Divine lamp question

I found the Divine Lamp last evening, and after eqipping it I felt it wasn't helping a whole lot, still got smacked around a bunch. I read the entry about it in Mike Zeman's excallent walkthrough, it states:

"The divine lamp is the ultimate in undead protection. It is held in 1 hand(like a shield) so you will not be able to equip any 2-handed items nor a shield when the lamp is equipped."

When I used it, the lamp took the place of my gloves in the inventory window. I was also using a bow. Could this be why it wasn't working? I have yet to try a one handed weapon with it to get better results.

I guess the other explaination could be that the undead are still very powerful and no matter what they'll hit you. I just expected more from the protection.

Could Someone please shed some...light on this please. I apologize for the phrase 🙂

Thanks in advance,
Mr Mendleson

------------------
"be happy or not!" -devo

The divine lamp goes in the gloves slot, as you said. You can still use two-handed weapons or a shield while the lamp is equipped. It offers the most undead protection of any single item, but it does not completely protect you. You can combine it with other items to increase your resistance. If you check your statistics screen (hitting the "S" key) you will see a stat for "Undead Protection." The higher this is, the less damage you take from undead attacks. The lamp by itself makes a difference, but undead attacks will still get through, and the powerful undead will still do considerable damage.

(quote)Originally posted by mrmendleson:
**I found the Divine Lamp last evening, and after eqipping it I felt it wasn't helping a whole lot, still got smacked around a bunch. I read the entry about it in Mike Zeman's excallent walkthrough, it states:

"The divine lamp is the ultimate in undead protection. It is held in 1 hand(like a shield) so you will not be able to equip any 2-handed items nor a shield when the lamp is equipped."

When I used it, the lamp took the place of my gloves in the inventory window. I was also using a bow. Could this be why it wasn't working? I have yet to try a one handed weapon with it to get better results.

I guess the other explaination could be that the undead are still very powerful and no matter what they'll hit you. I just expected more from the protection.

Could Someone please shed some...light on this please. I apologize for the phrase 🙂

The Divine lamp gives 50 undead protection which is most evident in close range combat. That is, without the bow. You can also purchase the Holy Cloak which gives an additional 20 undead protection. There are several weapons which also have undead protection including the Dagger of Ferret (which has 15) which has to be found - it cannot be purchased, and the Claymore Of Light (20 undead).

Those Revenant Zombies pack a whallop if they get an opening and there are stronger undead creatures still to come. Hang on to your equipment and change as the situation warrants.

I hope this helps you out.

~RD

Edit for typo
------------------
My Doctor said I was having too much wine, women, and song - so I gave up singing because 2 out of 3 is not so bad.
You may get an easily printed sectional map of the Kingdom of Garendall (url="http://"http://mywebpage.netscape.com/rduckfwj/pog/mapnotes.html")here.(/url)

(This message has been edited by Rubber Ducky (edited 09-12-2002).)

Thank you, thank you, again.

It was Revenants that I was fighting at the time, I had no idea they were that powerful. Maybe I need the Boots of Running Really Fast.

------------------
"be happy or not!" -devo

Originally posted by mrmendleson:
**Thank you, thank you, again.

It was Revenants that I was fighting at the time, I had no idea they were that powerful. Maybe I need the Boots of Running Really Fast.

Welcome to the boards! I just wanted to add that if you have over 100 in mind or undead protection, you actually GAIN life from each attack. The strongest undead creatures are Death Knights. If you think Revenant Zombies pack a wallop, try fighting a Death Knight. Of course, you have probably already fought the one during the General Decimus quest, but that's not the last you'll see of them.

------------------
"If a soldier sweats in
boot camp, he won't
bleed in battle."

Originally posted by Tanis Half-Halo:
**--- The strongest undead creatures are Death Knights. If you think Revenant Zombies pack a wallop, try fighting a Death Knight. Of course, you have probably already fought the one during the General Decimus quest, but that's not the last you'll see of them.

The Death Knight who has taken over Gen. Decimus' body has lower stats than all others in the game. He has an HP rating of 90 and yields 1000 XP, whereas all the other Death Knights are HP = 150, XP = 2500. Personally, I think the Dark Spirits are the most viscious of the undead in the standard version of PoG even though their stats are lower than Death Knights (HP = 135, XP = 1500). This may be because they have greater strength, but I don't know how to verify that.

------------------
My Doctor said I was having too much wine, women, and song - so I gave up singing because 2 out of 3 is not so bad.
The (url="http://"http://mywebpage.netscape.com/rduckfwj/pog/mapnotes.html")Kingdom of Garendall(/url) sectional map is easily printed from gif format pages.
Find those areas you missed the first time around.