Outfit available to one ship

This is my own plugin for the Polycon TC. In it, I want to make changes to the Venerian Striker.

How would I make this outfit available only for the Venerian ship?

I think I have the outfit created (another ship to replace the old one, desc file, etc.)

Beyond the problems of making the thing show up at all, how would I make it only available once I bought that particular ship?

There doesn't seem to be anything equivalent in the regular EVN game. They are all mission relevant. (you have to make it so far in a mission to have certain things available).

I want the ship to have this upgrade available once the ship is purchased and only for that ship (those starbridge upgrades are similar, but you can get them for any ship.)

The compare and require fields in the outfit seem to have something to do with it, but they are not used on the by the Venerian ship.

Is this a situation where I am going to have to add a require flag to the Venerian ship already in the TC?

Lots of questions, and no answers that I could find in the Bible or here.

------------------
Ivanova: "I can only conclude that I am paying off karma at a vastly accelerated rate."

Set a contribute field in the ship resource, and a corresponding require field in the outf. Becareful you don't make something else availble, but these fields aren't widely used.

------------------
"Was it love, or was it the idea of being in love?"-Pink Floyd
"Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice." -Baruch Spinoza
Russell for President 2020!

The main thing that the contribute fields were used for were th licenses. Also, bit A5 is used to allow any outfits to be purchased. I think this is in conjunction with the vell-os storyline disallowing any purchases.

------------------

Originally posted by Andcarne:
**The main thing that the contribute fields were used for were th licenses. Also, bit A5 is used to allow any outfits to be purchased. I think this is in conjunction with the vell-os storyline disallowing any purchases.

YEs, but the contribute field is really quite versatile with many functions that most people don't bother with. This is one case. Alternatively, you can set a bit onPurchase, and then require that bit for availability of the outfit. I am not sure if the onPurchase field gets evaluated if the ship is given to you by a mission (the Hxxx bit I believe, could be wrong) and if I am guessing correctly what you are doing, this could very well be an issue.

------------------
"Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice." -Baruch Spinoza

I'm not sure, but I do know that either the OnCapture field or the OnPurchase field IS evaluated when your ship is switched by Hxxx or the like. I'm not sure which it actually is, though, since I've never set them to be different from eachother.

------------------
~Charlie

AnubisTTP did not use the Contribute/Required fields.

I'd have to replace his ship with one that does. I was wanting to avoid that.

I was always confused by "bits"

I understand the Command Bits in the Bible, where Hxxx will give you a blank ship of xxx with what it normally comes with and Exxx will give you the new ship and let you keep your previously purchased stuff.

Most bits seem to be Mission related. For example in Polycon b1014 is vecon 5 Officer (presumably when set you are and Officer for Vecon)

How do you assign a bit? Do I have to create some invisible mission where you purchase ship "blah" and upon doing so, bitxXx is set. Then you go to Vecon Mentat and the new outfit will show because it will test for bitxXx?

------------------
Ivanova: "I can only conclude that I am paying off karma at a vastly accelerated rate."

If you just wanted a certain bit set you could do it easily a couple different ways - both mission related:

1. Create an invisible mission that auto-aborts on Accept. Then in the On Accept field activate the bit you want.

2. Create a mission that will complete after landing on some planet and activate the bit at that point.

Both missions would be offered from the BBS.

In your case I would have to agree that using the Contribute/Require fields would be the easiest way to acomplish your objective. For the ship resource set the contribute field. For the outfit you want set the require field to the same as what the ship's contribute is. This is all there is too it. Additionally, you could set the "Show only if Require bits are met" flag and the outfit would only show up if the pilot was using that ship.

------------------
I used to jog but the ice kept falling out of my glass.

Easier way to set the bit you want:

1)Each ship has some bit fields with names like onCapture, onRelease, onPurchase, etc. Enter bxxx in the onPurchase field of the ship, and but !bxxx in the onSell and onRelease fields (Im not sure if there is onSell, it may just call onRelease when sold. Check out the Leviathan in EVN for an example)

2)Each outfit has a visibility test field. Set bxxx in that field and it will only be available when you have purchased that ship.

ALternatively, despite their lack of use of Require and Contribute fields, all you have to do is open up the ship from the game and click a contribute field, and then the corresponding Require field of the outfit. It is really VERY straight forward.

------------------

You could just set mision bits using the OnPurchase and OnRetire fields, but the easiest way is to just use a contribute flag.

------------------

Ok, so I will use the Contribute Require flags. This would be easier if I was creating this for EVN, but it is for a TC and I am having trouble getting my version of the ship to show up in the first place. I figured I would make...

Anyway I am getting off topic. I guess I will have to pull this topic up again once I can get the copy of the original ship to appear twice in the Ship area. (once for the regular ship, and once for the one that has Contribute/require, or setting an arbitrary bit for the ship (Onpurchase Set) and the Availability test in the outfit.

I am getting to the point where I have to write down how each of the IDs are used and create my own.

Ah well, trials and tribulations. I see there is more than one way to skin a cat in this game. 🙂

------------------

Originally posted by Vast Deathmaster:
**Ok, so I will use the Contribute Require flags. This would be easier if I was creating this for EVN, but it is for a TC and I am having trouble getting my version of the ship to show up in the first place. I figured I would make...

Anyway I am getting off topic. I guess I will have to pull this topic up again once I can get the copy of the original ship to appear twice in the Ship area. (once for the regular ship, and once for the one that has Contribute/require, or setting an arbitrary bit for the ship (Onpurchase Set) and the Availability test in the outfit.

I am getting to the point where I have to write down how each of the IDs are used and create my own.

Ah well, trials and tribulations. I see there is more than one way to skin a cat in this game. :)**

Are you trying to modify the Venerian ship in general or are you creating somewhat of a new variant? If you just want to modify the original ship, then of course you can just use that ship ID for your Contribute/Require fields. There's not reason to create a new ship. If you're making a new variant that can carry a particular outfit then just copy all the orignal ship info to a new original ID. If you're going about it the second way, you're probably going to want some mission or cron bit to set anyway so that the new ship only appears at a certain time. I hope this helps somewhat. If not, ah well.

------------------
I used to jog but the ice kept falling out of my glass.

Just duplicate the original ship, and if you want it activated be a misn or cron, have the Availability field test for a certain mission bit.

------------------

Originally posted by Kame:
**Are you trying to modify the Venerian ship in general or are you creating somewhat of a new variant? If you just want to modify the original ship, then of course you can just use that ship ID for your Contribute/Require fields. There's not reason to create a new ship. If you're making a new variant that can carry a particular outfit then just copy all the orignal ship info to a new original ID. If you're going about it the second way, you're probably going to want some mission or cron bit to set anyway so that the new ship only appears at a certain time. I hope this helps somewhat. If not, ah well.

You are sort of correct. I want to use the same exact ship and give it an upgrade at Vecon Mentat.

As it turns out, I cloned the original ship and did the OnPurchase Set/Visibility Test route.

Since the purchased ship is identical, I'd rather the original ship not be there.

------------------

Here's another one.

I cannot get the picture or the ship description to show in the Purchase area. I haven't looked, but I think I have the same problem with the Outfit that I created (no picture, no description)

I have created pic pictures and renumbered them to be similary to the originals (for example, if the ship pictures ended at ID 5101, I kept my pictures within the 5000's) The ship info shows up and the name of the ship, but no picture or description.

I have also made sure to add the pict id for the ship at the bottom of the description.

------------------

**I have created pic pictures and renumbered them to be similary to the originals (for example, if the ship pictures ended at ID 5101, I kept my pictures within the 5000's) The ship info shows up and the name of the ship, but no picture or description.

I have also made sure to add the pict id for the ship at the bottom of the description.

Did you make sure that this was not one of those descs that needs to have a specific ID related value? MC tells you which desc to use for a certain things, and NovaTools has all of the conventions in a drop down menu. Check and make sure they mesh, since in the 5000 may not be enough if it has to be 5000 + ID -128 or some such.

------------------

**You are sort of correct. I want to use the same exact ship and give it an upgrade at Vecon Mentat.

As it turns out, I cloned the original ship and did the OnPurchase Set/Visibility Test route.

Since the purchased ship is identical, I'd rather the original ship not be there.

The ndelete the duplicated ship and simply set the onPurchase field of the original ship. This will save haslles with dude, pers, and flet resources.

------------------

Originally posted by Russell Quintero:
**The ndelete the duplicated ship and simply set the onPurchase field of the original ship. This will save haslles with dude, pers, and flet resources.

I had the intention of Uploading this plugin. If it was just a personal thing, yea, then I would just edit AnubisTTP's creation.

So, I make things more difficult.

Now you make me worried that I have to deal with other resources. 🙂

------------------

Originally posted by Russell Quintero:
**Did you make sure that this was not one of those descs that needs to have a specific ID related value? MC tells you which desc to use for a certain things, and NovaTools has all of the conventions in a drop down menu. Check and make sure they mesh, since in the 5000 may not be enough if it has to be 5000 + ID -128 or some such.

Unfortunately, Mission Computer 2.0 doesn't show ship settings... but I am trying the novatools settings and seeing what happens.

I am still not having luck getting the desc and pics to show in game. Looks like it may stay a personal plugin :frown:

------------------

The pictures are 5000 + the id number of the ship resource, which, in NovaTools is listed at the top. i don't know how this works in mission computer.

------------------

Originally posted by Andcarne:
**The pictures are 5000 + the id number of the ship resource, which, in NovaTools is listed at the top. i don't know how this works in mission computer.

Well, I sort of gave up. If I upload this I will just give instructions on what bit to set on the original ship and leave it at that.

The outfit works fine, pictures and everything.

Oh, and I did use Novatools settings, so its ok.

Thanks everyone for the help.

------------------