EVO Developer's Map 1.0b

Captain Scurvy wrote:

Do you have to convert your plug into 3 seperate plugs (since your editor requires a dat 1, dat 2 and graphics? or can you just open a plug in the editor and it will display it? I tried something like that once and it froze, but i'll give it more memory. Please respond letting me know if I'm even close to the right track ๐Ÿ˜‰

CS(/B)

I just don't load the data files. It starts with a clean slate, for you to
load up a plug, TC or what ever. The planet spob graphics will be gone however, I just made new ones.

------------------
~ThE kWaNzA mAn~
"Thou shalt not mess with the fury of KwAnZa!"

What is the developers map?

------------------
Lance,Captain of the White Swan.

Lance, it doesn't help your reputation to display your ignorance. Have you thought of going to the (url="http://"http://members.chello.se/wmb12729/ev/evomap/html")web page(/url) for the product before you ask stupid questions about it? I thought not.

------------------
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
-Gen. Jack Ripper, Dr. Strangelove

I did'nt see it! :redface:

------------------
Lance,Captain of the White Swan.

Hey Pontus (sp?)

About that memory leak..

Whenever I try and save, EVODM crashes with an error type two. After that, if I open the plugin with Resedit, it's filled with BS STR's. So many that it takes a few moments for my computer to delete them. Perhaps this is the problem?

~S~

------------------
PBS mind in a CNN world

Ok, I've had some time to poke around now, started a new project on it, but it's hard to do what I want to do.

A Zoom function would be nice (or did I just miss it?), as would the possibility of copying and pasting, especially from one document to another. Especially the zoom function. Editing anything out of EVC, for example, is a real pain, because spรถbs get too close together. Oh yes, and texts in some of the dialog boxes are strange. They take strings of text from message buoys. Is this intentional? It's really annoying.

But other than that, it looks like a really nice map editor. Thanks so much for making it! I'll certainly use it as often as I can.

Bubbles

Another thing that would be nice, is if you would load the descriptions of planets, instead of having it come up as an empty box. This is a must.

Chamrin

Bubbles wrote:
**Ok, I've had some time to poke around now, started a new project on it, but it's hard to do what I want to do.

A Zoom function would be nice (or did I just miss it?)**

Try the + and - keys.

as would the possibility of copying and pasting, especially from one document to another.

You can't have more than one document open at the same time anyway. I'll consider it though.

Oh yes, and texts in some of the dialog boxes are strange. They take strings of text from message buoys. Is this intentional? It's really annoying.

Could you please be more specific? Which dialogs are troubling you, and what parts of them.

------------------
If all is not lost, where is it?

Chamrin wrote:
**Another thing that would be nice, is if you would load the descriptions of planets, instead of having it come up as an empty box. This is a must.

Chamrin**

It does load planet descs. As long as it has enough memory; the descs are in the right plug-in; and nothing nasty occurs. Keep trying and tell me if your problems persist.

------------------
If all is not lost, where is it?

The + and - keys work just fine, thanks for pointing that out. I should've known you wouldn't leave that function out.

And the dialog boxes are working fine for me this morning. I don't know why they were misbehaving last night. The problem was that all the non-button text (I don't know what the correct programming term is) was non-sensical. It read things like:
"Message Buoy: This system is under the protection of the Zachit. Renegades, beware!"
where it should have read: "where is Override data 1?"
I think that the mix-up happens after I delete the data file aliases and opened the program to select new ones. The problem seemed to effect every dialog that related to the rest of the computer. (It's clear I'm no programmer, eh?) I mean all dialogs that asked me to search of a file to open or a place to save etc. Am I making sense?

And as for not being able to open seperate docs, the workaround I've been using is just two open to copies of the application. I need it in order to overlap the EVO and EVC universes. Maybe this isn't something people would use very much, but I can think of several instances when I would want it.

Again, thanks so much for making this program.

Bubbles

(This message has been edited by Bubbles (edited 03-29-2000).)

A few things. . .

Can you add a feature to make one way hyperjumps?
Is it possible to add a govt. editor (just a simple one), since govts are so closely tied in with systems?
When will the planet spin picker work - so you don't have to enter PICT id numbers, and is it possible to import in your own PICTs?

This program is a real boon to the EVO community - keep up the good work.

------------------
"Be quiet. I'm inspiring you."
-my Spanish teacher

I really like this program. But there is one thing that bothers me: If two systems are somewhat close together, occasionally clicking on one will cause it to select the other one. Same goes for making links. After a bit of experimenting, I found that I usually have to click a bit above and to the left or down and to the right to get to the system I'm trying for. This is just a little annoying, but livable.

BTW, I was thinking about a few tricks you could do with the program, like making an outline of a picture with systems and links. Quite easy to do, actually. Right now I'm working on a galaxy that is shaped like the shipyard pic for the Rebel Cruiser from EV. (Yes, I am that bored right now) ๐Ÿ˜‰

------------------
Knucklehead, Aeon Productions

=======================

(Insert witty remark here)

Heh. Dont forget you have 5 colors: White, Blue, Green, Red, and Orange.

~S~

------------------
PBS mind in a CNN world

pontus wrote:
**It does load planet descs. As long as it has enough memory; the descs are in the right plug-in; and nothing nasty occurs. Keep trying and tell me if your problems persist.

The problem is still there, I tried as much as 12 megs of ram, and they still don't load. I tried deleting them out of the plug, so only the ones from EVO data were present, they still didn't load.

Also make it so you can open multiple plugs, and close plugs.

And heres another thing, move the default location of the toolbar over to the right about 30 pixels, its always hidden behind my application switcher menu. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Chamrin

Skunko7 wrote:
**Heh. Dont forget you have 5 colors: White, Blue, Green, Red, and Orange.

~S~

I don't think you can start out with a planet already dominated, so Green would not be an option. Also, most of those colors would change during the course of play anyway, but it still is a good point.

Also, I have experienced the crash on save problem that left me with a bunch of stray STR# resources. It only happened when I saved a plug that had a nebu I had created. (particularly, the rebel cruiser...)

------------------
Knucklehead, Aeon Productions

=======================

(Insert witty remark here)