Quick Question: ship onretire field

The debug log is completely blank. It says everything that it would say if there were no plugin, except that it lists the plugins in the folder.

There's nothing out of the "ordinary" in there.

And I've proven it. (My) Nova does not except linked submunitions.

If the last missile links to itself, then it works, but not if the last missile links to the first missile.

Why not?

------------------
When viewing a Terrapin for the first time, I realized that anything flies-if you throw it hard enough!

You are sending Nova into an infinite loop. I bet you're using an older version, aren't you? In an old version of Nova, if a weapon submunitioned indefinitely or resulted in too many submunitions, (I believe the limit was 256 at the time) Nova would choke and die in an infinite loop. You can't set the sublimit too low, but you MUST use it to prevent the infinite loop scenario. I believe the 256 limit bug has been fixed, but I'm not sure about the infinite loop one.

------------------
(url="http://"http://fenris.ma.cx/forum")Fenris(/url)

Allow me to restate my problem:

I want to link a missile from missile 1 to missile 2, missile 2 to missile 3, missile 3 to missile 1.

I created three different plug-ins to test this.

One each one, Nova never left the "ATMOS" screen when it first starts up.

Oh, and I'm using Nova 1.0.7, so there's no problem with age.

BTW, if ininite loops cause Nova to choke, then why when I accidentally set a Polaron torpedo to submunition into 2 of itself, but never set the sublimit field, the torpedoes merely continue to multiply? Why doesn't Nova choke when hundreds of Polaron torps are creating a flying wall of death moving across the system?

------------------
When viewing a Terrapin for the first time, I realized that anything flies-if you throw it hard enough!

Originally posted by Zzap212:
**Allow me to restate my problem:

I want to link a missile from missile 1 to missile 2, missile 2 to missile 3, missile 3 to missile 1.

I created three different plug-ins to test this.

One each one, Nova never left the "ATMOS" screen when it first starts up.

Oh, and I'm using Nova 1.0.7, so there's no problem with age.

BTW, if ininite loops cause Nova to choke, then why when I accidentally set a Polaron torpedo to submunition into 2 of itself, but never set the sublimit field, the torpedoes merely continue to multiply? Why doesn't Nova choke when hundreds of Polaron torps are creating a flying wall of death moving across the system?

The infinite loops problem was caused by doing exactly what you described in your post; the same effect as what you are now getting. However, the problem was supposedly corrected in 1.0.5 (iirc), to prevent the effect you presented in the latter half of your post from killing Nova. Apparently Matt missed your first method of infinitely recurring submunitions.

As a side note to this, does anyone know exactly how sublimits are handled in a method such as this?

Perhaps submunition chains should be controlled by the first submunition in a chain's limit- setting the first submunition's limit would cause the Engine to stop the loop after that number of recurrences. For example, in the above scenario, if missile 1 had a sublimit of 3, it would submunition as follows: 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3; assuming that sub 1 links to 2, and 2 to 3, and 3 to 1. The sublimits for the remaining munitions in the chain should be ignored.

~ SpacePirate

------------------
Eat blazing electric death!

(This message has been edited by SpacePirate (edited 01-17-2004).)