EVH

Who's interested?

Posted Image

I've been thinking about this for some time, I wanted to know if there was any intereste for this sort of thing, I have no time to do that kind of TC myself but if some interest was sparked it could be done by someone else and turn into a great TC. Any ideas, questions, comments?

This post has been edited by Matthew Walk : 25 April 2005 - 05:11 PM

One problem: Not enough ships are in Halo to make a good EV TC.

Nice picture, though.

This post has been edited by Fnoigy : 25 April 2005 - 05:26 PM

Aye there might not be a lot of ships, we could model some of the UNSC, covenant and some flood ships, but as for other ships, those could just be made at to fit the Halo universe. Then again there's no set criteria.

This post has been edited by Matthew Walk : 25 April 2005 - 05:37 PM

No there are enough ships in the halo Universe, we just don't know about too many of them and bungie is notoriously "mysterious" (that is to say, closemouthed)

But tgiven, that bugie, like abrosia, is resposive to it's fanbase, you might be able to sell bugie on the idea, and get some of the backstory.

I love the idea though... MAC cannon anyone?

HALO's space combat dynamics, as described in Fall of Reach (I only consider Nylund's works authoritative.. Deitz's suck) are much more compatible with the EV engine that ST or SW. Missile pods, and lasers as general armament, and special weapons in Plasma bolts and mac cannon... and remeber, Humanity did reach 800+ worlds.

And it would be really cool in that you could have human space gradually shrinking, as the covies closed in....

If this does come through I wanted the TC to start from before the Fall of Reach the where Halo 2 left off.

This post has been edited by Matthew Walk : 25 April 2005 - 05:49 PM

Hmm...I'm listening. The auroran cruiser always did remind me of the PoA. As for the lack of ship types: make new ones from scratch, fluff and all. Such a plug could be very interesting, with only a handfull of human ships having shield generators (and little chance of hull repair during battle) one must be ever vigilant to watch the armor bar. But the reality is, few plug-ins of this ambition make it through without extensive support from a base of supporters (like uncle twitchy's SFA has).

I wouldn't be able to help with my dial-up connection, but I'm all for the idea. Sounds cool.

And did you say SFA is VaporWare?

I think he means SFA has a base of devoted supporters.

I don't know about Halo2, cuz I haven't played it, but what about ground combat? You could make it so when you land you're ship changes to look like Master Chief and have all the dudes be full of those little critters (I forget their names). But, of course, you couldn't use any of the dudes in space. However, that would be double the work! It would be cool though....

zapp, on Apr 26 2005, 05:32 AM, said:

I don't know about Halo2, cuz I haven't played it, but what about ground combat? You could make it so when you land you're ship changes to look like Master Chief and have all the dudes be full of those little critters (I forget their names). But, of course, you couldn't use any of the dudes in space. However, that would be double the work! It would be cool though....
View Post

I started thinking, if you made a TC that looked like people on the ground running around, it would be a lot like that game Commando for Nintendo. That game kicked ass.

zapp, on Apr 26 2005, 10:32 AM, said:

View Post

Interesting idea, but I don't want to do the ground aspect of Halo, if I wanted that I would just go ahead and play it, I want to bring more of a space feel.

And this wouldn't be just Halo2, it would start from before the Fall of Reach and end where Halo 2 did, this whole thing would be in space (obviously) so some of it would have to be made up, but I would base the the core stories on the books.

Slaps Matthew

😛

Does no-one read my topics? I suggested my ideas on the subject here:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php...c=91615&hl;=halo

And it wasn't to well recieved, mainly because of lack of ships. I think with the descriptions in the books (Fall of reach and First strike) And a bit of artistic liscence, you could easily create enough ships for this to work.

I'd absolutely love to see it made, the Halo universe has to be my favourite Sci-fi universe.

I would suggest doing more of the 'Bungie sci-fi universe' than a Halo universe. There are two reasons. The first is that the Marathon universe is similar enough that you would get considerably more reference material for ships etc. without too great a sacrifice in canonality (is that a word?) The second reason is that with Aleph One, you have a first-person Mac-friendly developer-friendly engine available, plus there's a project bringing Halo to Aleph One called Halathon. Imagine a fusion of the two games, where you play a level in space, then placy a level of ground combat, all as part of the same continous story.
As fun as such a project sounds, I'm too busy to offer any of my time to its development at this time.

I like Capt. Bob's idea. I've spent time and effort reviewing timelines from both Marathon and Halo, seeing if there was a way they could be considered the same universe. (I'm still thinking about it.)

And I must say, that is one damn fine menu screen there, Mr. Walk.

TheRedeemer, on Apr 27 2005, 08:36 AM, said:

Slaps Matthew

😛

Does no-one read my topics? I suggested my ideas on the subject here:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php...c=91615&hl;=halo

And it wasn't to well recieved, mainly because of lack of ships. I think with the descriptions in the books (Fall of reach and First strike) And a bit of artistic liscence, you could easily create enough ships for this to work.

I'd absolutely love to see it made, the Halo universe has to be my favourite Sci-fi universe.
View Post

Yeah, I don't think lack of ships is an issue at all. Simple enough to create ships in a Halo like style. Human ships are big an bulky, smaller ships tend to grow wide and the bigger human ships seem to grow tall. That's the way I see it. I just though of how cool it would be to go through the Fall of Reach and then go to where Halo 2 left off, we might be able to even make some stuff up about that goes on after Halo 2.

Captain Bob, on Apr 27 2005, 08:59 AM, said:

I would suggest doing more of the 'Bungie sci-fi universe' than a Halo universe. There are two reasons. The first is that the Marathon universe is similar enough that you would get considerably more reference material for ships etc. without too great a sacrifice in canonality (is that a word?) The second reason is that with Aleph One, you have a first-person Mac-friendly developer-friendly engine available, plus there's a project bringing Halo to Aleph One called Halathon. Imagine a fusion of the two games, where you play a level in space, then placy a level of ground combat, all as part of the same continous story.
As fun as such a project sounds, I'm too busy to offer any of my time to its development at this time.
View Post

That would be way cool...I don't know a whole lot on coding game engines though. But I'm open to the idea, a halo-Marathon type universe would be nifty.

Emmit Gandlodder, on Apr 27 2005, 01:16 PM, said:

And I must say, that is one damn fine menu screen there, Mr. Walk.
View Post

Heh, thankee.

This post has been edited by Matthew Walk : 27 April 2005 - 12:52 PM

Halo 2: Mark VI Cyborg
Halo: Mark V Cyborg
Marathon Infinity: Mark IV Cyborg

Also, the A.I. constructs in the Marathon series (Tycho, Durandall and Leela) are the same as Cortana, and all their names are the names of swords (actually, that makes me curious of what Cortana would be like if she went rampant). Both the Halo series and the Marathon series had you up against a group of alien races banded together against you (P'for (SP?) in Marathon, and the Covenant in Halo). In fact, both Halo and Marathon had Hunters, which bear a curious resemblance to each other. A Halo TC would still look nice if you get the ships.

I'd say don't combine Halo and Marathon, the universes simply do not mix, the timelines and things are far too different. Although patching it in with the Halathon project sounds like a cool idea, but you'd have to get some covie graphics as well.

Now, the thing about this projects, as opposed to some others people have proposed, is that there are already Halo graphics in existance. Now obviously, I'm not saying to ask Bungie for random models, but there's a big fan community out there, and I'm sure that some of them have had a shot at modelling and texturing Halo ships. Just donate a little of your time, find a place where a guy's posted some screenshots, and send him an email. Nothing extravagant, just give him a low-down of the project, and ask if you can use his ship (giving him credit in the final project). Be sure to tell him all he needs to do is send the model, we have plenty of people here that can take it and make it into a serviceable sprite.

Go on! Now's your chance to join in with a TC, something you've never done before! 😄

I was thinking about instead of making this some type of exclusive plugin team project, it should be a project made by the EVDC. All members share there ideas about the project and what thye think would be good. Sound good? But first we need to take care of the ships.

Matthew Walk, on Apr 27 2005, 09:34 PM, said:

I was thinking about instead of making this some type of exclusive plugin team project, it should be a project made by the EVDC. All members share there ideas about the project and what thye think would be good. Sound good? But first we need to take care of the ships.
View Post

Pan-EVDC development has been frowned upon in past topics and realisticly has
very little chance of succeeding. You'll have better luck with an actual team dedicated
to a plugin rather then having people from a dozen different teams making a community
plugin that is their secondary project.

I must confess to having played Halo for a grand total of about half an hour in my entire life. But is was very funny despite my complete lack of skill with the controller. My experience is pretty much restricted to Red vs. Blue, which would make an excellent source of ideas and local jokes.

Matthew Walk, on Apr 27 2005, 04:34 PM, said:

View Post

It seems to me that any plug-in inevitably becomes the partial project of the EVDC as the creators find themselves lacking in certain skills, ie certain exploits, graphics, writing, okay, everything. But while the EVDC is often involved deeply in new projects, there is still a core group of people. This is necessary to maintain a consistent style and avoid the less enjoyable elements of creation getting ignored when no one has a direct responsibility.
But not to sound critical, I like the idea of a cooperative plug-in. Though having it be in the public domain for such a long time would hurt the surprise from a new plug-in.

This post has been edited by Klepsacovic : 27 April 2005 - 06:48 PM