Realism Ideas for plugins

ITS JUST A GAME!!
Have you noticed that there are no suns?
Have you noticed that a there are only few ice planets when there should be heaps?
Have you noticed that the stardock alpha is almost the same size as earth? Where did they get the materials then.
Give up please

------------------
Fear is not owning a baseball bat
Fear is also when a guy pulls the bat out of your hands and throws it behind him grinning
THATS when you run!

The reason we have video games is BECAUSE REALITY SUCKS. We play games to escape reality... if we wanted everything to be realistic, we would have a game were you play a loser, with a job you hate... who owns a suckie computer and has a bunch of whining spoiled brats at home.

Also not forgetting a wife who is a *****.
Ok.. I'm through 😃

------------------
tear it down

lol...i know its just a game, but its so nice when its more "realistic" if you know what i mean :rolleyes:

------------------

champion wrote:
**ITS JUST A GAME!!
Have you noticed that there are no suns?
Have you noticed that a there are only few ice planets when there should be heaps?
Have you noticed that the stardock alpha is almost the same size as earth? Where did they get the materials then.
Give up please

I agree. However, I think that there's a lot of scope for plug-in writers to make things more realistic. There's no law that says your plugin can't have suns, or lots of ice planets, or space stations that are tiny or planets that are huge. Or, as Whurp says, that the masses of objects have to be so confusing.

Whurp, I would love to play your plug-in. When's it coming out?

------------------

M A R T I N • T U R N E R

What I've been thinking, after reading this stuff about fighter bays, is that a possible feature for 1.0.2 would be the following: instead of simply a parameter for mass in outfits, two parameters, mass and volume. Same with ships: they have a max weapons mass and volume. So a fighter bay, for example, would take up little mass, but a lot of volume. A fighter would be the other way around: no volume, since there's already a bay, but some mass.

------------------
Analysis, Mr. Spock?

AIM: obormot345

Whurp wrote:
**so how come i can fit one on my lightning?!!?!

Because the Lightning has an unrealistic amount of outfit space.

------------------
"Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

martin: i dont know res edit at all and the ev bible looks like its voinian 🙂
other 2 guys: yes yes and no no....good points anyway...this is getting confusing

------------------

As long as you're careful to make backups, you can change virtually everything except for missions using EV-Edit -- which is very, very easy to use. The EV Bible isn't as daunting as it looks once you've started. By the time you need to use res-edit you'll find that it all needs to make sense. For missions, Schmelta-V works fine, but if you're really interested in enhancing realism, then you probably don't want to do that much with missions.

As far as including suns is concerned, I'm incorporating that into Frozen Heart v2, and would be glad to send you a couple of images of suns for inclusion in your plug-in.

Don't hold back -- I knew nothing about 3-d rendering, Res-Edit, EV-Edit, resource forks, Mac Sound or any of those things when I started on FH. All I had was a story I wanted to tell. You learn as you go.

------------------

Whurp wrote:
**3rdly, we have weapons space...a proton cannon and laser cannon are almost exactly the same size as each other, yet protons weigh a full 3 tons more. same with the turret, they have the same base yet 10 more tons is required. the neutron cannon and mass driver, they are 35 and 40 tons!! for cannons i'd think they could be made down to 6 tons.

Whurp, let is return to freshman Science class for a second. First of all, you're in space, so things don't weigh anything. I am assuming outfit "weight" is measured in metric tons, so that is how much MASS it has. However, the weight thing is important. When you land, gravity takes effect, and without space limits there might be a very emberassing accident. In space, these ships seem to have artificial gravity or some such thing. Anyway, lets talk about MASS. You say a laser cannon and a proton cannon should weigh the same because they take up the same amount of space (volume), eh? Here is a simple test that I think you can handle: Does a 1x1x1 meter block of lead, on earth, weigh the same as a 1x1x1 meter block of plastic? No. So why the hell should 2 things that take up the same volume weigh the same? They shouldn't. No technical stats are included, but the laser cannon may use aluminum coils or some techno-babble thing like that to produce its burst of light. However, the proton cannon might use focused iron magnets to produce a bolt. Aluminum had less mass per volume than iron the last time I checked...its still true, isn't it?

-Dave

For all you paranoids out there all I edited was a homonym error.
------------------
--
"Do or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

(This message has been edited by Dave Lesovoy (edited 04-08-2000).)

when i say weight, im thinking more of volume. as mentioned before, there should be a difference between the volume and mass

------------------

For most ships which don't have to land in planetary atmospheres (or maybe they use antigrav and don't need to be aerodynamic) you could bolt anything onto the outside that didn't fit inside volume-wise. However, if you exceed your ship's mass tolerances, then it will literally tear itself apart on account of turning-forces when you start mavouvering.

It's the same with upgrading (or downgrading) a car (hey, does anyone remember Car Wars?) You can bolt all kinds of things on the outside -- there's a company in Belgium that does car repairs and has half a mini-car sticking out of the roofs of their fleet cars at a very odd angle. This is all fine, as long as you don't exceed the capabilities of your chassis etc.

Chassis can be upgraded, and this is like the additional mass upgrade (which of course takes up volume). Likewise, the volume upgrade (effectively bolting things on the outside) takes up mass.

------------------