ship class naming

The original purpose of the "destroyer" was to hunt torpedo boats. They ended up replacing the torpedo boats entirely.

There's one we haven't seen much of... a torpedo boat. Would be Starbridge-sized, carry heavy missiles, and severely handicapped vs. fighters.

This post has been edited by The Apple Cřre : 26 February 2006 - 02:11 AM

unless it was a PT boat, those things freaking OWNED, they were the fastest, most manueverable boats on the water, and they carried enough firepower to kick teh s### out of any capship, and had enough flak capability to defend itself against one or possibly two firghters at a time.

Hmm let's see, I had problems when I had to come up with naming ship types. It was a good thing that I came across "Battlewagon" :D, but for the rest, I had to sort of compound words even though they weren't really unique in their own ways such as a Voinian War Carrier. However when naval type of names start running out, I think people will tend to put stellar related words in front of it, like Starcruiser, stardestroyer, starfrigate, or sometimes synonyms dealing with combat like war or battle.

Coraxus, on Feb 28 2006, 03:22 PM, said:

Hmm let's see, I had problems when I had to come up with naming ship types. It was a good thing that I came across "Battlewagon" :D, but for the rest, I had to sort of compound words even though they weren't really unique in their own ways such as a Voinian War Carrier. However when naval type of names start running out, I think people will tend to put stellar related words in front of it, like Starcruiser, stardestroyer, starfrigate, or sometimes synonyms dealing with combat like war or battle.
View Post

Sounds kind of like when I came up with the "assault ship". I intended it to be the midway point between a gunship and a frigate.