An Old Light (Jack's World)

Progress Log & Discussion

Good News! My level set is nearly done; however, if you would like to play the first half then simply download it here:
Jack's World Download

Thanks to ferazel_09 you can now find a shiny, cooler version of my progress log at the following address:
http://ferazelhostin...n/levellist.cgi

Hello everyone I'm Two Jacks, I've mentioned more than a few times that I've been working on a level set for Ferazel's Wand. I've been meaning to put up a progress log for some time now but the only holding me back was that I hadn't come up with a title yet. I finally came up with a decent title, "Old Light". Now I'm lazy and not super great with mascot when it comes to technical things like Perm Flags and map node creation. So I'm just clearing out all of the orignal level's guts and filling them up with my ideas. Since I'm using a duplicate copy of the orignal world data There will be 24 levels (no the levels won't just have "little differences" they will be totally different!) and in my log they will have their original name untill I come up with one of my own. I do know how to work ResEdit. Any suggestions, feedback, or ideas are certanly welcome.

Currently,
Progress log views : 21,400+
Level set downloads : 222+
Feedback responses : 2 (<-- It's Good: 2 - It's Bad: 0)

The story: The war had ended and Ferazel took his leave from the higher lands of Teraknorn. He lived in peace for many years in the deeper caverns, until one day a strange man named Vion apeared. Vion told Ferazel of a new war going on in the higher grounds and that he had been searching for a knight of the old order to help him fight back the evil armies of Xichra. Join Ferazel as he embarks on a quest to rid the land of foul creautures, discover forgotin history, and restore peace to Teraknorn once and for all.

I am going to keep updating this post untill I run out of room, so don't forget to keep checking in. For screen shots of ingame play, click the links under the level name!
Now on to the progress log.

Level 1, The Quest Begins:
Meet a strange man named Vion and start your adventure to save Teraknorn!
This level is complete.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Level 2, A simple Test:
Vion has set up an obstical course that you must complete to prove that your ready!
This level is complete.
Picture 1

Level 3, Terabrine Village:
A nice little underground village with not-so-nice residents. What secrets lie in it's mine?
This level is complete, with no bugs!
Picture 1
Picture 2

Levels 4, The Way Out:
Time to leave the caverns behind and begin your ascent to the surface! No one said it was going to be easy...
This level is complete.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Level 5, Manditraki Warrior:
Xichra's forces are close, too close! Stop this manditraki from progressing any further!
This level is complete.

Level 6, Cross Roads:
Which way will you choose? One way leads to a terrible storm, while the other joins a river. Either way, you're getting wet.
This level is complete.
Picture 1
Picture 2

Level 7, Trouble Downstream:
This river runs deep... with evil! Brave the river and defeat pirates along the way!
This level is complete, except for a few rouge water tiles.
Picture 1
Picture 2

Level 8, Spire Plains:
A storm, spires, a long dark ditch, three paths, two exits and one massive wind blowing through the whole are. Can you pass?
This level is complete.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Level 9, The Goblin Cheif:
One of Xichras generals has had one to many donuts and when he hits the ground he hits hard! Move fast to take down this heavy foe!
This level is complete.

Level 10, The Bridge:
More like half a bridge. The builder lost payment and now the only way to get to the other side is to fly, but where can you find wings?
This level is complete.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Level 11, The Climb:
The doorstep of a terrible fortress, but there's more to this mountain side than meets the eye... Great treasure lies hidden deep within it's core.
This level is complete.
Picture 1
Picture 2

Level 12, The Citadel: HALF POINT!
More trouble than it's worth! Loads of villans, traps, all being watched over by their ruler, a great wizard! Save this once great castle from darkness!
This level is complete.
Picture 1
Picture 2

Level 13, The Boss:
The manditraki lord of the east! Try to avoid his powerful magicks while some how stoping his assault on the lands!
This level is complete, and packed with plot.

Level 14, On the 13th Day of...:
Those aren't elves, they're goblins! Slide your way through deeper into the icy caverns.
This level is complete.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5

Level 15, Freezer Burn:
It's cold... to cold.. and around the corner are more enemies, a cozy village, and terrible demons! Try to stay warm as trouble freezes over!
This level is complete.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4

Level 16, The Devil's Anvil:
It's hot, but that doesn't stop Ferazel! But maybe Vion's barrier will...
This level is complete.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Level 17, What Spiders Know:
A forgotten underground library who's only inhabitants now are spiders. What secrets will unfold in these books?
This level is complete.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Level 18, Smoke and Mirrors:
Things are hot, but all is not as it appears to be... What will you find at the entrance of a vast volcano?
This level is complete.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5

Level 19, The Lick of The Flame:
A loud boom and suddenly everything behind you is being engulphed by flames! Act fast, and think even faster!
This level is complete.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6

Level 20, Deep Fried Habnabit:
Fire rains down as you try to make it to the end of this hellish maze of lava and rock!
This Level is complete.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Level 21, The Salaman Brothers:
Must be related to the demons of the east side of Teraknorn! Doesn't mean this will be as easy!
This level is complete.

Level 22, The Chokey:
You have braved all seven lands of Teraknorn to get this far. Now it's only a bit farther to end of your journey.
This level is under construction.

Level 23, Xichra's Lair:
This is it! The final face off between you and the dread queen! The fate of the world hangs in the ballance!
This level is complete.

Level 24, Grape Soda:
Glug glug glug
Burp

This post has been edited by Two Jacks : 06 November 2008 - 12:44 AM

Sounds like my level. Except, after a while, I got original.

Not really trying to rip off anyone. I thought it would be a good basic plot. Sounds like an insult. 😞

@two-jacks, on Apr 25 2007, 02:25 AM, said in An Old Light (Jack's World):

Not really trying to rip off anyone. I thought it would be a good basic plot. Sounds like an insult. 😞

Nah..don't worry about it. It's been so dang long since we've had a new Ferazel game, nobody has the right to claim anything. Two Jacks, I would love to play your game. Give us the linkie!

Much love,

---Zelda

What link? Only copy of my level set that I have currently is on my computer, and I'm wondering when it would be a good time to upload it. Maybe as I go, or once I'm done? If I choose "as I go" people would have to keep restarting their games everytime a newer version comes out. If I choose "Once I'm done" then everyone is going to have to wait a while, and maybe lose interest. 7 levels down 18 to go. 😛

This post has been edited by Two Jacks : 28 April 2007 - 05:50 AM

Thought I would put up a full list of all the levels. Once I finish Spire Plains and Goblin Cheif, The "The" levels will be pretty easy to complete since I already know what I want to do in them. A recent recount of all the ferazel levels shows me that there actually only 24 levels. 😛

@two-jacks, on Apr 28 2007, 05:48 AM, said in An Old Light (Jack's World):

What link? Only copy of my level set that I have currently is on my computer, and I'm wondering when it would be a good time to upload it. Maybe as I go, or once I'm done? If I choose "as I go" people would have to keep restarting their games everytime a newer version comes out. If I choose "Once I'm done" then everyone is going to have to wait a while, and maybe lose interest. 7 levels down 18 to go. 😛

True. Good point. We'll just have to wait until you've achieved the final version. Just...hurry up why don't you?

---Zelda

@zelda, on Apr 29 2007, 08:18 PM, said in An Old Light (Jack's World):

True. Good point. We'll just have to wait until you've achieved the final version. Just...hurry up why don't you?

---Zelda

I could post up screen shots of certain things you wanted to see. I don't "Hurry" because I only edit when I'm inspired. Started working on the begining of Spire Plains today though. Platforms, winds sheer, and a whole lot of enemies.

@two-jacks, on Apr 30 2007, 12:04 AM, said in An Old Light (Jack's World):

I could post up screen shots of certain things you wanted to see. I don't "Hurry" because I only edit when I'm inspired. Started working on the begining of Spire Plains today though. Platforms, winds sheer, and a whole lot of enemies.

Screen shots are always good.

---Zelda

@zelda, on Apr 30 2007, 07:34 PM, said in An Old Light (Jack's World):

Screen shots are always good.

---Zelda

Well you'll be happy to know that tomorrow I will be adding 1 to 3 screen shots per completed level. They will be in the form of links (I think) and they will be categorized by their level so with every new level I complete more shots will be taken. I hope this will be able to give you an idea of what my level set will be like.

Since my level set isn't complete yet, if there's anything you would like to see in it just let me know and I'll try to fit in somewhere. This will help me make the game more enjoyable for the player, so if there's anything you've wanted to see in Ferazel or an idea you think would be good, just jot it down here.

Gah, back to editing Spire Plains...

Yay! The pictures are up! I like how my progress log feels alot more bulky now and that the view count for this thread is also high! 🙂 Enjpy the screen shots, and sorry about the typo in the first picture! It should say "A day in the life."

I'm just so excited to see that people still design for Ferazel. I wish I still had a Ferazel capable computer though...it was such a good game.

@zqipper, on May 20 2007, 02:41 PM, said in An Old Light (Jack's World):

I'm just so excited to see that people still design for Ferazel. I wish I still had a Ferazel capable computer though...it was such a good game.

That makes me happy and sad at the same time. I wish there was a carbon version of Ferazel's wand but I don't see that happenening. But hey useally public libraries and other places have old computers, use one of them! 😄 If you can get yur hands on an OS9 computer any time soon I hope you'll like my level set. On a lighter note, Spire Plains is nearing completion and I've decided that once I reach the half way point (Manditraki Wizard) I'm gonna upload my level set. That's like... 13 playable levels! Wait that's an unlucky number! I'll have to make it 14 then. You'll be able to play all the levels but once I upload the other half your going to have to start a new game since your save file won't be able to comprehend the new maps. Finally on a side note, I'm looking into sprite editing! After seeing the gray and red robes in Xchira's Revenge pictures I've really wanted to give Ferazel some new robes! I was thinking black with some cool white trimming? and maybe making those fire balls blue... Now that I think about it I really shouldn't be building up peoples hopes with stuff I don't know. Here's hoping! 😛

It's been over a week so I thought I would post up some progress. I've gotten into the start of the level (The Bridge) and have now finished the bridge in the level. Sadly payment fell through due to an unfortunate burglary, and now construction on the bridge has stopped. Looks like the only way to cross is to fly. I'm working on the hang glider area right now and stongly thinking of making a magic carpet section as well, you can never have to much magic carpet I say.

__|--BBG--|/\bridge/\/\.HG.''''''''''''''''''''''''''''_ .MC."""""""""""""""""""_**/

Skeleton level design."_" start and ending points, and the """"" are open air points for hang glider (HG) and magic carpet (MC). BBg = Bridge Builders Guild. My text art doesn't do my level justice. 😛

This post has been edited by Two Jacks : 29 May 2007 - 03:39 AM

What? You meen.. You haven't heard! Update time!

Well time for another one. The Bridge Is now complete and pics will be up soon. This level is sure to give you a rush (of air! wow... I have sunk to bad puns... maybe i need to go reconsider my life?) and put your navigation skills in the red. Hope you like it!

In other news..

I cracked open the Ferazel sprites and had a gander. While I could (somehow) go through every single Ferazel movent sprite, I don't have the paitence (or the time) to all 50-70 of them. It is very possible to make the fireball an ice ball but what the hell, I meen there already is one and the sprite is alot cooler. So no to sprite editing. If you really need a change of sprites get the snowman patch off the add ons page. 🙂

Yay view count broke 500!

My time has recently been eaten up by a game called cave story. Wow if you like Ferazel's Wand, this is a game you should defanitly check out. Here's a link to a tribte page: http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/
I hope that doesn't kill intrest in my level set. 😛

Well off the bridge and up "The Climb".

Back from the crypt it's an update!

Ya I know, I haven't updated in a while.. But the good news is that "The Climb" is now complete and I think it is one of the funest and challenging levels in the whole set! This also puts us three cough two levels away from the half done level set upload. I'm working on "The Citadel" now (The evil goblim fortress!) and if you thought that the gate looked menacing wait till you see the interior. 🙂

I just posted up the images for level 9 and I noticed that I can post an "Image tag", now if i put all my images in tag format would my post run out of room? Also would it make this page hard to load? What ever your thoughts on this are, it's easier for you all to just look at tag and it's tedious for me wich ever way. 😛

First I have to teleport through the world map, get to the right level, fight my way to the part of the level I'm taking a picture of, take the picture, get to the other picture points, quit the game, drag 'em out of the hard drive, open Adobe and turn them into jpegs, upload them onto my e-mail, download them onto this computer (it's the only computer that doesn't crash when I open photo bucket), put the ".jpg" at the end of the titles, then upload them onto photo bucket, get the URL, edit my first post, paste the URLs, complete edit, and DONE!
All this takes only a few minutes not counting having to get the the picture points.

Something that made me laugh... I was beta testing my level when suddenly WOOSH! some thing flew right past me! "What the hell?!" I said in shock. I went looking for it but did not find it, I only wodered why something was flying at high speeds in my level set. I kept running to the picture point when again WOOSH! this time I had caught a glimpse of it and it was a single insect. I didn't think much of it until I got in the levels hang glider. There I was flying, minding my own buisness (Air raiding goblins) when suddenly, WOOSH! BAM!. The damn insect had hot me going about 500 miles an hour. SInce I was in the hang glider it was like Barry Bonds hitting a home run and I flew across the map at incredible speeds! This made me keel over laughing and I decied to keep the lil bug in.

It turns out that an enemy pipe will create even if you are not close to it. Since the insect pipe was so far away that the bug picked up speed as it came closer. Lots of speed! What crashed my comp was when I made an ememy pipe create swarms of bugs, for some reason it didn't wait for the last swarm to be killed before it made another. So it kept creating swarms, more and more untill there were hundreds! I was no where near the pipe and my screen started to lag up, eventualy crash my comp... So I made the start point close to the pipes, quickly ran to them and lo and behold, SWARMS OF INSECTS! That also made me laugh and feel like a needed a hot shower.

Well I think 3 paragraphs of nonsense is enough. Untill next time everyone, adios!

What..? yawn oh yeah mini-update.

Well it's 3am here I should probally get going to bed, spent all night laying backround tiles. I saw that they were getting a lil' bland so I decided to take a look at my earlyer levels. Wow how beautiful, those first few levels are probally my favorites. It's good to go back to basics when your starting to get to fancy and you start crossing the line between fun and challenging. That's what kills a game for me, when you cross that line. It's alright when it's for a big ol' secret but not when it's normal play.

So "The Citadel" is almost done just gotta finish backrounding, some final touches, scenery, enimies, all that stuff. But I seem to love this level for some reason, maybe because it takes out one very tedious task that the other levels don't? (DAMN YOU INER-BORDERS!) Also this level is huge only two big chunks are empty but its for the good, one is semi-empty. I think it's gonna be fun for everyone.

Hmm... Aquaria looks... amazing! Not to mention it comes with a level editor (cue dramatic music stabs). I hope this game doesn't delay my level set.

Ice levels come after "The Boss", but before that I'm gonna post up half of the level set for all to enjoy. Let's see 24 levels in all... after "The Boss" is complete I've completed 13 levels, oh but I'm posting up 14. 😉

Questions: How many people are looking forward to this plug-in? How many people can still play this? How happy am I about the current view count? 🙂

I-pod's on shuffle,
time's passing by,
think that's enough,
for tonight.

oh hello, where did you come from?

No, not that one. The other thing, yeah that's it! The Update!

Well it's that time once again, what's on todays menue? Ah yes fresh fryed level pics! The Citadel is complete! Not without a few upsets, maxed out the sprite pool so wasn't able to get everything I wanted in it, but it's still a great level none the less. Now there's only two cough one 😉 level between you all and half my level set. That and some bugs I need to squash, it's on my to-do list. The Boss will be finished tomorrow, tonight I relax.

In the meen time here's a picture of the B&G layout for "The Citadel" and a picture of me going into the game to test it out. Enjoy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

What?! No way! Update time!

Well I know it's taken some time, but guess what! That's right I've completed 14 levels of my level set. So that meens it's time to post up half of it! You'll also notice some bugs have been eraticated. So umm.. this is awkward,how do I post up half my level set?

Lil' help Zelda?

Awsome! THis topic has broken 1000 (One Thousand) views! Sure it only as 20 replies (as of now) and only 5 of those aren't mine, but who cares! We still broke 1k! Yay for us, who ever we are.

Ferazel is happy to, he expresses his joy with this picture:
YIPEE!
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Two Jacks : 05 July 2007 - 06:50 PM