PoG on OS X Crashes

This is a shot in the dark, but I've noticed that the OS X PoG will occasionally inexplicably quit. This is annoying, but not fatal.

I have, however, noticed that over the last few days, it appears to crash my entire system, resulting in an unkillable finder process, an unkillable loginwindow process, and even a "shutdown -r now" issued as root won't reboot the system.

This may just be due to something else (I have been playing quite incessantly recently) I just want to find out what other peoples experiences were. This has been (3 times now, all whilst playing PoG) the only times I have had to reboot my system without planning to in many months.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, I have found my problem, if not, I will have to start checking my hardware more thoroughly.

------------------

Turn on the crashlog in the console prefs - at least then Beenox will have something to go on...

I have had PoG crash a few times as well...

Elias.

Originally posted by Elias.:
**Turn on the crashlog in the console prefs - at least then Beenox will have something to go on...

I have had PoG crash a few times as well...

Elias.**

Good Idea, Done (I hadn't noticed that feature of console, it must be fairly new).

I have taken to running in Classic now, it's just as fast (seems to even be a bit faster at times) and if it brings Classic down, I couldn't care less.

I was just a bit peeved that it locked up my interface and forced me to hard reset, that shouldn't be possible on a system with protected memory. I checked my syslog and noticed that SystemUIServer was complaning repeatedly (about 300 times in a row):

Feb 15 00:17:01 localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: kCGErrorFailure : CGSGetWindowGeometry: Invalid window

The only way I was able to get in to my system after the lockup was to ssh in from another machine, at that point the "shutdown -r now" appeared to work, I got the proper warning message, and was automatically logged out, but the system never did reboot I waited about 10 minutes just to give it a chance.

(This message has been edited by Minister (edited 02-15-2002).)

Make sure you have the latest update to OS X. It's never crashed for me.

------------------

Originally posted by reimero:
**Make sure you have the latest update to OS X. It's never crashed for me.

For me, it's crashing constantly, and I have my system up-to-date, as is the App. The chain of events nearly always involves a battle. At some point while blows are being exhanged, the sound freaks out in a major way (makes my ears bleed) and within 15 seconds, the app unexpectedly quits. I have also had it crash for no apparent reason, and with no audio warning.

In another thread, it was supposed that the problem lies with Dual Processor machines. I have a dual 500 G4. Apparently Beenox is working on a fix.

Originally posted by Happyhaunt:
**For me, it's crashing constantly, and I have my system up-to-date, as is the App. The chain of events nearly always involves a battle. At some point while blows are being exhanged, the sound freaks out in a major way (makes my ears bleed) and within 15 seconds, the app unexpectedly quits. I have also had it crash for no apparent reason, and with no audio warning.

In another thread, it was supposed that the problem lies with Dual Processor machines. I have a dual 500 G4. Apparently Beenox is working on a fix.**

Yes, I contributed to that thread because of PoG invariably crashing on my dual 500 G4. I went back to running PoG on Mac OS 9.2, where it does very well with few exceptions (sound screeches and hall of mirrors in the Learning Tree on occasion.)

Flandarg

------------------

It's a testiment to how addictive the game can be (just a little further and I'll go to sleep...) that I continue to play even though by any reasonable standards, it is completely unplayable on my Dual G4 machine under OSX. Today I counted the crashes- 32 times in a three hour period. I'm literally saving every time I move to a new screen so as to avoid retracing too many steps. Finishing the Awareness quest was a chore because it doesn't let you save when you're in the final rooms of the cave, and it crashed 3 times before I was finally able to get the scroll.

The threat of a crash has become more of an adrenalin rush than the threat of being killed by a monster, though I would gladly give it up. Since I've pretty much vanquished OS 9.x to occasional Classic use, I'm not going to boot into it just to play, though admittedly suffering through the constant crashes is masochistic at best. I hope there's a patch soon.

------------------
"I'm a Spalding Grey in
a Rick Dees world." -
Homer J. Simpson

That has to be it then. I've had absolutely no issues playing on a single processor.

------------------

Originally posted by reimero:
**That has to be it then. I've had absolutely no issues playing on a single processor.

Correct. Beenox is aware that POG crashes and generally does not run well on machines
with dual processors. They are working on an update though there is no release date
stated to my knowledge. We also have no details as to what will be fixed with this
update other than the dual-cpu issue.

------------------
Lolly lolly lolly get your adverbs here.

I've submitted a few crash logs in both 10.1.2 and the recently released 10.1.3 (it didn't fix the issue), and to their credit both Beenox and Ambrosia's head honchos have been extraordinarily responsive and helpful. I hope the logs aid their search for a solution.

As for my other little problem of still being a Minotaur, well, I am indeed SOL. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be fun starting over after being 3/4 through the game. It'll certainly drive home the multiple save games lesson (one that I usually follow but didn't out of laziness this time). 😕

-Ry

------------------
"I'm a Spalding Grey in
a Rick Dees world." -
Homer J. Simpson

Originally posted by Happyhaunt:
**It's a testiment to how addictive the game can be (just a little further and I'll go to sleep...) that I continue to play even though by any reasonable standards, it is completely unplayable on my Dual G4 machine under OSX. Today I counted the crashes- 32 times in a three hour period. I'm literally saving every time I move to a new screen so as to avoid retracing too many steps. Finishing the Awareness quest was a chore because it doesn't let you save when you're in the final rooms of the cave, and it crashed 3 times before I was finally able to get the scroll.

The threat of a crash has become more of an adrenalin rush than the threat of being killed by a monster, though I would gladly give it up. Since I've pretty much vanquished OS 9.x to occasional Classic use, I'm not going to boot into it just to play, though admittedly suffering through the constant crashes is masochistic at best. I hope there's a patch soon.

I played on a dual proc G4 for a bit. In the PoG info panel (command-i) you can tell PoG to launch as a classic app even when run from Mac OS X. It will still crash, but much less frequently (hour+ of play time between crashes), and you don't need to reboot. I eventually moved PoG to another machine anyway...

I found the game to be too sluggish in Classic on my Dual 500, so I gave up on that approach. However, I feel that Beenox may be close to pinning down the problem in OSX, so I can wait.

------------------
"I'm a Spalding Grey in
a Rick Dees world." -
Homer J. Simpson

I'm now running PoG on 9.2.2 and it hasn't crashed (but what a huge difference after working exclusively on OS X for 2 months now - I feel like I'm working on an antique). It's much slower (without that second processor kicking in), but at least it's stable for the moment. I only wish that they'd get a fix out - 9.2.2 is just not as smooth nor fast :o(

I was having problems with PoG unexpectedly quitting under OS 10.1.3 as well. I'm thinking, though, that there might have been some kind of conflict with Classic that was causing it...

This is on a 333 MHz iMac with 128 MB RAM. When I was running the game under 10.1.3 with Classic on in the background, it quit several minutes in. When I stopped Classic and tried playing again, it again quit after a little while. I rebooted (making sure to first specify NOT to start Classic up on startup) and played for over an hour with no incident. (I only stopped because I really, really, needed to start studying for an exam I have tomorrow. 🙂 )

So the moral of the story may be...don't run Classic before or during play! Hope this helps someone!

I just registered PoG. I think the game is very cool, but since I ran the register app, the game won't run. Has any one seen this? Dual 533, OS 9.2.2

Thanks

T

The exact words are: an error of type 2 ocurred.

Thanks again.

T

Okay, I stand corrected. I guess Classic isn't the problem. I had it unexpectedly quit under OS X on me today, not having run Classic since booting up. Not only that, it did it under OS 9.2 for me, too! D'OH!

Methinks they just have some stability issues to work on. :frown:

I have also had a problem with crashes of POG using Mac OS 10.1.3. My solution is to save frequently, so when a crash happens I can restart the game and have to redo only a small segment. I have experienced frequent crashes at higher POG levels.

------------------
Icefoot

Go into your Preferences, and click on your start-up disk. Choose 9.2.2 and restart.
Now play PoG all you want, albeit a slower version, but it works. I haven't had a crash since I did this (I'm using a Dual 450 machine).
I take back the crash problem, I had a little trouble with the dwarf, but I saved the game before I fought him, restarted my puter, then fought the dwarf. Since then, I've had no problems.

wishing for an OS X fix......

Perhaps those of us with Dual processors should begin posting on all threads that we want an OS X version that works on our machines. We paid for our product, now deliver already.

Sorry to sound like a jerk...oh wait, I'm not sorry.

Grendall

ps, and it would be nice to be able to edit on the web boards, even if you won't let us join.