Beam

Particle or Tractor

Which is your favorite? The tractor beam is extremly useful for kiling people, and you need it for the alien mission. The particle beam is fun to mess around with: copy your pilot and then buy a shuttlecraft and see who you can kill.

Particle beam all the way. Against fighters it's damn useful, plus it's fun to blast people backward in general.

No, the Tractor Beam with grabbing those pesky fighters and holding them while you rain a shower of proton turrents onto them. 😄

I suppose it depends on how many you are fighting.

Crow T. Robot, on Feb 23 2006, 01:08 PM, said:

No, the Tractor Beam with grabbing those pesky fighters and holding them while you rain a shower of proton turrents onto them. 😄
View Post

I agree whole heartedly.

But of course, I'm truly all about the Heavy Fusion Beam. 😛

Destroyer E, on Feb 23 2006, 09:37 PM, said:

But of course, I'm truly all about the Heavy Fusion Beam. 😛
View Post

And who isnt? 🆒

beam weapons are for pansies.

To be honest, I never found either of them to be of much use.

I suppose it really depends on what you want out of your ship. The Particle Beam can be used as a general use weapon and is and effective replacement for heavy rockets. The tractor beam, on the other hand, gives you a great amount of leverage when combating the aliens. People have successfully completed the alien missions in a corvette using it. Personally, I get both. There's a slight bug in the game that you can exploit that will let you run through both the Rebel and Confed storylines. Simply accept the opening mission for one side and then accept the opening mission for the other side before you complete the first one. At that point, you're good to take on either storyline. It sort've feels like cheating but it beats playing through the entire game with two different pilots.

If taking that approach doesn't float your boat, just play with both and decide which you enjoy more. (If you have to, temporarily load a cheat plugin to test them out)

-AJ

In my chosen vessel, I haven't yet come across either mission set. Of course, that could be because I tend to stay in a couple of neutral systems plundering Argosies. But I think the particle beam wins for me.

Tractor beam is for filthy terrorists.

Tractor beam. Especially wonderful against ships that rely on heavy rockets; if you lock them facing the other direction, you have a hell of a lot better chance.

The particle beam always got negative points from me because of its fuel consumption; maybe I'm just a cheap bastard.

Tractor beam. I avoid weaps that use up tons of fuel because I like to fight until my armor is almost gone and then use the booster to quickly get out of range before I'm dead.

Tractor beam. No fuel use, and as EVula said it's pwnage against ships with front-arc firepower if you can lock them facing away from you.

Tractor beam is great for boarding ships while on the move (or in combat), I'm a big fan.

I also prefer the Tractor Beam to the Particle Beam. I don't like weapons which use a lot of fuel and it's fun to fight with the help of the tractor beam.

@mrxak, on Mar 16 2006, 08:16 PM, said in Beam:

Tractor beam is great for boarding ships while on the move (or in combat), I'm a big fan.

It's also rather useful if you can disable a Kestrel and its Lightnings. Then you drag the Lightnings into the Kestrel, board it, and hopefully you'll be offered the Lightnings. This is great if you own a Kestrel and want more Lightnings, or you want to make an easy million credits. 😄

The tractor beam is very useful in the last fight against the alien crusier where as the particle beam forces you to fly directly into the ship giving you a faceful of the fusion beam.

The tractor beam, because even the forklift has a tough time killing those **** alien fighters.