Game Error?

I checked on Straytoaster's site, and my game meets minimum requirements (I wanted to get an early build to see how it works so far...) but before I built it, I wanted to test through that nifty little button at the end of the toolbar. Well, at first I had a few errors, but I fixed those. Once again I clicked the button and hey, it started loading! ๐Ÿ™‚ Well, it worked well until somewhere in the loading process, it unexpectedly quit. The computer error message gave no other reason. I still have not tried a build of it. I am running OSX 10.2.6 (or whatever the latest version is.) I have no idea what is going wrong, as nothing like this has happened with any of my earlier experimentations with Coldstone...any help would be appreciated!

------------------
He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not, is a slave. -William Drummond
Ambrosia Beta Tester!

Is your character positioned within the bounds of the map? When loading a map the engine will crash if it is not. When loading a main layout there should be no problem there.

------------------

Originally posted by Mr. Somebody:
**I checked on Straytoaster's site, and my game meets minimum requirements (I wanted to get an early build to see how it works so far...) but before I built it, I wanted to test through that nifty little button at the end of the toolbar. Well, at first I had a few errors, but I fixed those. Once again I clicked the button and hey, it started loading!:) Well, it worked well until somewhere in the loading process, it unexpectedly quit. The computer error message gave no other reason. I still have not tried a build of it. I am running OSX 10.2.6 (or whatever the latest version is.) I have no idea what is going wrong, as nothing like this has happened with any of my earlier experimentations with Coldstone...any help would be appreciated!

Is everything (graphic-wise) within your game project at 72 dpi? I have had a similar experience and I think that was to blame.

------------------
"The fate of the world rests within your hands. Don't drop it." Michael Cimorelli Jr.

Originally posted by jeroen goulooze:
**Is your character positioned within the bounds of the map? When loading a map the engine will crash if it is not. When loading a main layout there should be no problem there.

Well I'm trying to load the splash screen, so that can't be it.

Originally posted by zerowarrior150:
**Is everything (graphic-wise) within your game project at 72 dpi? I have had a similar experience and I think that was to blame.

Possibly...how do I check that?

------------------
He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not, is a slave. -William Drummond
Ambrosia Beta Tester!

Open the images you used in photoshop, choose from the image menu 'Image size'. Then you can see. One other issue: do the images are the right kind? Only picts without alpha, PNG and JPG.

------------------

**Possibly...how do I check that?

Do What Jeroen has said to do, and also try to save as much of the files in PNG format as possible. JPEG is destructive to the image, PNG keeps it as close as possible, and PICT really isn't that great. Come to think of it, after you save the new file, have graphic converter crunch the size down for you a little bit too. But maybe you'll want to save doing that until the end. Let me know how you make out.

------------------
"The fate of the world rests within your hands. Don't drop it." Michael Cimorelli Jr.

(This message has been edited by zerowarrior150 (edited 06-06-2003).)

(This message has been edited by zerowarrior150 (edited 06-06-2003).)

Assuming that dpi is Pixels/Inch then I'm set. I went to the window you talked about...and I couldn't find anything labeled something similar but I figure "d______ pixels inch" is dpi. (Possibly "density?")

I'm about to test it...literally...give me a minute ๐Ÿ˜‰

No good. It reads: The application "Escape From Alcatraz" has unexpectedly quit. The system and other applications have not been effected.

HELP!?!? ๐Ÿ˜•

------------------
Ambrosia Beta Tester!

I wish I could be of any help here.

I asume that all you do is start a game to a main screen.

Check if you have set the location type of the screen you are teleporting to when starting up is set to main and not to map.

Check the minimum requirements.

Try to rebuild from scratch.

Sorry

------------------

OK, my first question here is this: in your first post it sounds like you can't actually build the game at all. Is this the case, or is it that the game application itself is crashing?

If the former, it's a bit harder. First off, the 'Launch' button or command doesn't actually work properly in OSX. In version 1.0.0 it launches an OSX .app that is very, very unstable and doesn't really work. In version 1.0.1 it only creates a Classic version, probably because it wasn't possible to fix that. So, if you're clicking the 'Launch' button in OSX, stop. From the Game menu, choose 'Build' and create a build of the game that way. Otherwise, you might run into no end of troubles.

Now, for the second case. If I'm reading it right (and if my first guess was wrong) then you click 'Start Game' or something similar, and it crashes when loading the first map? If this is the case, open up the map in Coldstone, and make sure that there are at least two layers in the layers menu, one named <<Player>> and the other named... well, anything really. If there is only one layer in that menu, you must create another one, or the engine will crash when it tries to display your map.

Let us know,

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

Originally posted by Tarnฤ‡lion Andiyarus:
OK, my first question here is this: in your first post it sounds like you can't actually build the game at all. Is this the case, or is it that the game application itself is crashing?

The application. It gets to the loading screen and crashes. No farther.

Do you have a loading screen (ie, a Loading Dialog layout) defined? I know you said your game meets the requirements, but thought I'd check anyway.

------------------
'You can either be on the stage, just a performer, just going through the lines...or you can be outside it, and know how the script works, where the scenery hangs, and where the trapdoors are. Isn't that better?'
-- T. Pratchett

Originally posted by Glenn:
**Do you have a loading screen (ie, a Loading Dialog layout) defined? I know you said your game meets the requirements, but thought I'd check anyway.

Yup. It's the futuristic one.

------------------
Ambrosia Beta Tester!

(quote)Originally posted by Mr. Somebody:

The application. It gets to the loading screen and crashes. No farther.**(/quote

OK. At least that's something....

(QUOTE) **
I have worked fine with the launch command before, it loaded a different game, to the start screen and into the maps. Now, I can't ever get to the start screen, let alone, the main game. I'll try working with a build.

So, I really have no idea what is wrong.**(/quote)

OK. So you open the app, it launches, brings up the loading box then dies? I remember having that error once, ages ago..... I just don't remember exactly why..

Open your StartGame.cet event and make sure that a valid Teleport action is called to a valid Main location for your start screen. It's possible that the event can't find anywhere to go to, so it's killing the app. Also, make sure that you still have a Startup Screen.clo and .pict/.png in the appropriate folders (or whatever you called them) so that they are definitely present.

Also, see if you can make a list of what you changed since the last time it built and worked for you. Chances are it's something in there.

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"