massive architectural differences between old Macs and old PCs, it probably wasn't DOS, but then, Mac inherently means GUI. OS X is based on UNIX, which is fundamentally similar to DOS, but doesn't run on Macs that old. Other than that, the Apple machines (Apple I, Apple II, etc.) were also fundamentally similar, but they aren't Macs. So unless you somehow installed Linux without knowing about it (and that's assuming there's a Linux distro that works on it), I think you're confusing computers here.

@wonderboy, on Jun 5 2006, 10:09 PM, said in Nova Theme:

<snip>

Well, thanks for finally replying to me. Perhaps if you had done that before and made your point clear instead of being cryptic as hell I wouldn't have had to demand an answer again, no?

Brian said:

I'm very curious to know how you pulled that off. Considering the massive architectural differences between old Macs and old PCs, it probably wasn't DOS, but then, Mac inherently means GUI. OS X is based on UNIX, which is fundamentally similar to DOS, but doesn't run on Macs that old. Other than that, the Apple machines (Apple I, Apple II, etc.) were also fundamentally similar, but they aren't Macs. So unless you somehow installed Linux without knowing about it (and that's assuming there's a Linux distro that works on it), I think you're confusing computers here.

It was probably an Apple II; Apple Is are likely to be worth a fortune now, and the Apple III was a massive failure. The Apple II also introduced the first DOS (Disk Operating System) after the floppy module was released. It's unlikely that Chrono had an original Apple II, of course. The model he probably has is the IIe, which was the longest-lasting of the II line. It was available for purchase starting from 1983 until 1993. Talk about obsolescence :).

Drago said:

Lol, i like the way u described ure Mac, my mac was also a peice of junk and probably was older than ures. Mine ran on something like MS-Dos, u dont get much older than that. tongue.gif

Yes. You can get much much older than that. When I was younger I almost got to play Hercules And The Nemean Lion on a system with a 'screen' that consisted entirely of blinking lights, which was played by flipping switches. I'm pretty sure it was that enthusiast kit that Bill Gates originally programmed Xenix for, but I'm not completely sure; I've seen pictures of Bill's intended target for Xenix, and the thing I remember was grey with an entire field of lights. Your system isn't complete junk, though: You can probably run Angband.

Woah, broken quotes!

This post has been edited by Anaxagoras : 06 June 2006 - 12:25 PM

(quote name='Anaxagoras' date='Jun 6 2006, 06:01 AM' post='1581369')
It was probably an Apple II; Apple Is are likely to be worth a fortune now, and the Apple III was a massive failure. The Apple II also introduced the first DOS (Disk Operating System) after the floppy module was released. It's unlikely that Chrono had an original Apple II, of course. The model he probably has is the IIe, which was the longest-lasting of the II line. It was available for purchase starting from 1983 until 1993. Talk about obsolescence :).(/quote)
Naw, mine was older than that.
(qoute=Drago)
Lol, i like the way u described ure Mac, my mac was also a peice of junk and probably was older than ures. Mine ran on something like MS-Dos, u dont get much older than that. tongue.gif(/quote)
(quote name='Anaxagoras' date='Jun 6 2006, 06:01 AM' post='1581369')Yes. You can get much much older than that. When I was younger I almost got to play Hercules And The Nemean Lion on a system with a 'screen' that consisted entirely of blinking lights, which was played by flipping switches. I'm pretty sure it was that enthusiast kit that Bill Gates originally programmed Xenix for, but I'm not completely sure; I've seen pictures of Bill's intended target for Xenix, and the thing I remember was grey with an entire field of lights. Your system isn't complete junk, though: You can probably run Angband.(/quote)
Hey thats what mine looked like, black screen with blinking lights and then ure a circle flying in this weird space, and ure trying to kil these monsters. It was an awesome game.

@chronodrago, on Jun 6 2006, 11:07 AM, said in Nova Theme:

Naw, mine was older than that.

Are you sure? '83 is a long time ago, in the computer world. From the rest of what you've wrote, though, it looks like that computer could be not older but younger. Or just older.

Drago said:

Hey thats what mine looked like, black screen with blinking lights and then ure a circle flying in this weird space, and ure trying to kil these monsters. It was an awesome game.

No, I'm talking about a piece of hardware that had no actual screen per-se. One side of the computer was simply covered in small red bulbs which lit up to determine what you were doing. The computer I mentioned earlier was the Altair 8800- imagine that design, but with all the lights on top, less height, and a beige grey box. That's how it looked. I think I know what game you're describing, though. It's a 'roids variant for System 6, right?

PS: You could try looking for the game on this site.

This post has been edited by Anaxagoras : 06 June 2006 - 12:25 PM