The REAL problem with beam weapons

If a beam has count 2 and reload 0 and damage 1, and you fire it constantly, how much DPS will it deal?

30 (1 damage per frame * 30 frames)?
60 (1 damage per frame * 30 frames * 2 beams on screen at once)?

If 30, then making beams firing simultaneously solves the damage problem. If 60, though, then to solve it you'd have to make them fire simultaneously and have count equal reload (or maybe exceed it by 1, since time between shots = reload - 1 frames, I think.)

Qaanol, on Jan 20 2006, 10:49 AM, said:

If a beam has count 2 and reload 0 and damage 1, and you fire it constantly, how much DPS will it deal?

30 (1 damage per frame * 30 frames)?
60 (1 damage per frame * 30 frames * 2 beams on screen at once)?

The latter, I believe, which seems correct; it fires every frame but persists for an additional frame (total 2). Thus at any time there would be two beams present on screen, dealing 1 weapon1 damage30 frames*2 beams onscreen.

If 30, then making beams firing simultaneously solves the damage problem. If 60, though, then to solve it you'd have to make them fire simultaneously and have count equal reload (or maybe exceed it by 1, since time between shots = reload - 1 frames, I think.)
View Post

Why? The 60 DPS would be what's intended, if the developer gives the weapon those stats. Setting it to fire simultaneously would increase the damage by affecting number of beams onscreen rather than the reload rate, as you know.

This topic appears to be semi-dead, but it would really be helpfull if someone in the know could supply some answers. <_<

Thanks

-Phist

uh, go through your data files and set all beams to "multiples fire simultaniously"?