Dagger of Ferret

My research on this weapon is burried deep in Stark's compendium replies but I think this merits notice on its own. The stats listed for dagger of ferret include increase in speed and dexterity but do not list the +15 undead protection you get when using this neat little tool. With sufficient strength I've killed cyclops with one blow so it's not a weapon to be treated lightly. Use it in all those crypts.

------------------
I knew I was marrying
Miss Right, I just didn't
know her first name
was Always.

Originally posted by Rubber Ducky:
**My research on this weapon is burried deep in Stark's compendium replies but I think this merits notice on its own. The stats listed for dagger of ferret include increase in speed and dexterity but do not list the +15 undead protection you get when using this neat little tool. With sufficient strength I've killed cyclops with one blow so it's not a weapon to be treated lightly. Use it in all those crypts.

With sufficient strength you can kill anything with one blow 😛

------------------
NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/arcangel_c/PhotoAlbum2.html")Rogue Thoughts(/url)

Point well taken but not quite true. With the Elven bow of Destruction the damage done does not increase with an increase in strength to cite only one example.

------------------
I knew I was marrying
know her first name
was Always.

I believe it does not modify ranged weapons, but all melee weapons are increased with strength.

Yeah, but there's a difference between a melee and ranged. In theory you could take out Sea Giants in one hit with a dagger if you have sufficient strength 😄 Its a nice weapon, but it isn't THAT good.

------------------
"it cannot be seen, cannot be felt, cannot be heard, cannot be smelt.
It lies behind stars and under hills, and empty holes it fills
It comes first and follows after, ends life, kills laughter"-Golum's riddle, the hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by ShadowFire:
**Yeah, but there's a difference between a melee and ranged. In theory you could take out Sea Giants in one hit with a dagger if you have sufficient strength 😄 Its a nice weapon, but it isn't THAT good.

Well I can take out a Sea Giant in two hits with my fist so.... weapons are pathetic against my muscles of steel 😄

------------------
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/arcangel_c/PhotoAlbum2.html")Rogue Thoughts(/url)

Actually I consider the dagger one of the best weapons.
As you all say, all you need is strenght potions. But the dagger grants +1 speed and + 15 undead protection.
So I´d say it´s much better than the dwarven rune sword or the scimitar of darkness.
Rune sword=20-50 in damag (or something like that)
20-50 in damage=20-50 strength potions
Now try to do the same with the dagger

Now try to do the same with the dagger

Ya know, I can see all the heavy weaponry smiths all over the kingdom wringing their hands and crying out for people to ignore this thread entirely. 🙂

------------------
"In the mornings, when I'm usually wide awake, I love to take a walk through the gardens and down by the lake, where I often see a duck and a drake, and I wonder as I walk by, just what they'd say if they could speak although I know that's an absurd thought."
-- Conjunction Junction by Schoolhouse Rock

Point well taken but not quite true. With the Elven bow of Destruction the damage done does not increase with an increase in strength to cite only one example.

That may be true, but the Dagger is not a range weapon.

Actually I consider the dagger one of the best weapons.
As you all say, all you need is strenght potions. But the dagger grants +1 speed and + 15 undead protection.
So I´d say it´s much better than the dwarven rune sword or the scimitar of darkness.
Rune sword=20-50 in damag (or something like that)
20-50 in damage=20-50 strength potions
Now try to do the same with the dagger.

You're leaving just one thing out: Strength potions are 4,000 GP apiece and the Dagger is very rare, whereas the Runic Sword is free and easy to get. Once you get the Runic Sword, you can get the Divine Lamp; once you have the Divine Lamp, you can get a free Elven Full Plate; and by then you'll be buff enough to easily buy the Boots of Lightning, the Holy CloakŃand if you want to, the Ring of Wind. That method covers and exceeds all of the Dagger's strengths. If you can kill a powerful creature in one blow, that's due to your own strength, not the Dagger's "power". Why keep the Dagger and waste a fortune on strength potions when you could sell the Dagger, get the Runic Sword, and be there?

------------------
The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason Ń Wizard's Sixth Rule, Faith of the Fallen.
Ń Cafall

(This message has been edited by Cafall (edited 02-27-2002).)

Originally posted by Cafall:
**Why keep the Dagger and waste a fortune on strength potions when you could sell the Dagger, get the Runic Sword, and be there?

One trip down to the map where the Order of the Crystal is, normaly gives me six daggers of ferret. And enough gold to buy around fifty potions.
The first time I completed PoG was with normal stats. Now I think it´s funny just being "the" ultimate knight. And this one way of becoming one

(This message has been edited by Opalius (edited 02-27-2002).)

Originally posted by Opalius:
One trip down to the map where the Order of the Crystal is, normaly gives me six daggers of ferret. And enough gold to buy around fifty potions.

I laugh at this, 50? you have got to be kidding. Mabe a few potions, but no more then 5 or 6. The monsters there are so poor, one trip killing everything in the area and cave going in and out gave me enough for like 3 potions. and Those mages rarely drop daggers, like 1 for every 45 mages. You could get the cash for 50 potions in one trip if you stayed there forever killing monsters sooner or later, but its not practical. (I can make 1M in one trip to reef island in about a half hour) Yet also to get the strength potions, you would have to make it to the witch alive, It takes awhile to be that strong and not get killed. Long before you get to the witch, you could already have the runic sword, lamp, and +60 elven armor.

------------------

(This message has been edited by ArcAngel Counterstrike (edited 02-27-2002).)

Where do you get this runic sword thing you guys keep talking about?I got the lamp. I think I know where the +60 armor is but I am not sure.I read in another topic about the Bow of Patience and I don't know where it is either and would like to know. Where is the place only rangers can go? 😕

Originally posted by Smoit:
Where do you get this runic sword thing you guys keep talking about?I got the lamp. I think I know where the +60 armor is but I am not sure.I read in another topic about the Bow of Patience and I don't know where it is either and would like to know. Where is the place only rangers can go?😕

The Dwarven Runic Sword is freely given to anyone who successfully challenges its owner to a duel and wins. Just go on up Wyrms Valley until you find the little guy with the chickens. Engage in an extended dialog and suggest that Drivatan weapons are best. The rest follows. . .

The heavy-duty armor is not far from there, just across the valley to the cliff line on the eastern margin. Look for a cave, go in, then look out for your life!

You don't really want the Bow of Patience, unless you want to be sorely tried! You can buy it from old man Nohrga, if you are a Ranger. Otherwise he won't talk to you at all.

Flandarg

------------------

My question is, how does one go about the process of defeating a giant WITHOUT cheating or spending hours trying to collect enough Daggers of Ferret to get the 50 potions needed?

------------------

Simple: You don't.

My question is, how does one go about the process of defeating a giant WITHOUT cheating or spending hours trying to collect enough Daggers of Ferret to get the 50 potions needed?

ummmm...find another way to get the 50 potions needed, such as just killing misc monsters and accumulating gold and getting more strength and killing nore misc monsters and getting more gold and increasing stength and...well, you get the picture. I just don't get the deal with daggers of ferret, though...I don't find them that great. How about just doing what Caffal said+50 strength potions?

------------------
"it cannot be seen, cannot be felt, cannot be heard, cannot be smelt.
It lies behind stars and under hills, and empty holes it fills
It comes first and follows after, ends life, kills laughter"-Golum's riddle, the hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien

Isn't Nohgra the guy that Gewin says he buys his ingrecients from?Yeah, I am a ranger.I'll look for the armor and person with chickens.Thanks Flandarg. 😉

My whole purpose in starting this thread was to point out the UNMENTIONED undead protection afforded by using the Dagger of Ferret. There are several situations where the undead mingle with creatures very much alive. I want to defend against both types.
Of course I'll take off my ring to carry the Divine Lamp, but if I don the Holy Cloak I have to take of my Elven full plate. If I carry the Claymour of Light I have to drop my Shield of Stone or Lilith shield.
It seems clear to me that one should keep 3 or 4 choice weapons to be able to meet each situation with the proper tools. The best weapon is the one that gets the job done without leaving one vulnerable to attack from other adversaries.

------------------
I knew I was marrying
know her first name
was Always.

Originally posted by Rubber Ducky:
**My whole purpose in starting this thread was to point out the UNMENTIONED undead protection afforded by using the Dagger of Ferret. There are several situations where the undead mingle with creatures very much alive. I want to defend against both types.
Of course I'll take off my ring to carry the Divine Lamp, but if I don the Holy Cloak I have to take of my Elven full plate. If I carry the Claymour of Light I have to drop my Shield of Stone or Lilith shield.
It seems clear to me that one should keep 3 or 4 choice weapons to be able to meet each situation with the proper tools. The best weapon is the one that gets the job done without leaving one vulnerable to attack from other adversaries.

I found the Holy Cloak and Claymour of Light fairly useless and sold them early on. I soon found that sheer power in arms and maxing out on ordinary armor was enough to get by any of the undead, without being at a particularly high level. This was true in the ranger game as well, although the Divine Lamp was somewhat useful at times.

Flandarg

------------------

The Holy Cloak combined with the Divine lamp does have a very powerful result (Undead Protection works in percentageŃthe more protection you have, the less of a chance the Dead enemy will have at hitting you, so +50 Undead means a 50-50 chance of him hitting you). However, when facing Dead and Live enemies you have to take off the Cloak and put on Elven Full Plate, which brings your Undead down to 50%. So you equip the Dagger of Ferret instead. However, what you're missing is that with a nice, powerful weapon(Runic Sword/War Axe Misery), you can kill almost anything in one hit, never mind whether it's Dead or Live, and the fact that the odds of you getting hit no longer matter, because he doesn't have time to hit you. Thus, you no longer have any use for the Dagger. But you don't know that, because you cling to the Dagger for it's (now useless) Undead ProtectionŃsee the flaw?

------------------
The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason Ń Wizard's Sixth Rule, Faith of the Fallen.
Ń Cafall