Levels & Exp

Gaining levels above 20

I am wondering if it is possible to make your game so that when the player reaches level 20-21, it is possible to gain higher levels, but does it already do that or does have to be done with events? Let me know if you know.

Klobby

Klobby, on Sep 12 2004, 08:31 PM, said:

Let me know if you know.

View Post

You can gain levels higher than 20, I think you can gain levels forever if you want. Above level 20, the "multiplication factor" is used to determine the amount of experiance points needed to level up. :mellow:

Ledorax is correct. The Multiplication factor is used for experience required for levels above 20. The shown 1-20 are for if you would like to have a custom experience for lower levels. I believe Coldstone allows the character to reach an unlimited amount of levels. Even if there is a limit, I have never reached it, and believe me, I have created some high level characters with the use of cheats for my own games.

hmmm, this might be a little off topic, but this topic made me think of it, so, here goes: First, how do you make it so that his life and experience are bars the are full when your exp and life is, and the more you get hurt, there more the bar goes down, you know, like a progress bar for life and stuff, cause so far it only looks like you can use numbers. And second, how do you make it so you can put the players portrait .....wait, nevermind, just figured out my own question lol, :p.

Thanks!

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to be specific, make the progress bar (lol) be in the main (or whatever it is) interface, you know, at the bottom (at least its at the bottom with the one that comes with coldstone). so not the bar when he goes into battle, but it always being there....lol, sry for being confusing.

This post has been edited by gamingstaff : 12 September 2004 - 08:14 PM

Making a "Progress bar" of the life and experience is not easily done. You need to use multiple pictures for the player portrait for each percent of life on the bar. Then have an event that checks the like of the player when the NPC attacks (this event would be best placed as a link to the NPC's attack animation). This method would only give you a life bar. for life and experience you would need to make an image with every possible combination of life and exp that you would display for the player portrait.

GrahamVH, on Sep 12 2004, 07:42 PM, said:

Making a "Progress bar" of the life and experience is not easily done. You need to use multiple pictures for the player portrait for each percent of life on the bar. Then have an event that checks the like of the player when the NPC attacks (this event would be best placed as a link to the NPC's attack animation)...
View Post

But... what events would be used to calculate the percentage ?

Say the player has 30 hp out of 40. That makes 75%. But how would you do that ? I tried to figure out but... I didn't. 😞

So ?

Thanks !

Yeah, what ^ said, but also, the bar would be easy to make, i mean, all you gotta do is make one with full life, then erase a little bit, the save, then erase a little bit, then save, so on and so forth, and the events, sry but if you notice you werent specific at all, (lol), do you think you could be a little more specific? Thanks for your trouble, and sry, lol.

Search for the key words "health meter" on the Coldstone webboard. You'll find a host of previous discussions on this, with several possible solutions presented by a veritable Who's Who of the Coldstone community. I don't think anyone's come up with anything new since then.

You will require 3 variables gb_health, gb_healthmax, and gb_healthper. With the event that is called when the NPC attacks have it multiply the player's remaining life by 10 and store it as gb_health. Then multiply the player's max health by 10 and store that as gb_healthmax. Then Set gb_healthper to gb_health. Then divide gb_healthper by gb_healthmax. gb_healthper will give you the percent you need.
Then set the player portrait to the corresponding percent. If you would like some inaccuracy you can set the player portrait to be for all values greater than x and less than y to be this picture.

Your 30 out of 40 would end up being translated as follows:

gb_health = 30
gb_healthmax = 40
gb_health *10
gb_health = 300
gb_healthmax * 10
gb_healthmax = 400
gb_healthper = 300
gb_healthper / 400(gb_healthmax)
gb_healthper = 75
if gb_healthper = 75 then set player portrait to 75.pic or if gb_healthper is greater than or equal to 70 and less than 80 then use 70.pic

Edit by RD: See amended version below (in next post)

Guest, on Sep 13 2004, 08:18 PM, said:

You will require 3 variables gb_health, gb_healthmax, and gb_healthper. With the event that is called when the NPC attacks have it multiply the player's remaining life by 100 and store it as gb_healthper. Then divide gb_healthper by gb_healthmax. gb_healthper will give you the percent you need.
Then set the player portrait to the corresponding percent. If you would like some inaccuracy you can set the player portrait to be for all values greater than x and less than y to be this picture.

gb_health = 30
gb_healthmax = 40
gb_healthper = gb_health x 100
gb_healthper = 3000
gb_healthper / 40(gb_healthmax)
gb_healthper = 75
if gb_healthper = 75 then set player portrait to 75.pic or if gb_healthper is greater than or equal to 70 and less than 80 then use 70.pic
View Post

Sorry that was me posting that last remark(I thought I was logged in :)) mods if you could please make the corrections to it that I have below.
Don't multiply gb_healthmax by 10, also instead of multiplying gb_health by 10 multiply it by 100.

Edit by RD: I've changed your outline a bit to reflect what I think you meant. Please let us know if this does not match what you want. You don't want to mess with the globals "health" and "Healthmax" as these will affect the game. Use them only as numbers for the resulting gb_healthper which is a representation of current health expressed as a percent. ~RD

This post has been edited by Rubber Ducky : 13 September 2004 - 05:49 PM

Amazing 😮 :blink: , i never thought i would use gb's, but now.....now, i am using them for most of my game....but, sry to say, they are VERY confusing, it might take me a while to figure this out, but ill live, thanks!

Guest, on Sep 13 2004, 02:18 PM, said:

You will require 3 variables gb_health, gb_healthmax, and gb_healthper. With the event that is called when the NPC attacks have it multiply the player's remaining life by 10 and store it as gb_health. Then multiply the player's max health by 10 and store that as gb_healthmax. Then Set gb_healthper to gb_health. Then divide gb_healthper by gb_healthmax. gb_healthper will give you the percent you need.

gb_health = 30
gb_healthmax = 40
gb_health *10
gb_health = 300
gb_healthmax * 10
gb_healthmax = 400
gb_healthper = 300
gb_healthper / 400(gb_healthmax)
gb_healthper = 75
View Post

Thanks ! I'll try to do it in my game...

Potomax, on Sep 13 2004, 09:48 PM, said:

Thanks ! I'll try to do it in my game...
View Post

Best look at the amended version first. 🙂

I've done this for my game and it works. I hope I can remember it all, but here's a shot at what I did.

I think in terms of percentages. Make 10 bar graphics. Every 10% of the bar is longer. Place all graphics in events/pics folder.

make a global: gb_healthbar

EVENT #1:
Make an event called add stats. In it:
change global: set gb_healthbar to 0
change global: global of gb_healthbar, add stamina
change global: global of gb_healthbar, add experience.
call EVENT #2.

This makes the gb_healthbar be stamina + experience. You have to reset it all the time at the beginning for it to run correctly.

EVENT #2:
In another event: Determine what level the Player is at. If the Player is at level 1, then call level one array, etx.

EVENTS #3 to 23:
If you have 20 levels, you will have 20 different SETS of percentages, and consequently 20 level array events.

Level one array event, let's say, the Player's maximum combination of stamina and experience = 100.

Make a series of conditionals:

If gb_healthbar is greater than 0 and less than 10, then dialogue graphic 1.
If gb_healthbar is equal or greater than 10 and less than 20, then dialogue graphic 2.

etc.

Be very careful that you do not overlap a conditional. That is, do not give the engine more than one and only one choice. That will crash the game.

Yes, you will repeat this for all 20 levels, but the maximum of stamina and experience is higher each level. Again, you're looking at percentages. And, yes, it's a lot of work.

Make a keydown h (if you want). Tie it to EVENT #1.

It's sweet.....
😄

Rubber Ducky, on Sep 13 2004, 04:51 PM, said:

Best look at the amended version first. 🙂
View Post

Yeah... the "amended" version makes more sense...

thanks