Sound Trouble

Right, down to buisness.

So I am making a Zelda type game inspired by Zelda CGE. I've got a nice big interface, I've got a nice Link animation that attacks, walks and blocks (and for some strange reason, link can move one tile at a time while blocking if you just tap the arrow keys, strange). I am trying to get it so that when Link attacks, he makes the noise of Link in Wind Waker that I got off the net. After turning it into AIFF format with IMA encoding and in Mono chanel with SoundAPP, and then putting the sound in in the animation, I tried Link out on a little test map. No luck. Link made not a sound as he slashed around, much to my chagrin <_<. I tried it with the Slash.aiff sound file, and that works fine. So are there any encoding things that the manuel doesn't lett you know? By the way, the sound files are 16-bit.

Thanks in advance! (but that doesn't meen I won't thank latter!)

Sancatie, on Mar 23 2005, 02:10 AM, said:

Right, down to buisness.

So I am making a Zelda type game inspired by Zelda CGE. I've got a nice big interface, I've got a nice Link animation that attacks, walks and blocks (and for some strange reason, link can move one tile at a time while blocking if you just tap the arrow keys, strange). I am trying to get it so that when Link attacks, he makes the noise of Link in Wind Waker that I got off the net. After turning it into AIFF format with IMA encoding and in Mono chanel with SoundAPP, and then putting the sound in in the animation, I tried Link out on a little test map. No luck. Link made not a sound as he slashed around, much to my chagrin <_<. I tried it with the Slash.aiff sound file, and that works fine. So are there any encoding things that the manuel doesn't lett you know? By the way, the sound files are 16-bit.

Thanks in advance! (but that doesn't meen I won't thank latter!)
View Post

Hello,
I believe that Coldstone requires that the sound be 8-bit instead of 16-bit.

Indeed. And I believe that it has to be PCM encoding.

What you've done with SoundApp sounds right. The last page of the manual tells you the specs.

Anyway, make sure your sound ends with .aiff, not .aif.

8-bit.

Debra, it was your comment that tipped me off. It turns out that Coldstone can use 16-bit sound. The files simply didn't have .aiff!! Well, that makes me feel a lot better! Now I can get back to normal work! Thanks Debra! 😄

You're welcome. If it makes you feel better, I made the very same mistake once I started manipulating my own sound. 😄