Coldstone Statistics Rolling

What criteria does Coldstone use to roll a new character's stats? What are the default ranges?

I've observed how classes and races will influence the possibilities, but how does Coldstone do it beyond that?

------------------
Non cognosco quo modo dicere linguam latinam bene.

Its not really a big deal. You can just hand do all of them yourself by making random globals and assigning them to the attributes

------------------
The word politics is derived from the words poly, meaning many, and tics, referring to blood sucking parasytes.

I know that, but I rather like the idea of a reroll button. Oh well...

------------------
Non cognosco quo modo dicere linguam latinam bene.

u can still do that...

------------------
The word politics is derived from the words poly, meaning many, and tics, referring to blood sucking parasytes.

Why not just test it? Use a class/race combo with no stat mods, and "Reroll" a couple dozen times. You should be able to make a pretty good guess. Here's a quick start from me:

From 19 sets of statistics rolls:
Average: 11.719
Standard deviation: 3.058
Min: 6
Max: 18

I'm not certain, but that looks to me suspiciously like the good old "Roll 4d6 and drop the lowest" method of classic D&D.;

From the same 19 rolls, for resistances:
Average: 28.833
Standard deviation:4.955
Min:20
Max:40

I also note that the resistance rolls seem to come in groups - the greatest difference I've seen within any set of resistances is 6.

Lacking any official response from Dee, this would seem like a pretty good way to start.

------------------
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
Only member of the webboard to gain 2 karma points by writing a flame, and openly atychiphobic since 2000.

Glenn - the man, the machine, the mathamatician. He can add, subtrack, multiply and divide and yes he can do stats as well.

Sorry , but it all fit to nice not to make some sort of comment. And thank you for figuring this out.

------------------
Squak - the seal
makes the noise not
the approval

To avoid doing anything more productive at the present time, I decided to perform a bit more thorough data collection.

After 100 rolls, here's the analysis:

My guesses

• I think stats are rolled individually as 4d6, drop the lowest die, and round all results below 7 up to 7.

• I'm not certain how resistances are rolled, but there's definitely a bell-curve distribution going on, centered around 25-30%. Results suggest that there is some sort of connection within a set of four resistance rolls, as they tend to have very similar values.

• I'm not certain how HP and MP are rolled, but there's definitely a bell-curve distribution centered around 16-17.

In more detail...

Stats
Each stat follows approximately the same distribution, independent of the other stats:

• Average: 11.5

• Standard deviation: 3.1

• Minimum: 7

• Maximum: 18

• 7 is the most frequent stat (12%) and 18 is the least frequent (2%). The frequency tends to decrease for each higher value, but it's not a very strong correlation.

• If one disregards the anomalously high frequency of 7, the remaining frequencies actually look rather bell-curve like.

Magic Resistances
Each resistance follows approximately the same distribution, but it appears that the resistances are in some way calculated as a group:

• Average:27

• Standard deviation: 4.1

• Minimum: 17

• Maximum: 39

• Greatest variation within a resistance set (max to min): 9 points, with the average being 3.6 points.

• Resistances appear to follow a bell curve, with 25% being the most common (7.8%) and the frequency dropping off to zero at either extreme.

HP

• Average: 16

• Standard deviation: 4

• Minimum: 9

• Maximum: 29

• HP appears to follow a bell curve distribution.

• Note that I didn't correct for the effects (if any?) of high vitality on the starting HP roll.

MP

• Average: 17

• Standard deviation: 4.5

• Minimum: 8

• Maximum: 30

• MP appears to follow a bell curve distribution.

• Note that I didn't correct for the effects (if any?) of high wisdom on the starting MP roll.

...Whew. That's enough for me, I think. If any of y'all want more information, calculate it yourself. 😛

------------------
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
Only member of the webboard to gain 2 karma points by writing a flame, and openly atychiphobic since 2000.

Whoa. I would like to commend you, Glenn. If I could give you karma, you might get two.

------------------
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Thanks, spitfire, squak. 🙂

((self ego) increaseGreatly);

Just a quick note - as I look at that data again, it seems more likely to me that the stats roll is 3d6, rather than 4d6. shrug.

------------------