AvaraRedux alpha

@macaran, on Dec 24 2008, 03:12 PM, said in AvaraRedux alpha:

Very early footage.

Very sharp! Let us know if you need any help (testing, coding, graphics, etc.)

@yellowbkpk, on Dec 24 2008, 08:46 PM, said in AvaraRedux alpha:

Very sharp! Let us know if you need any help (testing, coding, graphics, etc.)

Yellow, if you have an AIM email it to gcondon@gmail.com. My main development will be on windows, though I will do intel osx builds when I have access to my parent's/friend's macs.

I can certainly use level designers (this is not for the weak of heart) and models.

Right now I'm still implementing avara-like gameplay, and ironing out some network issues. After I get a single hector running top notch I will be adding the light/med/heavy and teams.

Next push will hopefully also include a UI that shows how many grenades/boosters/whatnot you have. Right now you have to keep track in your head! 😮

Wow, this looks awesome!

If you want, I could upload the video to YouTube (I think) if you're unable to. That way no one has to sit through the download time.

Still, great to see you're still making progress on this.

I can handle regular OSX builds if you want. However, I won't be much use in the programming dept as my programming time is being taken up by xsera.

Making the plasma shots red so they are easily distinguishable from grenades would be a nice touch.

This post has been edited by LNSU : 24 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

@macaran, on Dec 24 2008, 02:12 PM, said in AvaraRedux alpha:

http://rapidshare.com/files/176474931/Avar...multiplayer.avi

Posted this up on YouTube: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pQV8IW6E0qE

It's not done processing yet, but still useful.

By the way, I sent you an e-mail, MacAran.

Build 0.1.1 is out! This is the first version that even halfway represents Avara-style gameplay.

Download it at:

http://redmine.yellowbkpk.com/projects/lis...les/avara-redux

If you use the mac version be sure you are aware of this bug and it's work around:

http://redmine.yello...issues/show/134

Hosting is generously provided by YellowBkpk.

If you want to play a game I am usually around AIM is gwiphan.

EDIT: And if anyone makes some good multiplayer videos... post them on youtube for me 😮

This post has been edited by MacAran : 27 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

I just downloaded it. I got this message upon trying to start the application in the AvaraRedux 0.1.1 folder:

"You cannot open the application "AvaraRedux" because it may be damaged or incomplete."

When I tried to start the app in the __MACOSX folder it gave me:

"An unexpected error occured (error code -10810)."

I am running an eMac with OS X 10.3.9.

I didn't even get an error message, my copy was so damaged and incomplete.

I am running an intel MacBook with OS X 10.4.11.

@nathan, on Dec 27 2008, 07:57 PM, said in AvaraRedux alpha:

I didn't even get an error message, my copy was so damaged and incomplete.

I am running an intel MacBook with OS X 10.4.11.

Try downloading from here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/177355005/Avar...x_mac_0.1.1.zip

Please tell me if that version is corrupt. If it works, blame Yellow for breaking the other one. 😮

Still getting the same errors.

By the way: I'm retarded.

Yes, I forgot to mention, this will work on intel macs only.
Sorry old timers. You can slap me later.
At any rate, there is a new youtube video that is one build away from the current build. Only thing changed in the download version is the inflight light on grenades is turned off and the lazerbolt speed has increased.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJKIw2vwD7M...feature=related

@macaran, on Dec 27 2008, 06:57 PM, said in AvaraRedux alpha:

By the way: I'm retarded.
Yes, I forgot to mention, this will work on intel macs only.
Sorry old timers. You can slap me later.
At any rate, there is a new youtube video that is one build away from the current build. Only thing changed in the download version is the inflight light on grenades is turned off and the lazerbolt speed has increased.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJKIw2vwD7M...feature=related

Damn, any plans for a 10.3.9 version at this stage in developement?

Maybe once Xsera is done...

@Nathan
Try this download link: http://rapidshare.com/files/177439400/Avar...x_mac_0.1.1.zip
I recompiled to include more CPUs. If it launches to the main menu, but crashes when you try and start a game, it means your CPU can't run the renderer code.

@Two Jacks
I tried compiling with the 10.3.9 os target and my compiler blew up. Seriously, I thought it would have a buffer overflow with that many errors.

Though honestly I thought it was supposed to work on 10.3.9, at least they had me install the 10.3.9 compatibility layer.

/shrug.

Well I'm off to work on the next version, good times ahead!

Still doesn't work. I just get this...
Posted Image

Any chance that it might run in 10.4 on a PPC?

@-carlet--wordfish, on Dec 28 2008, 11:37 PM, said in AvaraRedux alpha:

Any chance that it might run in 10.4 on a PPC?

It will never run on PPC, the render code is i386 specific. Sorry. 😞

(The only possibility is if there is a future version of the engine I am using that supports PPC and I port the code over to it. (which would depend entirely on how much it cost, as I've already spent $300 on the project :o))

@Nathan
It seems to me that your processor is not i386 compliant. The last thing you can try is clicking a bunch of time in the white space. That should bring up the main menu even if the loading screen fails to display. From there you can try starting a game and see if it crashes or not.

Wow... keep up the good work! This is the first time I've seen anything even remotely avara-like come from someone's avara-sequel project. It runs fine on my comp, (Mac Pro, GeForce 8800) though the anti-aliasing option doesn't seem to do anything, and the shadows are square. ^_^

I'm sure you're working on adding new stuff right now, but when you get around to tweaking details, the walker needs a little vertical bounce to go with each foot step. Holding jump should crouch, and deeper crouches should lead to slightly higher jumps. I think the original avara had a dynamic system set up to keep track of each leg and if its segments are colliding with objects... I guess all of those are tied together.
Missiles would be nice, but I guess the behavior is kinda complex compared to grens or plasma... The missile only turns if it can see it's target, and would need some kind of targeting interface.
Umm... Plasma needs a little tweak. The left and right barrels should act independently and have separate charge indicators. Pressing the fire button fires the most charged barrel, assuming one of them is above the hull-type-defined minimum charge level. Oh yeah, hull types. 🙂
... And the projectiles need in-flight noises.

Ok, ok. It's looking good. 🙂

Anyone know where I can find a medium hector model? I added the classes, but I don't have a model that looks like the original medium.

Also missiles are in, though targeting is currently manual until I can figure out how to trigger it on mouse over.

Teams yes... in the sense that they make your hull a different color, no in that they don't change scoring at all yet. Speaking of scoring I could use some suggestions on how to handle the avara lives system. In avara everyone started the game at the same time, in redux people can join mid-game. It would be unfair to give them the full three lives, but how to calculate how many lives they get? Or should I bite the bullet and add a lobby and people who connect well a game is going are just observers till the next game?

Fixing plasma is non-trivial, though it's on the to-do list. Head bob is an extremely easy fix that I'm not going to do. 😮 Mainly because it involves the time consuming re-rigging of a bunch of models and I don't want to do it until I have the models I want.

As for jumping I haven't started on it yet, but I have a few ideas. The main problem will be changing how much you jump based on how far down you crouched. That will likely be put on the back burner for a while (involves rewriting several datablocks) and the first incarnation of jumping will be a simple down till you release then all the way up.

I'm afraid tracking each leg's contact surface is not currently possible, the animations are baked. 😕 (This also makes running look very funny since the animation has to be able to loop.)

Lastly noises, no idea. If I new how to extract resource forks I might be tempted to use Avara's sounds as placeholders... but I'm too stupid to figure out how to get ResEdit to do anything but view them. So for now there will still be generic or no sounds for many of the things that should have sound. Besides, I have no idea how to attach a sound to a projectile anyway. 😮

Thats it for now, the latest builds are PC only and it will probably be a while before I compile another mac version.

All the BSP models for Avara come with the download of the original game, if you have any way to use them.

For multiplayer, I think your "bite the bullet" option would be best.

I figured the walking animations were sprite-like so it would be very difficult to faithfully replicate the HECTOR's movement. Is there any way to add a little inertia to the movement so it doesn't just come to an abrupt stop?

For noises, I was going to suggest using Ambrosia's WireTap to record them from gameplay, but they don't seem to offer the free version anymore. Unless you wanna shell out the $69 for the Studio version.

Also, do you have a Scout?