Heat Seaking Missile

Originally posted by Eugene Chin:
**Technically, it is working. For most guided weapons, the only target it can hit is the initial target, unless specified otherwise (I need to see what effect this has on the weapon). Each submunition is aimed at the parent munition's target. That's why the weapon can track after a cloaked target.

Right, but if you have no target when you fire the weapon what will it do then?

------------------
"The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the top 10%." — Douglas Adams

If it's just the weapon sub-munitioning into itself, then it'll go flying off, as if you had fired any other guided weapon. (If you have the "Prox triggered by any ship" flag set, it'll start behaving very strangely.)

By the way: I think I've finally managed to upload the Cloak Hunter plug-in to the addon's page.

Eugene Chin, on Sep 12 2004, 08:30 PM, said:

If it's just the weapon sub-munitioning into itself, then it'll go flying off, as if you had fired any other guided weapon. (If you have the "Prox triggered by any ship" flag set, it'll start behaving very strangely.)

By the way: I think I've finally managed to upload the Cloak Hunter plug-in to the addon's page.
View Post

Oh wait, I think I get it now. The submunition doesn't actually lock on to the nearest hostile, it just fires towards it. My mistake. So the only way to get a weapon to track a random target is to make it repeatedly submunition towards the target. You can't actually get a homing weapon to lock on to a random target, am I right?

What kind of "strange behaviour" do you get with that flag?

Guy, on Aug 29 2004, 04:51 PM, said:

Right, but if you have no target when you fire the weapon what will it do then?
------------------
"The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the top 10%." — Douglas Adams
View Post

Good! Oh an Thanks! 😄