[ANN] The Return of MissionComputer

There's nothing to be learned by comparing loading speeds in 3.0 and 3.1; in 3.0, all it had to do was copy the file from one place to another, whereas 3.1 converts the plug-in or data file to a completely different file format when you open it, and then back when you save.

As I said, I've already written a progress bar for the next version; it even gives an accurate estimation of time remaining.

This post has been edited by David Arthur : 08 July 2005 - 08:35 AM

I just downloaded it and checked to see if the bug I'd noticed in 3.0.2 was still there… it was.

Whenever you create a PICT resource without an image, the application 'unexpectedly quits'. Some kind of warning that prevents you from doing that would be nice. I lost quite a few unsaved things from that one accidental click.

nuku said:

Whenever you create a PICT resource without an image, the application 'unexpectedly quits'. Some kind of warning that prevents you from doing that would be nice. I lost quite a few unsaved things from that one accidental click.

Fixed, thanks.

Sooo, with all of thse things allready written for the next version, when can we see the next version? (Not that I'm complaining or being impatient, I'm just wondering.) Will you give it a small update when you fel there's enough sttuff to be worthey of an update, or just wait till you have a whole bunch of new bug fixes and updates and such before you update?

P.S. Thank you for all of your support for this great program you created.

None of the fixes I've written so far are for problems significant enough to warrant rushing to release a 3.1.1 update, so at the moment I'm thinking the next version will be 3.2, adding one or two notable new features, and fixing the problems mentioned above and a few other minor things in 3.1.

Of course, nothing whatsoever will happen until the temperature drops to something resembling a decent level - in this weather I feel very uncomfortable after sitting in front of a dual G5 for more than a few minutes at a time.

As it happens, I suffer from the same thing - except that I have to work still since I'm doing an internship right now. Which involves making a complete FileMaker database with scripts to manage the workforce of a client. At least I can stop working once I get back home - you'll have to wait for the newest additon to ViewRLE, that may seem outdated in the Intel era but is nonetheless interesting...

This reminds me that NovaTools won't be usable on Intel Macs, since they won't have Classic. In fact, I checked and ResEdit isn't even PowerPC native. Mission Computer will be downright essential in the future, including for stuff we took for granted such as STR# and DITL.

Which reminds me...DA, have you looked into my suggestion for handling DITLs? This is especially important now.

By the way, if he just wants to implement basic functionality, there is a DITL template that can be used. Of course, you have to enter coordinates by hand, it's not exactly WYSIWYG, but it sure beats nothing...

DITL resources involve a level of recursion that the template- and RDL-based editors don't currently support, but the resource is one that should be relatively easy to write a graphical editor for, and remains on my list.