My TC? I would have expected more response than that.

I am astonished that on this board as any other, hardly any help was given for my TC. I have 3 helpers, not very much for a fantastic TC, now is it? I would like to have a fe more:

Beta Testers
Supporters (people to give me suggestions and keep me going)
Graphic desiners

I already have 2 beta teseters and supporters. I still need about one more graphic desiner (I have one, I need two), and more of anything else. I already have a mission writer, and I'll be writing a good few myself, but I need the above badly. If you have a plug going, I may even offer help to finish your plug so you can be fully concentrated on my TC. Please reply. This is going to be really good, I know it, but I need more people. Please, anyone with any skill or time (or both) then please reply here, with your e-mail address, skill and spare time you can offer. Thank you.
-Gav

PS.

If you wish to e-mail me then here is my address: JanGael@totalise.net. Whatever you do, don't e-mail me at JanGael@yahoo.com. Don't ask why, just don't e-mail me there.

------------------
My name is Gavin, and
dont you ever forget
that.
-King and leader of athiesm

Mac Vs. MicroSoft?
No competition.

I might be able to help graphics-wise soon. I have a batch of exams to get through first and a few graphics to finish for my own TC, which might be ready in the forseeable future, but I never did know when to stop :).

You ought to be able to get my email and stuff from the little info thing on the board if you're interested.

Seph

------------------
"Only two things are infinite -- the universe and
human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Gav:
**I am astonished that on this board as any other, hardly any help was given for my TC. I have 3 helpers, not very much for a fantastic TC, now is it?...

Well you could pray for help 😄

Seriously, a TC is a big job, and many more are started than are ever finished. Probably most of the serious developers already have projects going and are not really eager to jump into something new.

Many of us have been through the process before: a relative newcomer to the community announces a super new plug; asks for some helpers; complains because he doen't get a flood of applicants; vows to go ahead with a smaller crew; makes a few more posts about the progress (if any) of the plug; then the whole thing fades away until another newcomer announces "the greatest TC ever" and the whole cycle starts again.

I wish you all the best with your plug and I hope you can complete it. Don't get discouraged if you don't get all the people you think you need immediately; a few productive people can accomplish more than a battalion of foul-ups that don't do what they promise or take forever to do it. Be prepared to spend much more time than you originally expect to; a TC is going to take a huge amount of time amd effort.

------------------
Joe Burnette

"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed
among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer

I expect it to take about 10-14 months, hopefully less. I have it all planned out, and I know you've seen it all before, I'm not stupid. But this scenario is so basicly easy to create, yet it will be so fun to play. It isn't VERY new, just adding some new ideas. I would like more people. I don't want a flood of applicants. I simply want about two graphics workers, a sound guy, and someone to do missions. I have 2 people to do missions now, but no sounds and only one graphicer (although a very good one). The beta testers I do not need right now, just putting up. If you could at least be a supporter. I really need people to support me or I might, like mentioned by Joe, give up. Being a supporter may ruin your experience of the game, as I will be sending you a copy. Remember all you have to do is give me suggestions, keep me going ect. It's not much, and you get a përs god-like powers, an important character named after you, your name mentioned in the credits and the gloryof helping with a TC. If you can't be graphical, sound or in a mission, then at least be a supporter. Of coarse, if you really want to play it as fresh then don't, but if you think you could, then please do. Thank you.
-Gav

------------------
My name is Gavin, and
dont you ever forget
that.

Mac Vs. MicroSoft?
No competition.

Gavin, in 10-14 months, these boards, and any interest in EV/O, might very well be dead. What, exactly, will take you 14 months? I created both of my (unreleased) TCs in a little over a month, sans missions. What do you expect to take you a whole year?

------------------
God. Root. What is difference?
-Pitr

AIM: obormot345

I don't really mean that. I was in a pesimistic mood, and thanks to Burnotte, further discouraged. Thanks a lot Joe :rolleyes:.
I suppose it won't take that long at all. Hopefuly.
-Gav

------------------
My name is Gavin, and
dont you ever forget
that.

Mac Vs. Microsoft?
No competition

There is someone really Fücked up out there. i think it's me.

Slim Shady!!

Realmz&Exile; Vs. EV&EVO.; Hmmmm...

You think your better?
Break it Down! (DX-WWF)

DEGENERATE!

Whos yer other missions guy?

------------------
The Qaz

Originally posted by Obormot:
**Gavin, in 10-14 months, these boards, and any interest in EV/O, might very well be dead. What, exactly, will take you 14 months? I created both of my (unreleased) TCs in a little over a month, sans missions. What do you expect to take you a whole year?

Perfection. 😉
Gavin, do it without worrying about the time factor. EV players are growing in number every day. Absolutely the most important thing is that you are happy with the product.

------------------
Mace means no.

Originally posted by Obormot:
**Gavin, in 10-14 months, these boards, and any interest in EV/O, might very well be dead. What, exactly, will take you 14 months? I created both of my (unreleased) TCs in a little over a month, sans missions. What do you expect to take you a whole year?

Notice, however, that missions are by far the most time consuming parts...

------------------
-Shade

<-------- The information went data way -------->

(url="http://"http://www.theonion.com")The Onion, America's finest news source(/url)

Originally posted by ShadeOfBlue:
**Notice, however, that missions are by far the most time consuming parts...

That is certainly true. Of course, Gavin, we will expect quaility that is nothing short of Frozen Heart. 😉

I have yet to get an email from you, btw. I assume that you haven't gotten around to it. If you collect three or more people on you plug team, I suggest making a listserve, like on eGroups.

------------------
-Pitr

Consider yourself lucky, Gav. I have no one helping me yet.

Ach, I hate it when you have a great idea and are unable to bring it about, as if I had a good idea for a movie and Universal Pictures wouldn't make it.

Anyway...post in my "help on a TC" thread if you are interested (woah! shameless advertising in other threads! Maybe I should put a full-colour graphic here!)

------------------
Formerly COpperman - #29 on the Periodic Table

(url="http://"mailto:kroekers@home.com")mailto:kroekers@home.com(/url)kroekers@home.com

**I don't really mean that. I was in a pesimistic mood, and thanks to Burnotte, further discouraged. Thanks a lot Joe...

You're welcome.

If you get discouraged that easily, you are really going to have problems completing your project. I was not trying to be discouraging, merely offering some possible explanations of why you have not been overwhelmed with eager volunteers. I also wanted to remind you there there is a large amount of work involved in a true TC, and that it is going to take some time. Your 10-14 months estimate is probably realistic, but with luck and hard work you should be able to do it much more quickly.

Just to point out the obvious, anyone making a true Total conversion plug for EV/EVO will have to provide the following resources:

Ships including a full set of graphics for each
Weapons/outfits including graphics, both outfitter and sprite pics
Spobs including orbit sprites and landing pictures
Spins for ships, weapons, and spobs
Systems
Missions
Govts
Dudes
Flets
Perss
'STR ' and/or 'STR#' for ship names,outfit names, comm/hail quotes, cargo types, stellar types, etc.
Descs for all ships, outfits, spobs, and bars

and probably a few others as well. Then there has to be some background story and some plan or organization for the new game world you are making, and a story to tell through the missions a player performs.

It can be done, it has been done, and some notable plugs were largely one-person efforts. Don't wimp out because there is lots of work to be done, but be realistic about the size of the job you are taking on.

And remember, the person you are making your plug for is yourself, if you are satisfied with it, it's a success.

So, go for it!

------------------
Joe Burnette

"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed

THank you for the encouragement. I have already done the two first major governments, all their ships, dudes, weapons and outfits. I've done one governments systems, but I must warn you it isn't much. These are major ones, a human one (you) and an alien one, but they ae very primitive and small. One new feature will be the ability to colonise places (for the humans) via missions. I don't know if it's been done befre, and I can't really tell youmore, sorry. Only between the team. Obormot, I have sent an e-mail earlier today, so check your e-mail soon. Sierra, don't give up. Try e-mailing people about it. If it is a really good idea, then why not join my team. Unless it is really extraordinary, you could add the best bits to my TC, who knows? I doubt it will be possible, or that you'll want to, but in my scenario, humans own VERY little. It is an exploring game as well, ringing a new genre to it. Earht has about 3 colonies, and very little ships. You'll be very lucky to see a ship in human space, meaning that you are very important. Your main aim is to find new places to colonise and alien races to trade with, but that is only the beginning. I always wanted a plug where you were one of the only human ships, and you were tod to explore. But you see, that is only the beginning in the way that you pick sides later. There is no immediate threat to you (EV= Pirates), there is no-one waging a massive, expensive war against you (EVO= Voinians). Instead, on your actions, will things happen. That is the interesting bit. I have made many governments, but only on one gov. I have made a neutral human race, a human race that is at war with a certain gov., a human race that is an ally with a gov. ect. You see, If you piss some aliens off, the humans will be at war with them. If you deliver a peticular large cargo to them they will be allies ect. I cannot say more than that, only to my team. I know it is complicated, but it is the point. Newbies will wonder how it is done, to have a gov. suddenly turn war with another alien race. I have done a similar thing to the systems and spobs. Say:

EA (Earth Alliance) 1= Neutral
EA 2= At war with xx race.
EA 3= Allied with xx race.

I create systems on top of each other with different governments. This goes for always changing play, and to complete every scenarion possible, you will have to play a minimum of 3 pilots just for those. I have made about 10 govs, and they all have about 5 different settings each. That means that to complete the entire game thouroughly you will have to cheat and delete mission bits that stop you from getting other missions (ie. something similar to the Triple-Agent plug), or you will have to play as 50 pilots. Now, I'm certain that no-one would make 50 pilots or cheat just to finish the game, but you see how flexible it will be? Frozen Heart was grown out of as soon as you completed it, but this will go on for a very long time. I am sure that while maybe not as big or deep, it might well be nothing short of FH. Who knows, it may even be slightly better. Well, what do you think? I really want to know what you guys thing. Don't shower me with 'it's too complex or long' posts. I just want to know if it's a good idea. I don't care how long it takes, I will finish this. Even if EVO is dead, I'll do it. Even if everyone gives up, I'll do it on my own, if not for EVO then for myself. I personaly think it's a brilliant idea (modesty aside) and I want it to happen. As for the team, I'm quite happy with it, I just need someone to do sounds. I have so far:

Myself (storyline, galaxy, missions, and most things like ships ect.)
Admiral Zombat (3D graphics)
J.Ace (helpful stuff, minor graphics and support)
Zeta (missions)
Sphry (missions)
Obormot? (anything he can do)

So, 6 people is reasonable to start. I will probably get one more. I also have many beta tester and supporters. I don't care too much about beta testers, as they'll come when it is finished. I would like one special person:

An administrater of my e-mail. I need someone to answer my e-mail for me, and send my letters for me. I'm taking a short break on the plug as I wait for one or two more people to come, so I am writing this and my e-mail now. However, I will not have much spare time as I slave away on my plug, and I will need someone to do this for me. It would be a great help.

As for Qazwer, you can do the missions too. I have me, Zeta (or is it Zelda?:confused 🙂 and Sphry doing missions, but I plan to make lots of missions, and 4 mission people would b great. Oh yes, and Obormot, as for your one month TC's may I remind you that you said they were never released and had stolen graphics. What do you expect? Graphics will take ages, and what you have read should give you an idea of the complexatey I have to take on. Remember that no-one is doing governments and systems. With the system I told you about, it is going to take ages to do that. Remember that Frozen Heart alone took 14 months with Martin Turner, a very good plug maker. So, you see why it will take at least a year? I need at least 1 more graphic person, and a sound person, hopefully 2. So, there is a lot of work to be done.

Phew. I just looked at my topic, and it's shít long. Oh well, thank you for reading it. Please reply and answer my qustions.
-Gav

------------------
My name is Gavin, and
dont you ever forget
that.

Mac Vs. Microsoft?
No competition

Slim Shady!!

You think your better?
Break it Down! (DX-WWF)

DEGENERATE!

Phew. I just looked at my topic, and it's shít long.
Oh well, thank you for reading it.
-Gav

Well, after talking about the background of your plug, you finally attracted my attention.

I don't have much sparetime but I'm always good for criticism 😉
I could provide a few ideas or tell you what I don't like... maybe something like what you called "supporter". I also got a new graphics Program (Cinema4D GO) and perhaps I can render some picts for you. I'm still learning and I'm somewhat perfectionistic, so don't expect too much.

Beta-testing is no problem either but I don't think you need some right now.
Just reply if you need another helping hand.

- Marko

Gavin, here is where I come in with my plug-making experience. To create your plug most efficiently, you should plan it all out first, and then proceed in such an order as to have to modify as few resources as possible later. Since many resources in EV depend on other resources, you should make all independent resources first (such as govts), then those that only depend on those, etc. This makes it much, much easier to test as you go along.

My next recommendation is to sit down, and think (with your plug team, of course), and examine the charactersitics of all of your planned governments. This is before you make them. This will make your plug, every single element of it, incredibly obvious and coherent later.

------------------
-Pitr

Phew. I just looked at my topic, and it's shít long. Oh well, thank you for reading it. Please reply and answer my qustions.
-Gav

Gav, this sounds like one of the best plug concepts I have seen yet. I rally hope you will follow through and release this because I want to play it. Sounds as if you are really using the flexibility of EVO to advantage, with multiple story lines an branching plots where the player's actions affect the course of the game. Sounds wonderful!

I want to second Obormot's suggestion that you spend lots of time in planning before you do much with actually creating resources. I am involved in a project that did not really have a plan, and believe me, it is a real pain in the arse to have to continually redesign things because they were not designed to work together.

Wish I wasn't so wrapped up in other thing, I would like to be a part of your project. Not that I could contribute much anyway - you don't need anyone to proofread your text, do you? 😄

------------------
Joe Burnette

Hey...like Joe Burnette, I would too love to help, with graphics, sounds, the works...but I am already up to my neck in work...a TC of my own (65% done) ...graphics for Maridian's TC...ahhh!

TC are very difficult to do without a basic plan. I didn't plan anything, I just started rendering ships, cutting and pasting and now I'm re-building ships, re-programming bugs, fixing typos...sheesh! No worries though, it's totally enjoyable...the development part...until you reach the mission writing protion...=P All I'm gonna say is be sure all of your stuff is original, and NOT edited parts of other plugs or re-colored graphics. Good luck and good riddence.

------------------
~Kwanza~

"Quoted the Kwanza Man...nevermore"

(This message has been edited by Kwanzar (edited 06-02-2000).)

Gavin-You can still do what I asked you to do in (b)MY(/by) STC (Semi-Total Converion), right? You know, the one with all the aliens in it?

------------------
"I never use shampoo with milk or eggs. These are imperialist ideas" - Libyan leader Muammar el-Qaddafi

AIM/AOL-Nador26

Yahoo Messenger-OctoberFost

(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/octoberfost")http://www.geocities.com/octoberfost(/url)

(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/octoberfost/chatroom.html")Unoffical EV/O Chatroom(/url)

Originally posted by OctoberFost:
**Gavin-You can still do what I asked you to do in (b)MY(/by) STC (Semi-Total Converion), right? You know, the one with all the aliens in it?

Yes, of course I can. What you want me to do is fine. I can take 2projects. I will spend some time on each. Because I have politness for others I shall probably be working on your plug as much as mine, and yours will be finished way before mine (I know that via fact). don't worry. I haven't checked my e-mail recently, but if you have sent me a compressed version of your plug, I can do the dudes ect. for you.
-Gav

------------------
My name is Gavin, and
dont you ever forget
that.

Mac Vs. Microsoft?
No competition

Slim Shady!!

You think your better?
Break it Down! (DX-WWF)

DEGENERATE!

I have landing pics on my website for the use of freeware plug-makers (and I will be creating and adding more over time):
(url="http://"http://www.icubed.com/~judelk/evo.htm")www.icubed.com/~judelk/evo.htm(/url)

Other sources of good landing pics:

Artwork by Clare (url="http://"http://www.icubed.com/~ctk/evo.htm")www.icubed.com/~ctk/evo.htm(/url)

Velocity Art Override
cosmics.tripod.com/velocity

and there are others listed on the EVO webpage links and the Hot Links at Blazer's EVO board.

Jude

------------------