Where do I download/buy Coldstone?

Like the title says... Where do I download/buy Coldstone?

I can't find any mention of it on your website, except on these forums.

I downloaded an older demo for OS 9, but I want an OS X version now 🙂

Thx!

uhh, do to some major bug problems the game isnt for purchase at the moment. One the bugs are fixed though ASW will notify everyone and we can all sleep at night again. 🙂

@thumbprint, on Apr 2 2006, 03:06 PM, said in Where do I download/buy Coldstone?:

I downloaded an older demo for OS 9, but I want an OS X version now 🙂

So do we all. 😞 So do we all. :mad:

Welcome to the boards, thumbprint. A little checking around on some of the recent (and not so recent) threads will show this to be a sore subject for a long time now.

All I can say is that we've been told it's coming.

It's getting to be a bit like Duke Nukem Forever :laugh: .

I need to post here more often haven't even got my first block!

This post has been edited by Kryten : 03 April 2006 - 09:44 AM

Well I found this link:

http://www.ambrosias...ames/coldstone/

...and downloaded a version (1.01) that is running in OS X Tiger.

Is this buggy? What are the problems?

Well the biggest of the problems is that games made with it won't run at all on recent versions of mac os X. There are other bugs also.

@ledorax, on Apr 4 2006, 10:23 AM, said in Where do I download/buy Coldstone?:

Well the biggest of the problems is that games made with it won't run at all on recent versions of mac os X. There are other bugs also.

Well that sucks.

Are we certain they are working on a fixed-up, Tiger-compatible version? How long has it been that you've all been waiting? If they're just gonna let this program die, they ought to offer the code to the open source community.

Edit:
Hmm... been reading older threads in the forum... seems this IS kind of a sore subject. Sorry, I'm new here. I just want to know the status of it all I guess... maybe an ETA for a new release?

Let me ask this... is it still possible to CREATE / EDIT games in the editor (even though we can't play them yet)? In other words, can I start working on a game idea now, and finish it when they release the new version of the editor, or will it just be a complete waste of time? I guess any answer tothis would be just speculation at this point...

This post has been edited by thumbprint : 05 April 2006 - 08:43 AM

Graphics take up a tremendous amount of time. You can always work on story/action and graphics.

It's not dead yet. We will let this board know immediately if it is. I know it's discouraging, it's been a long time, and if you can't run OS9.2, it's VERY discouraging. But what we CAN do is work on graphics and story.

@shamannils, on Apr 5 2006, 10:16 AM, said in Where do I download/buy Coldstone?:

Graphics take up a tremendous amount of time. You can always work on story/action and graphics.

It's not dead yet. We will let this board know immediately if it is. I know it's discouraging, it's been a long time, and if you can't run OS9.2, it's VERY discouraging. But what we CAN do is work on graphics and story.

I guess I just don't want to put a ton of effort into making graphics, etc. only to have Coldstone die, thereby pretty much wasting all that time. I guess I could still use those graphics in another game engine, but I don't remember seeing any other system that was as dedicated to non-programmers like me as Coldstone is/was.

I really wish that I had bought this program before they took it off the market, and PoG as well. I use OS9 on my own computer and I have both programs and they work just fine, except that they aren't registered, so I can't get very far 😞
Of course, Ambrosia can't keep selling registration codes for a faulty product, but if they let me buy one, I certainly wouldn't complain (nudgenudgewinkwink* Ambrosia top dogs coughgrin* I heard someone got a code by sending an email to the big bad Ambrosia leader man).

@shamannils, on Apr 5 2006, 11:16 AM, said in Where do I download/buy Coldstone?:

You can do more than just graphics, you can run Coldstone completely in OS 9. And as long as you port your game to OS 9, it runs fine as well. The only complication would be if you hadn't yet bought it because the unregistered version can only support up to 40 events.

OS 9 is dead, heh. And seeing as how I have Tiger, well, there is no Classic in Tiger, so I doubt I could really port anything very well (can't test it).

Will it still port to Windows XP? If so, that's good news.

Oh, and no, I don't have the bought/registered version.

@thumbprint, on Apr 5 2006, 08:36 PM, said in Where do I download/buy Coldstone?:

OS 9 is dead, heh. And seeing as how I have Tiger, well, there is no Classic in Tiger, so I doubt I could really port anything very well (can't test it).

Will it still port to Windows XP? If so, that's good news.

I have just finished installing OS 10.4.3 - Tiger on my machine and also have OS 9.2.2 on as well. Most of my older apps open in Classic with no prompting from me. Tiger just knows they are OS 9 apps. By selecting "Startup Disk," I can choose to boot up in either system. When I'm using Coldstone or PoG I boot up in OS 9 and switch back to OS X when I'm done having fun.

There will never be a port to Windows.

Classic will ONLY be on a Tiger system where you had a previous version of OS X that contained Classic, and then upgraded to Tiger.

Mine is a fresh install of Tiger on a new HD, therefore, no Classic. I would actually have to buy a lower version of OS X - AND Tiger - in order to have Classic in Tiger.

There will never be a port to Windows.

I wasn't talking about porting Coldstone itself to Windows, I was talking about porting my GAME to Windows (since they don't work in OS X). From the Coldstone link I posted above:

Coldstone streamlines the design process, creating polished, stand-alone games that run natively on Mac OS, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Windows. Create once, and distribute on whatever platform you choose, with all of the technical details taken care of for you.

I guess what I'm saying is that if I can create my game in OS X, then port it just to Windows, I can create and test it all (since I've got a WinXP computer also). So my question is... are these bugs only in the playable app created for Mac... or are there bugs somewhere in the editor... in the editing process itself?

This post has been edited by thumbprint : 06 April 2006 - 08:59 AM

Actually, I don't think the windows games work well either. There's no audio or something like that...

I'm not sure though, maybe someone else knows more about this?

@thumbprint, on Apr 7 2006, 01:36 AM, said in Where do I download/buy Coldstone?:

Classic will ONLY be on a Tiger system where you had a previous version of OS X that contained Classic, and then upgraded to Tiger.

Mine is a fresh install of Tiger on a new HD, therefore, no Classic. I would actually have to buy a lower version of OS X - AND Tiger - in order to have Classic in Tiger.

Quite incorrect. My father, for instance, bought an iMac G5 which came preloaded only with 10.4.0. I installed Classic onto the machine from the Tiger Extras disk. Works fine. No version of OSX has ever come 'bundled' with OS9, the only way to get OS9 has either been to buy a new machine (look on your extras/software disks for an installer package) or to have an older OS9 disk around.

For instance, when I upgraded to Tiger on my PowerBook, I erased and installed, didn't bother keeping the Classic OS. I then copied an OS directory from an old bootable OS9 CD I keep kicking around, and selected it as a Classic volume - once the necessary extensions were installed, it runs fine.

I only keep Classic around for a couple of older games now anyway. But since it takes up such little space, I can't see much harm in keeping it ^_^

I wasn't talking about porting Coldstone itself to Windows, I was talking about porting my GAME to Windows (since they don't work in OS X). From the Coldstone link I posted above:

Hypothetically, this is possible. From what I recall however, Coldstone compiled games do have some issues in various Windows OS releases - though it is possible for you to to work on such a game. I haven't had much experience in working with Coldstone and Windows unfortunately~

-Andiyar

Quite incorrect. My father, for instance, bought an iMac G5 which came preloaded only with 10.4.0. I installed Classic onto the machine from the Tiger Extras disk. Works fine.

Hmm. They must've changed it recently then, due to people's complaints I assume 🙂

When I purchased my Tiger for home and all the Tigers for my work... Apple, Macwarehouse, and Mac Mall all told me there was no Classic included with Tiger.

There was no "Tiger Extras" disk, either.

@thumbprint, on Apr 7 2006, 02:04 AM, said in Where do I download/buy Coldstone?:

Hmm. They must've changed it recently then, due to people's complaints I assume 🙂

When I purchased my Tiger for home and all the Tigers for my work... Apple, Macwarehouse, and Mac Mall all told me there was no Classic included with Tiger.

There was no "Tiger Extras" disk, either.

Heh. Well, considering he bought the first edition of the iMac G5 last year in May.... not recently, no. 🙂

And by 'Tiger Extras' I mean it's included on the disk that actually ships with new computers (it's a combined install/restore/extras disk)- it doesn't come with Tiger retail. Apple hasn't actually sold OS9 since 2002, if memory serves - and even then, it didn't come with retail versions of OSX, just preinstalls and new machines 🙂

Pretty much the only way to get Classic to run on any newer OSX system is to have an older OS9 disk around somewhere - or, if you're lucky, a software install disk for a machine released since Jaguar was standard 🙂

-Andiyar

Pretty much the only way to get Classic to run on any newer OSX system is to have an older OS9 disk around somewhere - or, if you're lucky, a software install disk for a machine released since Jaguar was standard 🙂
-Andiyar

Heh, that's pretty much what I had said above... or MEANT to say anyway 🙂 You have to have a previous version. You're right though... I do remember Apple telling me that I could only get Classic with Tiger if I bought a new system! OMG was I P.O.'ed. heh

LOL

Anyway, so what are the problems with Windows ports? I'd really like to find out...

This post has been edited by thumbprint : 06 April 2006 - 09:27 AM

My computer is an iMac G3 500 MHz PowerPC. It originally came with OS 9 and OS 10.0 installed. I never used, never even opened, OS 10 because I was so used to the old system and it was working just fine for me. In truth, I forgot OS 10 was included because it did not show up anywhere I looked. I actually thought it was never installed and I've since lost the installation disks.

I recently purchased Tiger and it called for an erase and install. I backed up everything the computer had on it to CDs before the installation. That's when I found the system 10.0. It lives in a folder called "System" while the system 9.2 is in a folder called "System Folder." After installing 10.4, I did not "install" system 9, I simply copied the "System Folder" back onto the hard disk and suddenly had both systems operational.

Maybe this will clarify for some the above discussion about systems. I certainly learned a lot about it in this adventure. 🙂 ~RD